Key Bindings: Anyone have any tips?

hobbit

Hey there,

I was wondering if anyone had any good tips, tricks, or guides for key bindings. I'm a long time MMO player but I generally kept things simple and clicked on each skill on the bar. I'm finding this to be very ineffective with the amount of skills, cool downs and stacks that I have to manage.

I usually play with 1 hand on the keyboard and 1 hand on the mouse, should I be ditching the mouse during combat and use the arrow keys? I'm just not exactly sure how I should even key bind things either, I have small hands so it can be difficult.

I welcome any advice.

It will be hard for you at first as you've always clicked but yoou should bind everything down, every single ability, medpacks etc..

Most competitive players will use the mouse to move around by holding right click and binding auto-run to an easy to reach button on the mouse.

The other hand is placed on ASWD with the following setup:

W = forward

S = backward

A = strafe left

D = strafe right

1-2-3-4 as main damaging abilities

Q-E-R-F-C-X-Z-V as secondary abilities

Alt + 1-2-3-4 and Alt + QERFCXZV are cooldowns or things you don't need to spam

CTRL + QERFCXZV for longer cooldowns, buffs, medpacks.

Try to avoid binding stuff to the F keys (F1-F2-F3 etc..) and keys that are located farther right on the keyboard because you have to lift up your hand to go reach them and you lose milliseconds by doing so plus you risk putting your hand back on the wrong keys afterward.

At first it's pretty hard and you'll forget that you bound this or that but keep persevering and after a while your brain will have assimilated it and you'll be much faster and agile than clicking on your abilities.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Hey there,

I was wondering if anyone had any good tips, tricks, or guides for key bindings. I'm a long time MMO player but I generally kept things simple and clicked on each skill on the bar. I'm finding this to be very ineffective with the amount of skills, cool downs and stacks that I have to manage.

I usually play with 1 hand on the keyboard and 1 hand on the mouse, should I be ditching the mouse during combat and use the arrow keys? I'm just not exactly sure how I should even key bind things either, I have small hands so it can be difficult.

I welcome any advice.

I wouldn't play this game without a Razr gaming mouse. Those 12 buttons my thumb can get to without needing to leave the mouse make playing the game possible for me. I literally don't know how I would play otherwise.

Alkolyk's advice is a good one except I would change your movement keys from WASD to ESDF (you have more keys to access to specifically the T key)

If your mouse has extra buttons use them, lately I've been experimenting with shift+mouse wheel up, down and third button click; it's doable.

Alkolyk's advice is a good one except I would change your movement keys from WASD to ESDF (you have more keys to access to specifically the T key)

If your mouse has extra buttons use them, lately I've been experimenting with shift+mouse wheel up, down and third button click; it's doable.

Indeed, ESDF is best. Also, shift+mouse wheel is super nice :p.

OP, click link in my sig and goto key binding section. It has some basic info about it as well as my full keybind list for Watchman to get you started with a layout that at least works for me :p.

Also, I don't use the NAGA, keyboard has more than enough buttons to go around.

I tried using esdf and it just feels really akward for me, particularly pressing my number keys feelings weird with my hand on esdf. Maybe its because i play on a laptop keyboard, dunno.

Def takes a bit to get used to affter WASD for so long.

I noticed no one mentioned it yet - one of the most useful keys is the tilde key next to 1. I have that bound to Force Kick and it's really easy for me to just reach a finger up and mash then when I need to interrupt since I'm usually sitting on W-A-D with my left hand.

I play with my left on the key board and my right on the mouse (I'm new to MMO too). I keep my most used skills on the numbers right above my left hand and I use the mouse to handle anything on the right side of the bar as well as skills I don't use frequently like Force Camouflage, Saber Ward, medpacs, etc. Some other situational skills like Opprtune Strike, Force Stasis, etc., I have bound right around my left hand on R, F, Q and T.

I've found that to be effective for me. I've looked into getting a multi-button mouse for MMO, but I don't want to shell out the cash for it.

This is mine, not for everyone but works for me....

W - Forward

A - Left

D - Right

S - Transendence

Q - ventrillo or skype

E - Statis

R - Strike

T - Cauterize

F - Slash

G - Kick

1 - Cleave

2 - sweep

3 - Merc Slash

4 - Zealous

5 - leg slash

6 - awe

Ctrl + 3 - guarded by force

Ctrl + 4 - force camo

Ctrl + 5 - saber throw

Ctrl + E - pacify

Ctrl + R - Leap

Ctrl + T - blade storm

Ctrl + F - saber ward

Ctrl + G - Rebuke

mouse button 3 - overload saber

Ctrl + MB3 - Zen

mouse button 4 - dispatch

Ctrl + MB4 - Inspiration

Shift + E - heal out of combat

Shift + F - mount

Shift + G - medpack

Shift + R - Dps consumable

Shift + 4 - Relic

Shift + 3 - Valourous Call

You will notice defensive stuff is mainly Ctrl + ......

Instead of the bad back walking button i have my lets get out of here button....

But anyway goodluck

Edited by Vegathegreat

How do you guys turn with your mouse? Right now I just hold down the right mouse and turn. Is that how it is suppose to be done?

Yup. Turn by holding right mouse, im typically holding right mouse entire time for most part.

To those mentioning not binding backpedal. Its very rare that you should use it but it comes in handy for minor movement tweaks in some random scenarios, and there are plenty of keys even without it :p.

Also, I recommend binding your Relics to Shift+MWU and Shift+MWD. That way whenever you want to activate you just hold shift and scroll up and down real fast and it doesn't matter which one you used last as it will hit whichever is off CD.

This was a tip from my brother; rebind Strike (or another key ability) to Mouse wheel down, and rebind Zoom-Out somewhere else. Very handy to not take up a button on your top row numbers for something you're going to be doing a lot of.

Your brother is right, but the ability he chose is completely wrong. For mouse wheel you always wish to use a CD. Introducing a modifier is usually always meant for focus abilities (WoW Focus).

This game does have a bad tendency to move the camera angle closer to you when dropping off a ledge.

• 5 months later...

Hi guys, I did this and some how in the process of binding thing I lost the right click to go. I can still look but it doesnt move when I right mouse click. How do I fix this ? I defaulted the movement page and still not fixed.

Thanks for the help, and for the thread very handy. Just FYI learning all this new stuff is a PAIN.

Movement: I hold down both mouse clicks to run and release to stop....and have a keybound ® for "autorun".

Also, the mouse scroll key can hold 3 binds.

For example:

Click scroll wheel: CC break

scroll wheel up: interrupt

scroll wheel down: spamable autoattack

Edited by bayoumagic

There's auto attack ? Where can I find this ? I've been looking for one.

If you could explain how to set up this spammible auto attack it would be very appreciated.

Edited by deets

Hey deets,

A keybind setup I love and have been using a while now is one as explained by Taugrim. He has written a very effective and well written guide about it at http://taugrim.com/2011/04/07/guide-to-strafing-movement-and-keybindings/.

In the video of the guide he demonstrates very well why he has chosen to have his keybind the way he does and what you can do with it. He shows how you can keep mobility to the max while still using all of your abilities. The guide is especially nice because it's written from the situation where you do not have a super-deluxe mouse like a Razer Naga with extra buttons on it.

Hope it helps. :)

p.s. Based on this guide I decided to try the game without a back-peddle button and I must say in the half year or so that I've been using it, I haven't missed my back-peddle even once. I came to realize it's quite an inefficient way of getting about and avoiding enemies.

And no, there is no actual auto attack. The ability being referred to is the most basic attack all classes get in the beginning which you can always use. It fulfills a similar purpose as an auto-attack without being actually automatic.

Edited by Y-Yorle

There's auto attack ? Where can I find this ? I've been looking for one.

If you could explain how to set up this spammible auto attack it would be very appreciated.

ok, poor choice of words on my part, sorry to confuse you. What i mean by spammable autoattack is "Strike". It's not really an "autoattack" in the true sense b/c you still have to "press" the skill...but every class has a skill that: does not consume a resource, has no cool down and does damage....a basic attack skill.

When you say back pedal you, just mean walking backwards right ?

ps I've been using the tuagrims (not sure I spelled that right) set up and I like it. I'm still getting used to it, but I find it comfortable and faster to use. I didn't set it up exactly like he had in that video. But again I like it and am sticking with it. Thanks again for all the help guy.

Edited by deets