Failing Ability Fix!

Mordjin

So I have found out what is making some abilities fail when you click on them (you see the animation but you have to spam the button 3-4 times before an ability will go off... especially on off-Global Cool Down Abilities).

Go into preferences and turn the ability queue time down to 0.0

After i did that I quit having abilities fail (except when i hit them during the GCD obviously)

But i never failed a riposte, overload saber, or zen activation after that.

Master strike bugged out sometimes, but at a much lower rate.

No Dice. It's a core issue where the game prioritize animation over action. Take Force Sweep for example. The damage isn't calculated until the end of the animation so you start a Force Leap, get knocked back midair and hit no one. Or you start the animation when there are 5 people around you, they all get knocked away, you land and no one takes damage.

You can also see it with mounting your speeder. The bar fills up, you move forward but the mount animation hasn't completed yet so it dismounts you. Thus, you add an extra 0.5 seconds AFTER the mount bar has completed so the animation can finish.

It's not a simple fix tho and it makes me wonder *** the people in beta were doing for a year.

Edited by Maefly

I have not noticed any extra animations since i have made the change.

Again the only ability that is causing problems now is Master's strike... but even that one isn't as often.

Before, for example, while attempting to use riposte, I would hit the button and i would see a partial animation... I would have to hit it 2-3 more times to get the ability to actually go off.

My main issues were with Zen and Overload saber not activating until i spammed the button 3-5 times. Since i implemented the change i haven't had any problems.

No Dice. It's a core issue where the game prioritize animation over action. Take Force Sweep for example. The damage isn't calculated until the end of the animation so you start a Force Leap, get knocked back midair and hit no one. Or you start the animation when there are 5 people around you, they all get knocked away, you land and no one takes damage.

You can also see it with mounting your speeder. The bar fills up, you move forward but the mount animation hasn't completed yet so it dismounts you. Thus, you add an extra 0.5 seconds AFTER the mount bar has completed so the animation can finish.

It's not a simple fix tho and it makes me wonder *** the people in beta were doing for a year.

The OP isn't referring to ability delay, he's referring to an issue where the ability simply doesn't activate. I've had this happen a lot lately. You'll spam press an ability and it triggers a GCD but the ability doesn't actually execute. I will try this change and see how it goes. I wonder if increasing the time and stop spamming would help too?

I know it's an issue with other skills too, but the Force Sweep one that you describe here totally makes logical sense even if it is annoying. Why would a skill do damage before you finish sweeping your lightsaber around? And if there's no one in the range when you finish sweeping, why would they take damage? That's fine by me, even if it means I occassionally whiff.

The stutter issue, however, is one that needs to be fixed. I hate it when my Sentinel starts pump-faking when I'm trying to drop Cauterize.

I'm actually the opposite. I have set my queue timer to 1 second and rarely have things fail on me. I like queuing up my abilities while the GCD is going since it allows me time to move out of AOE's and still use my abilities. I realize that a lot of the damage from attacks doesn't come until after the animation happens but even with a 1 second queue I rarely have things fail.

I set it to 0.0 a longass time ago, and OGCD abilities still fail, though at a slightly lesser rate.

Some guys I know who sank a lot of time into Beta said that the UI in regards to this issue was 100% fine until BioWare added the ability queue. Then it went to hell.

From what i have been reading and hearing .the beta seems to of played smoother in every aspect.From my experience of player games.usually they use beta to improve and make sure everything will be running smoothly....clearly not the case here.

We did our damn jobs, those of us who took it seriously. MANY of the points raised on the launch boards were brought up months ago in some cases, and new issues only came about after beta. I assure you, we had nothing like the ability stutter problem several builds ago.

We did our damn jobs, those of us who took it seriously. MANY of the points raised on the launch boards were brought up months ago in some cases, and new issues only came about after beta. I assure you, we had nothing like the ability stutter problem several builds ago.

Yes we did. I reported ability stutter in beta constantly. It was known as hitching then.

The problem was, as we were told by a dev at the time, that we were only there for stress testing. After I was told that, dismissed in that manner, I stopped bothering trying to report issues.

So I have found out what is making some abilities fail when you click on them (you see the animation but you have to spam the button 3-4 times before an ability will go off... especially on off-Global Cool Down Abilities).

Go into preferences and turn the ability queue time down to 0.0

After i did that I quit having abilities fail (except when i hit them during the GCD obviously)

But i never failed a riposte, overload saber, or zen activation after that.

Master strike bugged out sometimes, but at a much lower rate.

I just tried it but still having the same issues with abilities failing, specially the ones off global and ones that requires zero focus, like Zen and Rebuke. Zealot Strike also keeps failing and have to push it 2-3 times to fire off. I was so excited when I read this, but alas It did not fix it for me.

Does this also stop the whole:

You hit the button, your character starts to do the animation, then the animation stops midway through thing or suddenly re-does the animation for no reason?

God I hate that. Sweep, Slash and Blade Rush do this to me all the time.

Edited by Toweleeeie

Happens all the time on Blade Storm form me.

Press hotkey, animation starts and then ends halfway through. I then have to actually press a hotkey for a different skill first then Blade Storm will trigger without probs.

Doubt changing that will fix it though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.