Will dual boxing be implemented?

Mookiethejookie

Dual boxing is already available. Just install the game on two computers, and log into both at the same time with two different accounts.

If you mean when will the game support instancing? Who knows, maybe never. (instancing is where you run multiple copies of the same program on a computer, Eve Online supports this).

A potential work-around would be to install a second copy of the game. This typically allows running multiple game clients on a computer, even if the game doesn't support instancing.

I have 2 accounts , I want to run them on 1 computer.

I load up one account in windows mode, then i load up the 2nd account, before the second account starts it gives me a message....Something like "A copy of swtor is already running , would you like to close it down?"

So I cant run 2 copies at the same time on one computer.

Dual boxing is already available. Just install the game on two computers, and log into both at the same time with two different accounts.

If you mean when will the game support instancing? Who knows, maybe never. (instancing is where you run multiple copies of the same program on a computer, Eve Online supports this).

A potential work-around would be to install a second copy of the game. This typically allows running multiple game clients on a computer, even if the game doesn't support instancing.

Actually dual boxing, in its purist meaning is that, however it also, generally means running 2 instances of the game on the same computer.

I belong to a webite of like minded individuals all waiting to see if this is gonna change, were eager to play.

I found out the hard way by assuming I could do this in swtor since ive never had this problem in any other mmorpg.

Not every MMO allows it and many did not allow it at launch and had to be patch in later. For now if you want to multibox you will need multiple boxes.

And while I agree 16 accounts for 1 guy is better then 1 account for 1 guy I do not foresee BW or EA rushing this in.

Yes it works on one computer. Log into one character, then start up the launcher for the other characters, one at a time. I am currently multi boxing, however, you will need to develop your own method to get follow to work as I have done. Long live mulit- boxers!

Edit: the problem is their launcher, not the actual game.

Edited by Zaner

I did quintuple boxing on WoW and it was easy because WoW had its own macro-system built into the game, and according to the Rules and Regulations of SWTOR, your not allowed to use any third-party macro program and their is no ingame macro system so it will be very hard to do it.

I belong to a webite of like minded individuals all waiting to see if this is gonna change, were eager to play.

I found out the hard way by assuming I could do this in swtor since ive never had this problem in any other mmorpg.

Vanilla EQ did not allow it. It never dawned on them that people might like to run multiple characters on the same account... They did eventually add it though and I am sure SWTOR will too.

Vanilla EQ did not allow it. It never dawned on them that people might like to run multiple characters on the same account... They did eventually add it though and I am sure SWTOR will too.

Everquest (there is no such thing as a Vanilla EQ, is that like a Chocolate EQ?), wouldn't even let you alt-tab to other windows for years lol. And ya.. eventually they fixed that.

• 2 months later...
Yes it works on one computer. Log into one character, then start up the launcher for the other characters, one at a time. I am currently multi boxing, however, you will need to develop your own method to get follow to work as I have done. Long live mulit- boxers!

Edit: the problem is their launcher, not the actual game.

Would you care to give some hints? I have tried a number of different ways to do this...

Thanks,

Till

Everquest (there is no such thing as a Vanilla EQ, is that like a Chocolate EQ?), wouldn't even let you alt-tab to other windows for years lol. And ya.. eventually they fixed that.

in MMO terms, Vanilla means "regular", or the "original", or "before the expansions"

• 10 months later...

I use ISBoxer to multibox 2 accounts if you want to know how to do it on one computer. The program is just the go between your commands and your characters, it allows you to send the same commands to multiple characters and control those characters or send commands for keybinds that send same or different commands to multiple characters. Give it a try if you want to use multiple accounts.

I love it, makes the game even more fun IMO.

I would not hold my breath for anything like this any time soon if ever, there are way to many bigger issues that effect a larger part of the playerbase, don't get me wrong I am not against dual boxing, if that's your thing, I just dont see it happening here.

There is some good ideas in this tread on how you can dual box as things are now.. I have seen a couple of toons in game I am pretty sure they were dual boxing.

I don't see much advantage to be gained bia duo boxing, it just makes life easier for gold farmers and makes it easier to be anti-social. people have eneugh trouble getting groups for heroic planet quests as it is

Have to agree with this. No real advantage in this game for multiclienting (running more than one instance of a client per PC) or multiboxing (running the client on more than one PC by the same player).

Unless the other box is being played by your wife. :D

Ive been boxing for decades, literally, and have yet to find a game that it was impossible to run 2 instances of on the same computer. Some require some work. LOTRO took some rewriting of files to do it and I even posted a guide on how to get it done, right on the forums, and it was totally ok with Turbine. I have never been banned or even questioned about boxing in any game. I am currently boxing LOTRO, Tera Online, WoW and yes, SWTOR.

M

Edit: I wanted to add this just to protect my reputation. I pride myself on being probably one of the only 4 people on the planet who boxes without the aid of any 3rd party apps. I completely operate each char manually. I have strict rules that i apply to the char being boxed that include that it must contribute substantially or it gets parked far enough away to not leech rep/xp etc. The only exception to this is if I run myself through a dungeon. If the boxed char cant contribute due to the strength of the mob I will still do it, but that char has to have either run the dungeon in a regular group in the past, or it has to do it real soon in the future. The ONLY macros I use (in games that allow macros) is /follow and any macro I would normally use if I wasnt boxing. My rules are strict and I stick to them.

Most boxers use a program that operates the other char and I am not only dead set against this, I consider it botting.

M

Edited by hippiechick

Have to agree with this. No real advantage in this game for multiclienting (running more than one instance of a client per PC) or multiboxing (running the client on more than one PC by the same player).

Unless the other box is being played by your wife. :D

Not sure why other people do it but I do it for the challenge. I absolutely adore going up against a group mob with myself and operating two or more chars (manually) to get it down. I practice constantly, on different class duos, to perfect my technique. So, for me, it is for the challenge.

M

• 2 years later...
Ive been boxing for decades, literally, and have yet to find a game that it was impossible to run 2 instances of on the same computer. Some require some work. LOTRO took some rewriting of files to do it and I even posted a guide on how to get it done, right on the forums, and it was totally ok with Turbine. I have never been banned or even questioned about boxing in any game. I am currently boxing LOTRO, Tera Online, WoW and yes, SWTOR.

M

Edit: I wanted to add this just to protect my reputation. I pride myself on being probably one of the only 4 people on the planet who boxes without the aid of any 3rd party apps. I completely operate each char manually. I have strict rules that i apply to the char being boxed that include that it must contribute substantially or it gets parked far enough away to not leech rep/xp etc. The only exception to this is if I run myself through a dungeon. If the boxed char cant contribute due to the strength of the mob I will still do it, but that char has to have either run the dungeon in a regular group in the past, or it has to do it real soon in the future. The ONLY macros I use (in games that allow macros) is /follow and any macro I would normally use if I wasnt boxing. My rules are strict and I stick to them.

Most boxers use a program that operates the other char and I am not only dead set against this, I consider it botting.

M

So, how do you do what you do? Please tell me you don't use ISBoxer. I want a way free of invasive programs. All I want to do is run 2 SWTOR exe's at once and manually run both accounts myself. No follow macros, no nothing, Straight up clean. Any way to do this?

So, how do you do what you do? Please tell me you don't use ISBoxer. I want a way free of invasive programs. All I want to do is run 2 SWTOR exe's at once and manually run both accounts myself. No follow macros, no nothing, Straight up clean. Any way to do this?

You can find out what makes ISBoxer work and emulate the changes.