Why cant we be Wookies?

ElevenSword

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did an interview the other day (sorry too lazy to link it), but the short answer is: immersion. They wanted humanoid species so you would "connect" easier. Also, facial animations. Trying to do a slew of animations for every different species would be ridiculous. Who knows, they might release some new species in the future but it would take a lot of work to basically remake all the voice acting for a new species. Also, they pretty much nixed Wookies completely. I believe the wording was: "Part of what makes Wookies great is their mystery. Being able to play a Wookie would take that away."

They did an interview the other day (sorry too lazy to link it), but the short answer is: immersion. They wanted humanoid species so you would "connect" easier. Also, facial animations. Trying to do a slew of animations for every different species would be ridiculous. Who knows, they might release some new species in the future but it would take a lot of work to basically remake all the voice acting for a new species. Also, they pretty much nixed Wookies completely. I believe the wording was: "Part of what makes Wookies great is their mystery. Being able to play a Wookie would take that away."

My son played a Wookiee for 5 years in SWG and we were hoping to recreate him in SWTOR, but I can see why this isn't feasable with the Voice Acting within game.

Sad really. Was the only one of our 6 SWG toons that we weren't able to recreate here. :(

It's the darksides fault they are a bunch of Haters.

WOOOKIE HATERS!

and what about playing Droids, I tell you it's

DROID-DISCRIMINATIONSIM

The darkside is full of nothing but guy's who drink Hater-Aid and they have a phd.

player hater degrees!!

I say let go of your Hatin, and wookie-racism!!!

Peace.

I still think they could get around a character's inability to speak Basic with a little translator droid or something like that. Perhaps a necklace or bracelet? They could limit the number of voice actors they would need, since you could re-use the voice.

For immersion, maybe throw in a word or two of the "native" language from time to time, as if the droid couldn't keep up or refused to translate something.

My son played a Wookiee for 5 years in SWG and we were hoping to recreate him in SWTOR, but I can see why this isn't feasable with the Voice Acting within game.

Sad really. Was the only one of our 6 SWG toons that we weren't able to recreate here. :(

Actually, this is more than possible. It seems that no matter what species is speaking in what language, everyone can understand everyone. This means that though wookie-speak (wookinese?) is heard, your selections in conversation will be similar and translation text will be available so you know what you said. The NPCs are certain to understand you.

A bonus to having non-english speaking races is that voice acting can be done with the computer instead of a real live actor. Save huge money!

They'll bring them in for sure. Just stand by. They needed to hold out something for later.

Edit: My bet is that for the non-human types like Wookies they needed different equipment graphics since they don't wear the same armor and such. This is much more of a challenge than voice work.

Edited by Dakien

must speaka da engrish

Seriously. Can you imagine the voice actors for your characters? How much dialog can you Raawwwrrg to anyway? You, as a player, will end up reading far more text than you desire to in order to figure out what is going on.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.