Re-spec Costs a little to much?

TonyDonovan

I play an imperial agent operative and i enjoy healing in a pvp setting and dps for leveling for obvious reasons, i understand it is very common for a game to incorporate a system in which re-spec will cost more each time, but i do feel like it gets to be a little excessive to the point where i feel severely punished if i want to play my class in more than one linear way (aka spec) throughout the entire game. it did reset after about 75,000 credits back down to 850 but is quickly going up again. Given i probably re-spec more than most i feel as if it should be capped at 50k tops maybe even 35k something along those lines because it tends to put a large dent into my available credits.

Please Discuss does anyone else feel this way or do you think this is acceptable? Everyone has a different opinion i would like to hear yours!

When re-spec concepts first came out, they weren't meant to be something you do often. Even once a week. They were meant to be done, maybe, once a month. Because you slipped a few points or something.

They're to correct mistakes, and not to change your spec because today you want to do <x> but tomorrow you want to do <y>.

ok... so they want me to be restricted to one thing for all eternity? i do not necessarily think what your saying is true but you may be right, i feel as if you should be able to play your character how you want when you want to make the game more interesting, exciting, and new from day to day i do agree with paying i just don't agree with how much im paying.

ok... so they want me to be restricted to one thing for all eternity? i do not necessarily think what your saying is true but you may be right, i feel as if you should be able to play your character how you want when you want to make the game more interesting, exciting, and new from day to day i do agree with paying i just don't agree with how much im paying.

Yes. ToR follows the "traditional" method of RPGs. You pick a spec and are stuck with it. It's not like WoW, which promotes you changing your spec on the drop of a hat. They want you to make decisions and live with them.

did you read this in any official post or news? just wondering to see if that's an official statement or simply how you think it should be, like i said well all have differences in opinions so lets hear them!

Thank you for your input im open for discussion

Edited by TonyDonovan

did you read this in any official post or news? just wondering to see if that's an official statement or simply how you think it should be, like i said well all have differences in opinions so lets hear them!

Thank you for your input im open for discussion

Well they didn't say that officially anywhere, I think, but that's the intent. Despite popular opinion, a respec option in a game isn't meant to be something you use every other day. Really meant to be something you use only to fix serious errors in your skill decisions.

I mean, respecs in themselves are a very new concept. You used to be stuck with whatever you picked forever.

Skill reset costs are reset every 7 days (I believe it is). They just don't want you doing exactly what you are doing...which is respec'ing multiple times to cater for every situation. They give you a variety of companions to help you quest no matter what your spec is

If it does reset every 7 days then i am happy about that and did not know so thank you for the information that is fair. I only respec healing to pvp when i plan on queing for pvp all day long and respec dps for pve when i plan on lvling all day long i do see what your saying i shouldnt just be doing everything everyday but i also do not see the harm in playing the game how you want considering it hurts nobody and helps everyone. i do not think i t should be free and if it really does reset every 7 days then i have no arguement at all and i agree with that.

Thank you for shedding some light on the situation! any other opinions?

as far as the companions go if i stay heal spec and try to lvl healing a companion its going to take 10 times longer to level we all know this

Edited by TonyDonovan

If it does reset every 7 days then i am happy about that and did not know so thank you for the information that is fair. I only respec healing to pvp when i plan on queing for pvp all day long and respec dps for pve when i plan on lvling all day long i do see what your saying i shouldnt just be doing everything everyday but i also do not see the harm in playing the game how you want considering it hurts nobody and helps everyone. i do not think i t should be free and if it really does reset every 7 days then i have no arguement at all and i agree with that.

Thank you for shedding some light on the situation! any other opinions?

as far as the companions go if i stay heal spec and try to lvl healing a companion its going to take 10 times longer to level we all know this

While that's your view, it's just a game design thing. You might think there's no harm in being able to freely change specs, but for a designer it is. The idea of a skill tree is to force a player to pick and specialize. By allowing them to freely change it, you may as well throw out the skill tree or just give them enough points to do everything.

And incorrect. The game is built that a tank or healing spec, works just as well as a DPS. Heck, some of the healing specs probably PvE and PvP better then DPS. You have a companion - and thus a permanent party member - at all times. The game is built expecting you to use him, her, or it at all times.

BioWare only included respec in Dragon Age in a DLC (EDIT: Expansion, actually) and after a bunch of whining from min-maxers who couldn't stand the fact that they had to actually live with the choices they originally made.

It didn't surprise me at all that the respec in SWTOR is prohibitive. BioWare makes real RPGs where you are meant to be fulfilling the (virtual) life of a character. The idea that a commando would wake up one morning, hear that his squad was going somewhere dangerous that day and decide to re-educate himself as a surgeon is beyond silly. At that point, you're no longer controlling a character, you're performing the actions of a deity, reshaping the world to your whim without any care about consistency or consequences.

And in case it wasn't obvious: I'm an RPG fan, so I'm not a fan of respec. It's a game. Live with your choices. Want to play two different ways? Play two different characters.

Edited by Malastare

When re-spec concepts first came out, they weren't meant to be something you do often. Even once a week. They were meant to be done, maybe, once a month. Because you slipped a few points or something.

They're to correct mistakes, and not to change your spec because today you want to do <x> but tomorrow you want to do <y>.

Bingo.

if you removed talent tree and made everything available everything would be hardcore op, i guess im just stupid but a commando cannot wake in the morning and re-learn all his skills because that is real life this is a game not reality if they want you to make your decisions and stick with them do not offer the ability to re-spec at all if your all saying its supposed to be a real mmo were your supposed to stick to your decisions then it shouldnt be in the game at all? Edited by TonyDonovan

if you removed talent tree and made everything available everything would be hardcore op, i guess im just stupid but a commando cannot wake in the morning and re-learn all his skills because that is real life this is a game not reality if they want you to make your decisions and stick with them do not offer the ability to re-spec at all if your all saying its supposed to be a real mmo where your supposed to stick to your decisions then it shouldnt be in the game at all?

They do want you to make decisions and stick with them, but in today's gaming society, this isn't something that sells well. Nowadays games usually let you respec, but it quickly becomes very "expensive" to balance out. Unless you're WoW.

As an example of an 'old' RPG that had respecs, Etrian Odyssey let you. Except you'd lose TEN levels to reset your skills, so you'd be lacking 10 skill points. The later games reduced this down to five levels.

So games let you change your choices, but it's only meant to be done very rarely.

They do want you to make decisions and stick with them, but in today's gaming society, this isn't something that sells well. Nowadays games usually let you respec, but it quickly becomes very "expensive" to balance out. Unless you're WoW.

As an example of an 'old' RPG that had respecs, Etrian Odyssey let you. Except you'd lose TEN levels to reset your skills, so you'd be lacking 10 skill points. The later games reduced this down to five levels.

So games let you change your choices, but it's only meant to be done very rarely.

It is an outdated concept and it will be corrected once dual specs are implemented. Most people don't want to play games to be punished for making a decision. No other decisions in this game matter, why should your spec be the one that has to stick.

It is an outdated concept and it will be corrected once dual specs are implemented. Most people don't want to play games to be punished for making a decision. No other decisions in this game matter, why should your spec be the one that has to stick.

Because your decisions do matter. Just not ones in flashpoints really, aside from DS/LS points.

You might call it "outdated", but to some it's pretty much a standard of RPGs. Next thing you'll say is calling EXP "outdated".

Skill reset costs are reset every 7 days (I believe it is). They just don't want you doing exactly what you are doing...which is respec'ing multiple times to cater for every situation. They give you a variety of companions to help you quest no matter what your spec is

hey, at least you get a free respecc after 7 days instead of...never and only with patches like WoW :D

Because your decisions do matter. Just not ones in flashpoints really, aside from DS/LS points.

You might call it "outdated", but to some it's pretty much a standard of RPGs. Next thing you'll say is calling EXP "outdated".

You can escape out of any conversation to redo it if you don't like how it turned out. Your decisions don't matter. If you don't like your spec or if you just want to play your class a different way there is no reason to punish someone for it.

When re-spec's first came out in 1998.....................

Hey Joseph............this is 2012 now.

We all want dual-speccing. Why control how other people play?

You some type of dictator? Are you a member of the Saudi Royal Family?

Am I talking to Kim Jong Il? I thought he died.

Oh yeah, you're just some troll who likes games to be anti-fun.

i guess im the only one that feels this way aparently re-speccing is there so you can fix a point mistake and that's it apart from that its useless is all i'm hearing, i for one do not enjoy being stuck in the same role my entire life in a video game i am a fan of RPG's and this is an MMORPG a game that is constantly changing and evolving, not skyrim in which its obvious what you pick your stuck with if they offer the ability to respec at all in a way such as they do i do not feel like they want to you stay in your spec forever it does not seem that way. it would be nice to get a devs input on this lol i want to know what they're thinking

thank you though guys im not trying to argue just a good discussion

You can escape out of any conversation to redo it if you don't like how it turned out. Your decisions don't matter. If you don't like your spec or if you just want to play your class a different way there is no reason to punish someone for it.

That's why you're even allowed to respec. There's a difference between not liking your spec, or playing it differently and changing your spec every five minutes because you can't pick something and stick with it.

After 7 days of no respec it does reset to free. Cost does start building if you do it more than once in a 7 day time frame. I know this because I've watched my hubby respec 4 times in a day then wait the 7 day timeframe and go back to free. Respeccing is meant to help you fix the oops mistakes, hence the after 7 days it's free again concept, not the WoW equivalent that lets you do it on a whim because you want to do multiple things at once. You choose what tree you want to play and be in and stay there. They expect you to try out the spec you're in for a little while instead of going back and changing it around again.

It's not standard anymore too anyone who has been playing modern games. Rift sqaushed the idea of expensive respecs and I'm glad.

There is no reason to punish the players like the OP. If you want to commit to your spec then fine do it but don't tell others how to play.

Meta game changes and players should be encouraged to experiment with spec.

That's why you're even allowed to respec. There's a difference between not liking your spec, or playing it differently and changing your spec every five minutes because you can't pick something and stick with it.

Let me guess your solution to wanting to raid and pvp effectively on a class you like... level another character? Am I right?

After 7 days of no respec it does reset to free. Cost does start building if you do it more than once in a 7 day time frame. I know this because I've watched my hubby respec 4 times in a day then wait the 7 day timeframe and go back to free. Respeccing is meant to help you fix the oops mistakes, hence the after 7 days it's free again concept, not the WoW equivalent that lets you do it on a whim because you want to do multiple things at once. You choose what tree you want to play and be in and stay there. They expect you to try out the spec you're in for a little while instead of going back and changing it around again.

Same people to claim they love freedom then turn around and attack abortion rights.

Same people who claim to love freedom then send our troops to foreign lands to squash freedom.

Same people who claim to love the constitution but want religion in public schools.

It's always the same people. If you told them you wanted the freedom to shave your face and they thought it would alleviate their personal boredom they would argue about it.

Dual speccing so the op can enjoy his game. I'll roll the specs i roll and he can do the same.