The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Back in my day...

skrill

I love how when we ask for a few things that made old school games fun people tend to regress all the way back to text based games.

All i see people asking for are games that don't hand us everything on a silver platter. We already have games out like that. WoW is a great example, even this game to an extent. Everyone says they want something new from WoW, but at the same time want a game just like it. Same thing happened with Everquest and Asheron's call. Personally i think the market could use an overhaul at this point. Gamers would be happy i think with more variety of games to choose from.

In today's gaming every game feel like the one before it, no game is really all that unique anymore. We can't even have a sense of feeling unique in a game. Oh that "Rare" mount you have, well a few hundred other people have it to. Oh, guess it isn't so rare.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh gods I miss pre-tram UO. I remember hanging out with my guildies and taking on player paid bounties on people. (stealth fencing assassin with poisoning baby)

Nothing was more fun than having someone get pissed off that you killed them for no apparent reason only to find out it was revenge because they were an *** to somebody. I miss looting their corpses and taking their possessions for myself. (That was part of my hit fee)

If anybody from Lake Superior is around and remembers the Red Dragon City hit me up (Madcat/Abbigail here)

Actually people didn't "like it". Which is why it evolved to be..you know, FUN.

If I want to experience the joyless tedium and soul crushing failure potential the OP talks about, I'll do it for a living and make money, which is what normal people expect when having to do that kind of crap.

They don't spent all day suffering through that frustration, only to get home and do it for fun, The only people who enjoyed the mess that was early mmorpgs are neckbeards, who didn't having anything similar in real life, to feel important.

Now you have a few gamer PC elitists who think a game is only good, when it's flogging them with its mechanics.

I have life to kick my ***, I don't need my recreation to do it too.

i'd say plenty of people liked it. having 300,000 subscribers at one point was a success when you consider the game was the first of its kind and it had no marketing or well-known brand name like wow.

there was nothing gratifying about leveling in wow because it was too easy. there was no sense of peril while exploring the game's world. there were no consequeneces for dying. there was no satisfaction in beating other guilds to the punch when it came to raid content.

it's funny hearing "hardcore" wow players wanting other mmos to be like wow while scoffing at a game like everquest.

EQ kids... I remember further back than that -I remember when I had to actually use my imagination with a few other people; its called Dungeons and Dragons and that still most hardcore RPG to ever grace humankind.

No corpse runs you were DEAD

You had to agree and meet somwwhere, no playing witha guild from different parts of the country.

Wanted to craft a magical item? better get your boots on and explore and risk your life just for troll shavings.

Edited by Lazzerswords

For a long time, MMORPGs were supposed to be virtual worlds. That element has declined (except in a few games like EVE Online).

In most MMOs nowadays, the "virtual world" element is almost vestigial.

The reason why SWTOR is sort of exciting for some of us is that although it doesn't create the sense of a virtual world through gameplay (like the classics did), it does create something of a sense of a virtual world via storyline. The storyline makes the world come alive.

It's a pity though, because in the older MMOS, the sense of a virtual world came about more because of the actions of other players, so players felt that they were co-creating the virtual world more. Although SWTOR does create a sense of a virtual world, it's much more illusory, in that it's dev-created, rather than player-created.

Still, it's nice while it lasts!

In a way, perhaps it points to the future, in that having BOTH engaging storyline quests with voice-acting, AND some of the older gameplay elements of a virtual world, might be ideal. To explain: if the "themepark" element were restricted to engaging, voice-acted quests in a virtual world that was OTHERWISE largely created by player activity, that would be magical.

Unfortunately, the amount of investment and resources necessary to do that, might be prohibitive at this stage. It's obviously hard enough for storyline CRPG experts like BioWare to keep up a themepark virtual world sense, never mind having that plus a true sandbox as context.

Edited by gurugeorge

Back in my day we didn't have all of these fancy graphics and animations! We'd dialup with our 56k modems(if we were lucky that is!) and telnet to our MUD of choice. For us 'shiny' was having clients that displayed multiple colors for text! Advanced combat was determined by having more options than /attack, /throw, or /cast!

56k? try 14.4 and it was Legend of the Red Dragon for me.

Edited by yoshua

Standing at Kaladim Front Gate:

Dwarf #1: Hey, lets go to Qeynos this Saturday, I hear there are some good quests over there.

Dwarf #2: ok! we better get up early though, if we want to play at all Saturday, it takes all day to run there!

back in my day the best you got was

A. You were eaten by a Grue!

B. you fell into a bottomless pit!!! (but at least the wumpus didn't find you!)

Kids and their need for graphics :rolleyes:

Zork predates me but I still was told to play it by a few people.

eat self

Auto-cannibalism is not the answer.

Back in my day...

We played Pong. On a Pong.

In my case, it was a Pong-4. It could play 4 different versions of Pong. Plus it had a lovely wood grain finish.

The fact that it was different doesn't mean we should go back there. Nor to EQ1. Nostalgia makes that time feel idyllic. Things weren't nearly as fun as we remember them.

Look Venture and my Atari were my friend along with the BBS boards and bad bad compuserve modem service... 8k owned.

NOT TO MENTION that we typed things...

typing roll/ only to see "Isk hits you for 8 points of damage".... LOL in a text form MMO.. haha Id call it a SMO...

EQ was cool though... UO started it for me, then it was a streak...

Back in my day when you aggro'd a mob, it didn't stop chasing you. There was a thing called a train, and it was courteous to let local know where that train was headed. IF you weren't paying attention, sometimes you unexpectedly got ***** by someone elses train.

Now if you really want to go back to my day....

I hear an alarm clock ringing somewhere. Everything is not exactly dark but its too fuzzy to see...

Command me ->

I hated games back then.

I welcome todays models. Though they are to the OPPOSITE extreme (which is a bit too far really) it is closer to what I like than I did back then.

I started playing MMO's in 1996. I dropped out of all of them after a few months.

It wasn't until coming "Back" to DAoC Catacombs in 2004ish? That I ever hit level 50 with a character...

Those old grindy hard core games... were not games.... they were WORK.

I work for a living... I like to "play" video games.

I say most people who like to "Work" video games, never have really "Worked" real jobs in their life.

I hated games back then.

I welcome todays models. Though they are to the OPPOSITE extreme (which is a bit too far really) it is closer to what I like than I did back then.

I started playing MMO's in 1996. I dropped out of all of them after a few months.

It wasn't until coming "Back" to DAoC Catacombs in 2004ish? That I ever hit level 50 with a character...

Those old grindy hard core games... were not games.... they were WORK.

I work for a living... I like to "play" video games.

I say most people who like to "Work" video games, never have really "Worked" real jobs in their life.

Interesting since I have worked my whole time playing MMOs and even got a degree/w job while being able to stay top of my favorite MMOs. Some of us want a challenge when gaming not wasted time in easy mode.

Back in my day, having High Resolution textures meant that your DM got an A in art.

Back in my day, death was permanant (ever seen a DM rip your character sheet to shreds?).

Back in my day, we had to roll our own dice.