As neato sharpedo as it sounds, cross-server PVP is a bad thing.

ndruo

At least, it's a bad thing for a server's community.

There's no reputation to be gained, no notoriety to develop, no consequences - there's only a points grind with strangers and a means to accrue commendations. You won't get to develop a list of worst nemeses or most treasured allies, because chances are you're not going to see them with enough frequency for them to leave you with a lasting impression.

Yes, I know - Sith are sick of playing Huttball. It's an evil that's a direct result of the faction imbalance, and the theory is without cross-realm PVP, Sith are going to be playing just as much Huttball as they have been.

The thing is, the faction imbalance is fairly consistent regardless of which server you look at. That is to say, there are more Sith than Republic on just about every server. So half of your servers are going to play less Huttball than they had been, and the other half are going to be playing comparatively more Huttball. The differences won't be huge - I'm pulling this number out of my butt, but it's like if you play 60% Huttball it would be likely to drop to 57% or something along those lines.

So I guess the point I'm trying to make is allowing for cross-server battlegrounds won't solve the excess Huttball problem Sith seem to want to fix. More Republic players is the only solution that will give them what they want.

Edited by ndruo

I will stop queueing Warzones immediately and indefinitely if they go cross-server. Didn't do 'em in WoW after the change and won't do 'em here.

I like seeing recognizable names/faces in my enemies, thanks.

Edit: Just realized this post seems like I'm arguing with you when I am in fact steadfastly agreeing with you.

Didn't mean it to come across so snarky.

Edited by Bekkal

I can see the appeal of fostering a sense of 'community' by being able to recognize players. However, you can get that if you go to Illum or do world pvp. Especially once decent rewards for world pvp are available.

Also, I wouldn't mind cross-server flashpoints, or at least an ability to queue up for them rather than having to trek back to the Fleet every time I want to queue up, which really breaks up my leveling.

Generally I'm lukewarm about the cross-server pvp, but to say you'd 'quit' is just silly.

At least, it's a bad thing for a server's community.

There's no reputation to be gained, no notoriety to develop, no consequences - there's only a points grind with strangers and a means to accrue commendations. You won't get to develop a list of worst nemeses or most treasured allies, because chances are you're not going to see them with enough frequency for them to leave you with a lasting impression.

Yes, I know - Sith are sick of playing Huttball. It's an evil that's a direct result of the faction imbalance, and the theory is without cross-realm PVP, Sith are going to be playing just as much Huttball as they have been.

The thing is, the faction imbalance is fairly consistent regardless of which server you look at. That is to say, there are more Sith than Republic on just about every server. So half of your servers are going to play less Huttball than they had been, and the other half are going to be playing comparatively more Huttball. The differences won't be huge - I'm pulling this number out of my butt, but it's like if you play 60% Huttball it would be likely to drop to 57% or something along those lines.

So I guess the point I'm trying to make is allowing for cross-server battlegrounds won't solve the excess Huttball problem Sith seem to want to fix. More Republic players is the only solution that will give them what they want.

Long queue times suck though. I think the ideal situation is a compromise:

Pair each server up with one sister server and allow cross-server warzones between them to lower queue times on imbalanced servers. You still get a sense of community/infamy, albeit on a slightly larger scale.

edit: The problem isn't just huttball and it'll be less of a problem when other WZ are introduced. It's queue times.

Edited by golfwang

I think they will need to add cross server for Rated Warzones, when those get implemented. Otherwise there will be little competition for some servers (speaking from experience, we would probably never lose a game with our A team on Wound in the Force). For normal warzones, I agree completely. No cross server.

There is no community to speak of at all at the moment. Not even a server forum to talk ****! I agree that single server wz's are better. I like the community. I like knowing exactly who is good and who is terrible. A server forum is needed and we need to be able to check the scoreboard in a wz match at the very least before a match starts so we can see who is on the other team. This helps the community! If they aren't going to bother helping to foster the community then they might as well do cross server wzs to lower the queue time.