Which is better? Server Queues+Lag or Unknown Wait?

-Arcane-

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Title says it all, which would you prefer, a big gosh darn queue and some issues with the servers at launch?

or

This random wait with no info, no clue and no idea when you will get access?

Personally i'd rather be stuck in a queue, at least then I can see how long I have to wait.

none of these are acceptable to be honest.

-waiting time for a paying customer is unacceptable.

-lag which jeopardizes someones playing experience is unacceptable.

what is even more unacceptable is getting disconnected and when logged back in for another queue making your party friends wait , which is absurd.

Title says it all, which would you prefer, a big gosh darn queue and some issues with the servers at launch?

or

Personally i'd rather be stuck in a queue, at least then I can see how long I have to wait.

There is nothing random and without info.

The game isn't release yet..

Early Access is a perk, a unexpected surprise. Go on with your life.

Now the early access is by date... as much as their servers can deal with... 2 waves done... more to go.

none of these are acceptable to be honest.

-waiting time for a paying customer is unacceptable.

-lag which jeopardizes someones playing experience is unacceptable.

what is even more unacceptable is getting disconnected and when logged back in for another queue making your party friends wait , which is absurd.

Early access is free, so we are not paying customers until the 20th

Option 2, and I'm not in yet.

I'll take a couple days of waiting with uncertainty (as much as I hate it) over being in now, with 4000ms ping, server crashes, login server crashes, massive competition in starting areas for quest mobs/items, the list goes on...

Nothing is worse that overwhelmed servers imho.

This. Everyone needs to sit back, wait, and RELAX.

or

Option number 1 please. This crap that BW/EA are doing now is just plain stupid. The only thing that could make it even funnier is that when the 20th does come along and they still have major server issues even after all this early access ********.

I prefer, everyone who pre-ordered the game should get in at the same time...

That's simply not possible. If everyone got in at the same time, the servers would crash and no one would be able to play.

I know it's hard to wait, but this shouldn't be a difficult issue to grasp. Letting ~1mil players log on simultaneously is a recipe for absolute disaster.

That's simply not possible. If everyone got in at the same time, the servers would crash and no one would be able to play.

I know it's hard to wait, but this shouldn't be a difficult issue to grasp. Letting ~1mil players log on simultaneously is a recipe for absolute disaster.

This is a fallacy. Rift did it.

I would rather have server queues and lag. The waiting game is really asinine. They have already tested less servers with 2million players. They have 100+ servers, why not just open the game to everyone this afternoon after the CE crowd gets there jollies off of being first.

Thats funny when i pre ordered i was told that ill get 5 days early acess now i will get only 2 day earlier bcuz i redeemed at 26/11 ?? so wheres my 5 days early access that convinced me to preorder for more money ??

Your 5 days wouldn't even start until the 15th. Also, technically it was "up to 5 days"...not 5 days. Is that misleading? Definitely.

Was it blatantly false advertising? Not really.

I do think that they moved up early access by 2 days though to get late pre-orders in as soon as possible (so, trying to live up to that 5 days advertising). They will push all of the July/Aug preorders through on the 13th and 14th, and then catch up with later pre-orders by the 15th.

Early access is free, so we are not paying customers until the 20th

i payed 152,39 in euro's for the game.

the moment i purchased their product makes me a paying customer.

also we were discussing an IF....

anyways thanks for taking your time to find a clue...

This is a fallacy. Rift did it.

I played the head start in Rift and it was very smooth, I agree. But, I don't think you or I have all of the information. They may not be entirely comparable situations.

We know that there are almost ~1mil pre-orders for SWTOR. There weren't that many for RIFT by any means. Server stability does rely on spreading people out in various zones.

SWTOR devs know this because they even instance people within zones, which helps with stability.

Crashing a server on launch day is just about the worst thing a company could do...

Pretty clear that the whole idea about waves is getting people out of the starter zone to avoid crashes.

That's assuming that all people that pre ordered log in at the same time.

All with all I am not convinced the wave system is that good.

They stress tested it they had the open beta so well they could push it up a bit.

Of course that's just what I think as a well paying costumer.

Nice thing about the gaming industry is that you can get away with such things.

People in general accept that the treatment isn't about respect for the costumer.

is this actually true? Or did you just guess?

I have players in my guild that are in and playing who had later dates.

That guys guess of the month = day into EGA is crazy. The numbers never made sense, when you had so many in the beta with less servers. Now that they have 100+ servers, they could easily accomodate everyone TODAY; if they chose to do a more risk oriented release.

I have always said they gave everyone 2 extra days to make sure that everyone got 5 full days of EGA.

Between the feedback being posted that the servers are getting full just from 2 waves already and Devyboy says July naturally has a higher spike.

Anyone who order after July should expect no chance of getting in on the 13th.

Its something like 1 - 2 million pre-orders

13 - 20th - 7 Days

24 hours in a day

7X24 = 168 Hours

Assume a wave every 2 hours

168 / 2 - 84 Waves

1,000,000 / 84 = 11,905 per wave

Assume a wave ever 1 hour

168 / 1 - 168 Waves

1,000,000 / 168 = 5952 per wave

This dosent count if BW will cut-off waves after a certain point

This dosent count if BW will have technical issues

Posted this elsewhere but here we go:

July had 120,000 Pre-Orders

120,000 / 11,905 = 10 Waves = 20 Hours

120,000 / 5,952 = 20 Waves = 20 Hours

Result:

It is extremely likely anyone who ordered after July will get in until tommorrow

Assume 1,000,000 Pre-Orders

Assume 150,000 Pre-Orders get in a day

1,000,000 / 150,000 = 7 Days for everyone to get in

This is the closest thing your going to get to a benchmark in guessing when you are getting in as BW dont have the backbone to post the numbers themselves.

I played the head start in Rift and it was very smooth, I agree. But, I don't think you or I have all of the information. They may not be entirely comparable situations.

We know that there are almost ~1mil pre-orders for SWTOR. There weren't that many for RIFT by any means. Server stability does rely on spreading people out in various zones.

SWTOR devs know this because they even instance people within zones, which helps with stability.

Crashing a server on launch day is just about the worst thing a company could do...

Exactly, they instanced the zones which more or less eliminated the problem in the beta stress test, which still leaves one wondering why they aren't inviting a reasonable number of people per wave.