The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware, your game runs too hot. My solution.

danmanx

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What tower are you using?

As you can have state of the art components inside, but without getting the heat out of the tower.

Many things its enough it got some holes here and there, but in my case that won't help..

I have had heating issues in many games, and a boiling hot tower..

I got my self an Tower with a large fan on top, and 2 at the front and 1 at the back.. it can be heard yes, but my computer have never been above 60 degrees Celsius, on GPU and CPU is way lower in temperature..

same here, i have 3 fans on the side, 2 on the back and one on top with perforations allover the case. God help me if theres a dust storm but it wont overheat =p

My 4870 idled at 89c peaked at 104c under 100% load before I cleaned it out. Lol. Nothing to do with star wars was just putting my 2c in regarding tempretures.. Any game could over heat your components, not SWTOR's fault imo.. It's about load that builds temp. Any similar load regardless of what it was (even if it's not a game) would heat the GPU up to the same temps.

I have a Intel core i7 950 3.07GHz cpu.

16Gb ram

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

Before patch 1.02 i ran SWTOR in high quality and 1920 x 1080 without any issues.

After the patch my gfx cpu gets to about 83 - 84 degrees celcius, and my computer does a hard reset (i suspect due to overheating).

im using driver version 8.17.12.8562 date 15-10-2011 (285.62) .

I checked yesterday there is no updated drivers.

Only thing diffrent between now and last week on my rig is patch 1.02.

So either my card broke, and its a coincidence, or the patch does "something nasty"

I now have to play in 1680 x 1050 and low quality, or my computer keeps resetting.

I can play BF3 and Skyrim without any problems at all.

Gentlemen, it appears were are the ignored and the forgotten.

The reason why GPUs are overheating is because of bad coding. All it takes is somebody checking to see what commands and instructions are being sent to the GPUs. I am not an expert, but it seems like Bioware doesn't have anybody willing or competent to even look into this severe, deadly problem.

Some guy I don't even know lost his computer last night. He is an associate of my friend's wife. "Yeah, I was playing TOR and my video card fried out."

Inexcusable.

You want candy. You take a bite. You burn your mouth due to excessive heat.

You buy a car. You put gas into it. Your car explodes. How is that YOUR fault?

You install SW:TOR on a gaming machine....you need to WATCH OUT and play Star Wars: Temperature Monitor Control.....BOOM.....fried computer due to excessive heat.

My machine doesn't even struggle to run this and it's hotter than Jessica Alba on a summer day.

SOLUTION:

LOWER YOUR FPS. LOWER YOUR FPS. LOWER YOUR FPS.

LOWER YOUR GRAPHICS CARD 3D SETTINGS TO WALMART QUALITY.

Use a program like Bandicam and limit your FPS to 30, hell 20 just to be safe. I certainly don't want to lose a GAMING MACHINE to one *********** game.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD *TRY* OR *ATTEMPT* TO SEE, THEN *FIX* THIS PROBLEM BIOWARE.

It's a sad day when a million voices suddenly cry out....then are silenced...........

I have a 5870 Vapor-X OCed to 905/1285. I rarely see 100% GPU load, 80% or so is normal, and with the fun manually turned up to 75% (just like I do for Crysis), temp never gets over 60. I tried leaving the fan at 30%, and only see temps get into the upper 70s. That's a little warmer than I like it, but still not hot enough to cause problems.

If your computer is overheating, I think you probably need to look at your cooling set up.

I'd also like to add, a game like this cannot force your computer to create more heat than it normally would at a given load. If this game forces your GPU to work at 100% capacity, and Crysis also forces your GPU to work at 100% capacity, they will both generate the EXACT same amount of heat.

The reason why GPUs are overheating is because of bad coding. All it takes is somebody checking to see what commands and instructions are being sent to the GPUs. I am not an expert, but it seems like Bioware doesn't have anybody willing or competent to even look into this severe, deadly problem.

Some guy I don't even know lost his computer last night. He is an associate of my friend's wife. "Yeah, I was playing TOR and my video card fried out."

Inexcusable.

You install SW:TOR on a gaming machine....you need to WATCH OUT and play Star Wars: Temperature Monitor Control.....BOOM.....fried computer due to excessive heat.

My machine doesn't even struggle to run this and it's hotter than Jessica Alba on a summer day.

SOLUTION:

Use a program like Bandicam and limit your FPS to 30, hell 20 just to be safe. I certainly don't want to lose a GAMING MACHINE to one *********** game.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD *TRY* OR *ATTEMPT* TO SEE, THEN *FIX* THIS PROBLEM BIOWARE.

It's a sad day when a million voices suddenly cry out....then are silenced...........

Trolololo

I just popped the side of my case open and blow a fan across it. It keeps both my machine AND myself cool.

Inexcusable.

SOLUTION:

That's funny, because my GPU is fine.

Must be the bad coding then.

I know it wasn't the intention but I do have to nominate this one for "amusing thread of the day."

No, it's not "bad coding".

As to why throttling the FPS makes a difference? The more work-out the GPU is allowed (i.e. the more it has to render), the hotter it will run. The hotter it runs, the more cooling you need. If you lower the FPS, the card WILL run cooler. That's partly why VSync works to resolve many overheating issues.

Unsupported or faulty drivers can also cause this--case in point were issues with a faulty nVidia driver distribution a couple years ago. The fan control wasn't working properly and at higher FPS, which the affected cards should easily have been able to handle, overheating was happening. Failure in those instances was solely due to the driver.

Software itself (i.e. code) cannot kill your video card--it cannot make a card do something that it isn't programmed to do--but it can trigger existing flaws/faults in the hardware. The card should shut down before it hits critical temperature. If it doesn't, and it fails, it is an issue with the card or its driver.

Is the answer to lower the rendering of the game for everyone? Or is the answer to understand how to monitor your card for temperature issues and adjust the game-settings accordingly?

Hero Engine was a bad choice. 2-3 hours then this game is taking 4+gigs of ram and I have to restart~

That's BS. It has nothing to do with that. You probably handled your ram without grounding out when you installed it and screwed up your ram. This happens all the time to noobs.

Games don't cause overheating. Your hardware & drivers do.

Not true. WoW caps your FPS to around 60fps, it wont draw more frames than the eye can realistically notice. My card is producing 110fps in SWTOR so the GPU is constantly running at capacity.

If there was an option to cap the frames then the GPU would spend longer periods not operating at it's peak level and produce less heat, draw less power. It is better for the longevity of your GPU, saves you on your power bill and better for the environment. More importantly, you shouldn't notice anything different.

Edited by traft

Not true. WoW caps your FPS to around 60fps, it wont draw more frames than the eye can realistically notice. My card is producing 110fps in SWTOR so the GPU is constantly running at capacity.

If there was an option to cap the frames then the GPU would spend longer periods not operating at it's peak level and produce less heat, draw less power. It is better for the longevity of your GPU, saves you on your power bill and better for the environment. More importantly, you shouldn't notice anything different.

you can use an outside program to cap the FPS to whatever you like ... i had the same problem until i picked Dxtory.exe

http://dxtory.com/v2-home-en.html if you're interested it's a software capture screen but you can simply use the fps capping feature.

There is an option to cap the FPS, it's called Vsync, in your graphics preferences.

Vsync will lock your FPS.

Many people have stated, they have no issues at all playing. No overheating, and get well over 100 FPS.

Edited by Kourage

if your card seem to run hot there is 2 things this forum has been saying over and over:

-Enable AA trough your video card driver

-cap your fps using an outside program so the game does not try to run at 120 fps all the time.

-disable shadows if the 2 first doesn't work ( doesn't do anything for me)

Vsync will lock your FPS.

Many people have stated, they have no issues at all playing. No overheating, and get well over 100 FPS.

vsync doesn't work for me .. Wether it's off or on when i use a program like fraps or dxtory to verify my current fps it still says i run at 110-120 fps...capping it externally seems to work tough.

VSync doesnt work and AA doesnt work for me either

Before patch I was playing full screen mode - my GPU overheated very quickly and game stuttered

I changed to windowed mode and it was fine for the moment...

However, after the patch with graphic fixes even windowed mode is screwed. I play all max and ffs I do not want to compromise the quality of this game. I changed to min details and it doesnt help either (only prolongs the time before I have to shut down)

6mo ago I bought a super expensive gaming laptop (Alienware 1730M with 580 GTX) to the get maximum out of games.

BIOWARE - fix it pronto please. I love SWTOR and I really want to recommend it to all my friends.

you can use an outside program to cap the FPS to whatever you like ... i had the same problem until i picked Dxtory.exe

http://dxtory.com/v2-home-en.html if you're interested it's a software capture screen but you can simply use the fps capping feature.

Thanks for the info, I just tried this Dxtory and it works like a charm :D

Much better than VSync, and lets me increase the fps cap to something I think is still safe and won't freak this buggy piece of coding out, but more than the crappy 60 fps VSync lets me get, and runs the game much better than with VSync on (VSync actually decreased performance, I need those extra fps).

Edited by lollie