Bioware, your game runs too hot. My solution.

danmanx

Different motherboard, GPU, CPU, speeds etc. It's summer here where I am as well, so I'm also dealing with that extra heat.

I doubt it's that if other games don't cause the same issue.

And it's dead in the middle of winter here in England so it's certainly not the cause of my problem, haha.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's your CPU make and speed, and what's your motherboard?

It's quite likely your rig is limited by something a bit substandard you have in there, and this is keeping your temps down.

Currently it looks like SWTOR is pushing our rigs as fast as they will go, and if you have a fast rig that means a lot of heat - something is very wrong here.

Nope, you're wrong. Guess you missed the part about me running it at max.

I build my own computers. Intel i7 930. Don't remember the model number of my ASUS board at the moment, but it's not a bottleneck... like you're trying to imply.

Sorry lollie... but you're wrong about this being anywhere close to a stress-test program.

No test program can disable internal GPU temperature escalation and prediction mechanism, it is built in to core as separate unit. So when core reaches critical temp, video card will shut down computer. Usually critical temp is around 100C, witch is critical for silicone overall. If 1 transistor from 1 billion transistors gets over cooked, that is it, GPU is dead. Otherwise Futuremark would be already bankrupt long time ago.

Okay, look, furmark pushes max current to the card as one of its tests, preventing the card from throttling current (an nvidia failsafe method). That is not the same as 100 percent load conditions. That disables the failsafe, which can lead to overheating (not always mind you). But it always pushes max current as a stress test.

This is not how Swtor operates. It uses 100 percent of the cards potential at stock clocks. If the temp gets too high, the GPU can still throttle itself, because swtor is not forcing max current.

This is why lollies "its exactly the same" comment is untrue.

Nope, you're wrong. Guess you missed the part about me running it at max.

I build my own computers. Intel i7 930. Don't remember the model number of my ASUS board at the moment, but it's not a bottleneck... like you're trying to imply.

Sorry lollie... but you're wrong about this being anywhere close to a stress-test program.

I'm running it at max too, on an i5 2500K and GTX 580 that I put together.

Sorry Kashaan... But you're dead wrong about this. We don't know if it's related to certain hardware configurations, but it runs a lot like Furmark for us. Just because it doesn't for you does not mean the issue is non-existent.

Edited by PJEBarlow

I'm running it at max too, on an i5 2500K and GTX 580 that I put together.

Sorry Kashaan... But you're dead wrong about this. We don't know if it's related to certain hardware configurations, but it runs a lot like Furmark for us.

Because of something wrong with your computer configuration, yes... we know.

I doubt it's that if other games don't cause the same issue.

And it's dead in the middle of winter here in England so it's certainly not the cause of my problem, haha.

Other games aren't causing the same issue, and what's more this issue only started after the Jan 6th doomsday patch, and only when I have the SWTOR window maximised (fullscreen).

Edited by lollie

I am getting additional heat, and my cooling system is working overtime. The fan is 100%, for 100% of the time. Not overheating, but id say on a hot day with no air con it would.

Its the game. the only thing that its annoying for me is that 15 seconds into every session i need to turn all of the sound up to get over the cooling system noise.

Typically, playing starcraft, wow or w/e else i barely have the fan on at all.

Because of something wrong with your computer configuration, yes... we know.

You're not even capable of discussing this in a mature manner, are you, because we've been over this I don't know how many times now and you still just want to dismiss the issue like some sort of child stomping his feet when he doesn't get his way.

It's not something wrong with my computer. I wouldn't have wasted hours trying to find a problem with my computer if I wasn't completely ready to accept the possibility, but I found nothing. Get that in to your skull or go and try to annoy somebody else.

SWTOR does not force max current into the card...

Neither does Furmark, you have completely failed to understand the Nvidia warning that Lolly wrote. Sorry.

Edited by PJEBarlow

SWTOR does not force max current into the card...

You keep talking about things that don't matter, like making your little geekpoints all over the thread.

It's a stress test - who cares how it's doing it, clearly it's unintentional and what's worse it seems they don't know what, why, or how to fix it yet.

Edited by lollie

Fact: Culveren runs TOR at max with a 580 and doesn't stress his system.

Fact: I run TOR at max with a 560 Ti and it doesn't stress my system.

These very facts prove that while the game may be poorly optimized, it runs NOWHERE NEAR the level of a stress test.

I am getting additional heat, and my cooling system is working overtime. The fan is 100%, for 100% of the time. Not overheating, but id say on a hot day with no air con it would.

Its the game. the only thing that its annoying for me is that 15 seconds into every session i need to turn all of the sound up to get over the cooling system noise.

Typically, playing starcraft, wow or w/e else i barely have the fan on at all.

What are your temps, what is your GPU, what is your case, and what are your loads?

Fact *snip*

Fact *snip*

FACT - there are many threads with many people stating SWTOR has started causing heat issues since the Jan 6th patch.

That's two or four repeat trolls defending BioWare vs the many independent consumers out there who are reporting an issue.

Edited by lollie

GTX 570, i7 2600K, ASUS P8Z68-VPRO . . . I run everything on high at 1680x1050. Temps were between 30-44C CPU and 60-64GPU. I have fans all at full. I enabled V-sync and temps on the GPU went down to 48-54, naturally.

I'm not having the overheating issue that's being reported by some.

I also have very good aftermarket CPU cooling, an excellent airflow case (HAF-X) and a very good stock GPU cooler from Gigabyte.

Just giving my results. I'm not seeing the same issues in heat OR in CPU/GPU utilization.

You keep talking about things that don't matter, like making your little geekpoints all over the thread.

It's a stress test - who cares how it's doing it, clearly it's unintentional and what's worse it seems they don't know what, why, or how to fix it yet.

its not a geek point! you quoted the darn article!

I recently upgraded my computer, prior to my upgrade i had to run games at 100 percent load because my GPU was slow, but that does not make it a stress test!

Fact: Culveren runs TOR at max with a 580 and doesn't stress his system.

Fact: I run TOR at max with a 560 Ti and it doesn't stress my system.

These very facts prove that while the game may be poorly optimized, it runs NOWHERE NEAR the level of a stress test.

FACT: I run TOR at max with a GTX 580 and my GPU cooler sounds like a hovercraft, no amount of diagnosis has revealed a fault with my machine. No other game does this, only programs like Furmark.

FACT: Lollie is having the same problem and, like myself, describes the problem as "TOR running like it's Furmark".

FACT: Hanscholo has just entered the thread and reported the same problem.

I think it's safe to say this problem exists, unless you're accusing us of being stupid or making the problem up for some reason, because you're pretty damn defensive about it and adamant that the game can't be at fault.

Edited by PJEBarlow

FACT - there are many threads with many people stating SWTOR has started causing heat issues since the Jan 6th patch.

If only the musings of the uniformed masses actually meant anything... :rolleyes:

We are not claiming the game is well-optimized. However, the very fact we can run it without stressing our systems means TOR isn't running anywhere near the stress-test level of Furmark, or any other test for that matter.

FACT: I run TOR at max with a GTX 580 and my GPU cooler sounds like a hovercraft, no amount of diagnosis has revealed a fault with my machine. No other game does this, only programs like Furmark.

FACT: Lollie is having the same problem and, like myself, describes the problem as "TOR running like it's Furmark".

I think it's safe to say this problem exists.

okay, well hopefully your problems are fixed with optimization, otherwise i would look at an RMA for your card. I have installed this game on 4 computers and non have an heating issues.

Anyways i am off to play the game, i honestly hope everyone's issues are resolved.

Good luck.

Edited by Culveren

Noticing how slow the game runs on all my computers, as well as the fact that it basically fried my video card as well. I blame the engine. And BioWare for not hiring enough codeheads to fix the issues. Upon looking into the engine that TOR is built with, it appears to be a cool new engine...that has only been used in one commercial release so far: SWTOR.

This is a problem. They need a couple of codeheads to take a good long look at the engine, and improve it... *Not using Codehead as a derogatory term--I wish I were one.

This is purely speculation.

If only the musings of the uniformed masses actually meant anything... :rolleyes:

They do - it means lots of unorganised people are independently reporting an issue - which indicates it exists.

You average uninformed mass are the people you want to spin your product at, if you want to make a lot of sales. If the uninformed masses can't run your game, then you have a problem.

Edited by lollie

Yeah, for some reason you don't like what they're saying so they must just be stupid. :rolleyes:

Very grown up of you.

We are not claiming the game is well-optimized. However, the very fact we can run it without stressing our systems means TOR isn't running anywhere near the stress-test level of Furmark, or any other test for that matter.

It is running like Furmark for us, what part of this do you completely fail to wrap your head around?

Problems are not always universal, the cause of this problem is completely unknown so we don't know what the common denominator is. All we know is that it's happening for us but not for you, and that for some reason you're trying real hard to deny the problem exists.

okay, well hopefully your problems are fixed with optimization, otherwise i would look at an RMA for your card. I have installed this game on 4 computers and non have an heating issues.

You're beginning to sound exactly like some call centre technical support person reading from a script, you know that?

Edited by PJEBarlow

I think it's safe to say this problem exists, unless you're accusing us of being stupid or making the problem up for some reason, because you're pretty damn defensive about it and adamant that the game can't be at fault.

No, I'm not accusing you of making up the problem or lying. However, I am saying that it isn't the fault of TOR's. In your case, specifically, since we know your system is similar to Culveren's, we know that there's something different about your configuration that is causing you to run hotter than Culveren. That means that while TOR may not be well-optimized, it is not TOR's fault your computer is running hotter.

it is not TOR's fault your computer is running hotter.

It is BioWare's fault, as they're who wrote the buggy coding that's causing this issue.

Until they fix it, we're running buggy coding on our expensive rigs, something that might be causing issues you don't even notice...yet.

Edited by lollie

No, I'm not accusing you of making up the problem or lying. However, I am saying that it isn't the fault of TOR's.

You can't possibly know this as a fact, so please stop acting like you do.

The only common denominator in all of our cases seems to be that this issue only happens when playing this particular game, and that leads one to logically suspect that the fault lies with the game itself.

All you seem interested in is defending the game, there's a word for that.

Edit: I'll be gone for 30-45 minutes, I look forward to reading the car wreck.

Edited by PJEBarlow