[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

I cant even remember the last game that had dedicated cinematics other than the intro.

Everything else was in-game graphics.

This is like 5 steps back by todays standards

The game uses in-game graphics for cutscenes, not dedicated or video movies. How else do you think it shows your character ( and your team members characters ) in real time if it wasn't?

The problem is the cutscene uses textures from ingame, but the engine does not allow users to access those ingame textures outside of when it dictates a cutscene.

Edited by Zorvan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to add: Do you guys truly think, if this would not be a bug and a major concern S.Reid would have commented on this and asked for patience and it will find some response soon?

He is aware of it and reacts=it will see action quickly.

That is my hope, that is how I judge his character and that of the entire dev team at BioWare. Guys these fellas are not CodeMasters or some other rubbish club. BioWare is IMO humble as it may be the best game developer currently out there. Have faith because if there is any company I know that gets things right-its BW.

Yeah yeah fanboy here, fanboy there. I am not. I just appreciate folks that deliver quality. And they do. So let's give em some breathing space.

Greetings and Peace to all!

to add: Do you guys truly think, if this would not be a bug and a major concern S.Reid would have commented on this and asked for patience and it will find some response soon?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-10-bioware-most-people-arent-having-swtor-performance-issues

Its nothing that big... 95% of people dont even have any issues... we are all just dreaming that the textures are blurry

I have a bad feeling about this.

The graphics guys know about this issue. It's not like they suddenly found out about it when Mr. Reid burst into their office yesterday. They're just trying to PR spin it now.

My money's on the official word being something like...

During the early stages of beta, we experimented with allowing players to use the high-quality cutscene textures during gameplay. However, we disabled them when it became obvious that rendering large crowds of maximum-detail characters in places like the Fleet and during operations was causing a drastic performance hit. We will let you know if we make any progress in the issue. Until then, you can continue enjoying the high-resolution textures during cutscenes.

17 months later

We're proud to announce another exciting feature for our first expansion set! We're introducing a brand-new feature we've been working on for months - high-resolution textures outside of conversation cutscenes!

Click this link to purchase the digital download edition of the expansion from Origin - only $60!

Edited by carnac_fett

I have a bad feeling about this.

The graphics guys know about this issue. It's not like they suddenly found out about it when Mr. Reid burst into their office yesterday. They're just trying to PR spin it now.

My money's on the official word being something like...

During the early stages of beta, we experimented with allowing players to use the high-quality cutscene textures during gameplay. However, we disabled them when it became obvious that rendering large crowds of maximum-detail characters in places like the Fleet and during operations was causing a drastic performance hit. We will let you know if we make any progress in the issue. Until then, you can continue enjoying the high-resolution textures during cutscenes.

17 months later

We're proud to announce another exciting feature for our first expansion set! We're introducing a brand-new feature we've been working on for months - high-resolution textures outside of conversation cutscenes!

Click this link to purchase the digital download edition of the expansion from Origin - only $60!

Probably. The thought of that just makes me ill.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-10-bioware-most-people-arent-having-swtor-performance-issues

Its nothing that big... 95% of people dont even have any issues... we are all just dreaming that the textures are blurry

I have a high-end pc and i have most of the issues, Low fps/Low resolution textures/Horrible shadows/Combat delay(whatever you wanna call it)

Who do they think they're fooling here by releasing such a statement?

Stephen Reid

Rockjaw Stephen Reid

Have you looked at the #SWTOR Dev Tracker recently? It's got stuff in it. swtor.com/community/devt…

3 hours ago

Albert Gil Morera

AlbertGilMorera Albert Gil Morera

@

@Rockjaw How about you give us an answer already on high resolution textures?

3 hours ago

in reply to ↑

Stephen Reid

@Rockjaw Stephen Reid

@AlbertGilMorera Working on it.

3 hours ago via TweetDeck

Of course, there's nothing on the dev tracker regarding the issue past Reids last post yesterday.

Edited by Zorvan

Stephen Reid

Rockjaw Stephen Reid

Have you looked at the #SWTOR Dev Tracker recently? It's got stuff in it. swtor.com/community/devt…

3 hours ago

Albert Gil Morera

AlbertGilMorera Albert Gil Morera

@

@Rockjaw How about you give us an answer already on high resolution textures?

3 hours ago

in reply to ↑

Stephen Reid

@Rockjaw Stephen Reid

@AlbertGilMorera Working on it.

3 hours ago via TweetDeck

I want an answer to this as badly as anyone else, but it really bugs me when people are rude right to a developer's face like this.

I want an answer to this as badly as anyone else, but it really bugs me when people are rude right to a developer's face like this.

I just copied the tweet, I'm not in it.

But in defense of Albert there, many get tired of asking nicely and getting nowhere, and so they get a little frustrated and it shows in their posts.

And honestly, if Albert is being rude, then I must be a real certifiable ******e.

Edited by Zorvan

You know, it's difficult to find someone with as much pride in their game, or hobby, or job to where they write a guide, or something relevant to whatever it is they are interested in. It's hard enough to get help often times, and wade through the ridiculous amount of troll-esque replies. Even now, someone feels the need to quote your post, and sum it up with sarcasm.

You sir have honestly won my utmost respect for your post, and doing so in such great character. Forums are a place where some of the most unintelligent, poorly-raised, snobby brats come to tickle their pleasure node by being themselves. You taking the time to write out such a well put together, and respectful post, despite knowing the majority of the audience is what i described, is outstanding.

This game would be a far better place if there was more emphasis on conducting ourselves in a manner similar to yourself. So hats off to you, and may the force be with you.

ps. It would be an honor to play with the likes of your kind, what server are you on?

The guild name is Embassy of Light on swtor. We have expanded to Wall of Light server for pve so far, will probably be on Vrook lamar for rp and Rakata Mind Prison for pvp

You can wisper Giglz in game or any other officer online for an invite on SWTOR, WOW, StarTrek, etc if you agree to the rules, but no cussing in gchat, play fair, be nice, keep real life first, ask b4 need for the most part etc.

You can check more info on bladefistembassy.com, No obligations - you can come and go as you like. Rank is earned by the type of person you are irl, your integrity etc. Nobody is demoted for lack of being able to be active, once you earn a rank you keep it as long as you keep an alt in the guild atleast, and we are extremely stable and have been around half a decade.

We are still trying to add alot of our players on swtor though because you can not add friends that are not online yet so finding many is taking awhile.

We do not actively recruit and generally do not offer invititations unless we get to know you some and have played together, we have multiple affiliated guilds, hardcore end gamers that alot of times require applications but we are pretty casual and family oriented (many have gotten married and had babies since joining and yes even a couple of divorces and job loses<hence the irl first rule>)and generally a home base for many that like hardcore end game.

Also everything is run as a round table type, I am technically just a puppet that does what all our Sr. Ambassadors (officers) agree on, any policy changes have to be unanimous, as do officer promotions and demotions. Generally Jr. Officer isnt considered with less then a year in guild, though some exceptions are made when some of the smaller guilds merge with us, I generally make them jr at the start so they can promote or demote their people as they know to do so. Leadership works differently, raid (ops) leaders and questing and pvp leaders generally change and do not require officer rank, some are voted out, others voted in, some rise to the challenge others just want to be left alone after trying to organize end game activities lol :p So leadership of activities changes as the players decide.

Our player base is mostly US, but many are from europe, austrailia, asia south america as well. Most are firemen, police officers, military, doctors, lawyers, college students, stay at home moms and just in general pretty upstanding citizens irl even if they only work retail or dig ditches for a living and have pretty stable jobs irl.

If you do decide to join us, it will be good to have you and if you do not, have fun and remember, if ur not having fun, your doing it wrong :p

I imagine the mentality of some is that a reply of any kind, even a thread closure or suspension, is better than no reply at all.

(Like we are seeing here.)

WHAT DOES "Working on it" MEAN????

Working on the textures? Working on the press release? Working on stalling? Working on an uber patch to be released tomorrow?

They think that if they are as vague as possible we will stop asking about it.

The guild name is Embassy of Light on swtor. We have expanded to Wall of Light server for pve so far, will probably be on Vrook lamar for rp and Rakata Mind Prison for pvp

You can wisper Giglz in game or any other officer online for an invite on SWTOR, WOW, StarTrek, etc if you agree to the rules, but no cussing in gchat, play fair, be nice, keep real life first, ask b4 need for the most part etc.

You can check more info on bladefistembassy.com, No obligations - you can come and go as you like. Rank is earned by the type of person you are irl, your integrity etc. Nobody is demoted for lack of being able to be active, once you earn a rank you keep it as long as you keep an alt in the guild atleast, and we are extremely stable and have been around half a decade.

We are still trying to add alot of our players on swtor though because you can not add friends that are not online yet so finding many is taking awhile.

We do not actively recruit and generally do not offer invititations unless we get to know you some and have played together, we have multiple affiliated guilds, hardcore end gamers that alot of times require applications but we are pretty casual and family oriented (many have gotten married and had babies since joining and yes even a couple of divorces and job loses<hence the irl first rule>)and generally a home base for many that like hardcore end game.

Also everything is run as a round table type, I am technically just a puppet that does what all our Sr. Ambassadors (officers) agree on, any policy changes have to be unanimous, as do officer promotions and demotions. Generally Jr. Officer isnt considered with less then a year in guild, though some exceptions are made when some of the smaller guilds merge with us, I generally make them jr at the start so they can promote or demote their people as they know to do so. Leadership works differently, raid (ops) leaders and questing and pvp leaders generally change and do not require officer rank, some are voted out, others voted in, some rise to the challenge others just want to be left alone after trying to organize end game activities lol :p So leadership of activities changes as the players decide.

Our player base is mostly US, but many are from europe, austrailia, asia south america as well. Most are firemen, police officers, military, doctors, lawyers, college students, stay at home moms and just in general pretty upstanding citizens irl even if they only work retail or dig ditches for a living and have pretty stable jobs irl.

If you do decide to join us, it will be good to have you and if you do not, have fun and remember, if ur not having fun, your doing it wrong :p

Once again, I can only applaud your thorough and kind reply.

I'm on the East Coast, so we may have to settle for forum acquaintances for now, but I really do appreciate the open arms. I may have to roll on your PvP server at some point to join the battle though, my current server (Ven Zallow) seems to be lacking in the population department, regardless of the what the server select screen indicates.

Thanks again for the invite

Once again, I can only applaud your thorough and kind reply.

I'm on the East Coast, so we may have to settle for forum acquaintances for now, but I really do appreciate the open arms. I may have to roll on your PvP server at some point to join the battle though, my current server (Ven Zallow) seems to be lacking in the population department, regardless of the what the server select screen indicates.

Thanks again for the invite

Anytime :) and maybe we will see each other fighting those meanie sith one of these days :p <no offense to our empire guildies lol u know ur bad :p hehe

Hope they fix this offending code by the patch tonight or whenever it comes out.

If the reason they are taking 2 days to 'get back to us' is because they are trying to attach this to the patch that didn't go through this morning, then I'd be very impressed. I think that is very wishful thinking, though.