Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

lbut im not going to be such a spoiled little brat

You say this while crying like a child in this post, maybe you should stop speaking for others and what their opinions/intentions are regarding this game, that is ofcourse the grown-up thing to do.

On-topic: it's a shame Bioware is so silent about these things especially considering most of the issues (flaws) with game/engine went all the way back to the start of the beta, imho this game should have been delayed 3 months so they could atleast get this game in working order, mostly speaking about combat delay/poor fps/graphical options not functioning.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QFT It irks me a little but its not worth cancelling a sub of a game you enjoy over.

This.

Whining drama queens who are threatening to cancel their subs over every single problem that shows up, and their desire to announce it the rest of the world are becoming boring and tiresome.

Guess what, the problem persists, it will be solved like all the others will be solved.

When?

No one knows, could be in a week, could be in a month.

You want to leave and make 16 threads and 50 posts about it?

Fine, no one will really shed a tear, the majority will actually be relieved for not having to read those dramatic posts and threads, announcements made from people who behave like the entire universe is centered around them...

The game is not possessing LOD correctly. The game is placing priority on objects other than those viewable to the player. its a problem http://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php?action=printpage;topic=228.0

I for one want to hear that its a known issue and that its being fixed, and not brushed under the rug with a change to the wording in the prefs menu.

Let me detail possible issues that could be caused by improper LOD. Massive ram use, constant HD access, CPU and GPU heat issues, random Low frames. And when we look in the Tech support forum what do we find? Massive ram use, constant HD access, CPU and GPU heat issues, random Low frames.

I want to hear that this is or isnt causing those issues. I want to be assured that this game isnt lowering the life expectancy of my GPU and CPU.

If this doesn't get resolved SOON, the marketing department will have ruined the game.

I don't think developers pushed for an early launch. I'm sure they wanted to present a work of excellence and perfection. It was a corporate decision.

And yes, the game was rushed out early and the excuse "it's a really big game and every mmo has bugs etc..." is a bunch of bull. The game is clearly unfinished and not just buggy: Lack of endgame, poor balancing, ability tweaking, fps optimization, missing legacy and lvl 50 orange gears, and not to mention the flawed textures.

What a joke EA. What a joke LA. What a joke BW. I'm glad you made a quick buck because that's all you'll get if this doesn't get resolved before you start charging people monthlies.

Just to mention, that i don't have any "great" issues at the moment (no overheating or something similar since pre-launch).

There also is another post mentioning that for some players with Win7 and Vista, who use compatibility xp-sp3 mode getting a better perfomance and even high-res out of it

(the process might have even one or two more steps for that, don't remember it clearly right now).

Some players also claim to have through that "backdoor solution" high-res.

So might there be somekind of communications error between Win7/Vista platform and the game?

But i am curious about the soon coming answer for the developers.

(and to get the flaming from the right side, i am a support of this game, no denier/hater)

I think you are missing the point. The textures were and are in the game they are just not on and there is no reason for it unless it is a glitch or some other issue with the game. Therefore we want the fix to the textures that were advertised and available in early beta. Do so and you will have my money for the year because the game is great in every other way.

For those who are boggled by the idea that someone would cancel over this, let me try to clarify:

I wouldn't cancel because the textures are bad. They ARE bad, and blurry, and disappointing, etc., but the reason I would cancel is because of poor communication from Bioware with regard to this and many other issues that need attention (specifically with regard to the Jedi Knight class) - it doesn't bode well for the future of the game if they are going to try to treat us like ignorant sheep (They thought they could just rename the blurry medium textures to 'high' and we would be cool with that? Seriously??)

Stephen Reid got called out yesterday, and suddenly the patch isn't going through today. I take this as a good sign that they realized that we aren't quite as dumb as they think we are. Maybe we'll get an honest, detailed explanation of the problem today. We'll see.

If this doesn't get resolved SOON, the marketing department will have ruined the game.

I don't think developers pushed for an early launch. I'm sure they wanted to present a work of excellence and perfection. It was a corporate decision.

And yes, the game was rushed out early and the excuse "it's a really big game and every mmo has bugs etc..." is a bunch of bull. The game is clearly unfinished and not just buggy: Lack of endgame, poor balancing, ability tweaking, fps optimization, missing legacy and lvl 50 orange gears, and not to mention the flawed textures.

What a joke EA. What a joke LA. What a joke BW. I'm glad you made a quick buck because that's all you'll get if this doesn't get resolved before you start charging people monthlies.

THe door is that way >>>>>

"Missing Legacy" THis was the last thing to be added before the retail client and they have said it was going to take a while to create it.

Lack of End Game? It has a considerable amount to do that most MMOs did not have at launch, you just have a lack of imagination.

I have seen far more MMOs in worst states that they are considered unfinished. SWTOR is in a very stable build with very few minor bugs that can be fixed later. No MMO has ever been released in a perfect state. This game obviously doesn't fit what you want. Well there are plenty of other MMos out there, go play them instead of trolling a forum for a game you obviously don't enjoy.

"

Stephen Reid got called out yesterday, and suddenly the patch isn't going through today. I take this as a good sign that they realized that we aren't quite as dumb as they think we are. Maybe we'll get an honest, detailed explanation of the problem today. We'll see.

No one got called out. There was a forum topic that was getting large and has been on the first page for 3 days. Stephen's job is to handle the community, it would be his job to find the response to this which he has stated we will get one, whether its the answer people seek or not is another thing. If anyone actually thinks Bioware was pulling wool over anyone's eyes, you are a fool because they know that their consumers will find any issue and pick at it constantly.

Edited by Phoenixblight

Why is this the only thing you can say against someone who is unhappy with this game? It's either this or the all-time classic ''go back to wow''

Edited by mesha

right so after reading this yesterday i was curious because to my eyes the game was already amazing, how could it be i wasn't seeing everything as super high already...

so i went on a limb and re installed ... royal pain in the *** ... i ran in to the looping asset 1 re-install, thank you to w/e uped the full install torrents to bypass this issue.

so to my surprise and the horror of my gfx card... i wasn't running at the max that i thought... and i was treated to a whole lot more eye-candy then i thought possible. i need to get that second gfx card for my crossfire set up soon... poor cards pulling heavy load now if i don't drop several features down to low... but i'm not giving up the high textures ^_^;;

right so after reading this yesterday i was curious because to my eyes the game was already amazing, how could it be i wasn't seeing everything as super high already...

so i went on a limb and re installed ... royal pain in the *** ... i ran in to the looping asset 1 re-install, thank you to w/e uped the full install torrents to bypass this issue.

so to my surprise and the horror of my gfx card... i wasn't running at the max that i thought... and i was treated to a whole lot more eye-candy then i thought possible. i need to get that second gfx card for my crossfire set up soon... poor cards pulling heavy load now if i don't drop several features down to low... but i'm not giving up the high textures ^_^;;

I'm trying to make sense of this. Are you saying you did a re-install and the high res textures were magically working for you? Can you pose a screenshot? Thanks!

I'm trying to make sense of this. Are you saying you did a re-install and the high res textures were magically working for you? Can you pose a screenshot? Thanks!

This a False. The poster had already thought the game looked good. Its just a placebo effect. I can confirm this doesn't work at all. I had to reinstall after the fourth due to me reformatting the hard drive and the textures are still the same.

Edited by Phoenixblight

THe door is that way >>>>>.

First 6 months of warhammer had a ton of the door is that way posts... If You are Bio wares only defenders then they truly have a very large issue. Or maybe you want them to lay off half the staff every 3 months. Personal i prefer the QQ sit here, or best case get addressed. Your option puts the future of the development in question. I think you all believe that EA is like your local mom and pop store. Where if they make a profit they stay open. EA isnt looking to make a profit, or even just to recoup its massive investment. EA needs their stock prices to go up. Only big wins can do that. Turning a moderate profit isn't going to keep the development team employed. If Bio-ware cant show a growing subscription base EA will put them in the corner with Mythic. And they will do it before the investors conference call.

"Missing Legacy" THis was the last thing to be added before the retail client and they have said it was going to take a while to create it.

Lack of End Game? It has a considerable amount to do that most MMOs did not have at launch, you just have a lack of imagination.

I have seen far more MMOs in worst states that they are considered unfinished. SWTOR is in a very stable build with very few minor bugs that can be fixed later. No MMO has ever been released in a perfect state. This game obviously doesn't fit what you want. Well there are plenty of other MMos out there, go play them instead of trolling a forum for a game you obviously don't enjoy.

"

No one got called out. There was a forum topic that was getting large and has been on the first page for 3 days. Stephen's job is to handle the community, it would be his job to find the response to this which he has stated we will get one, whether its the answer people seek or not is another thing. If anyone actually thinks Bioware was pulling wool over anyone's eyes, you are a fool because they know that their consumers will find any issue and pick at it constantly.

I can deal with all the thigs you have stated. What i cannot accept is they lack of acknowledgement of issues. thousands and thousands of players have been unable to log in tdue to their launchers being broken, the last stealth patch to prepare for 1.02a completely destroyred the launcher. many have even tried reinstalling. you cant sersiously defend a company that wont even address unservicable customers with an apology and we are working on it response?.thousands and thousands of people cannot even get past the load screen to chr select. Is this a defensible issue? i can handle in game bugs wonky performace and even missing features as simple as low quality resolution and removal of anti aliasing. Poor endgame content hell i expected that its a launch MMO and am totally willing to subscribe have fun with what they got and enjoy the ride of the evolving system. But the rest is completely un acceptable.

Phoenixblight you want to show this guy the door too:

Thats the intention. I will not pay for shoddy development and incompetent QA processes. Thus I won't be "helping" BioWare finance this hot mess any further.

Beta didn't cost me anything but time and thus I did not care what bugs I ran into, I reported them and moved on. Apparently all that data was more or less ignored in favor of the reports of the in house testing group and friends and family testing groups, both of which have apparently turned out to be horridly deficient at recognizing the difference in texture LOD between one beta build and another and did not key up that issue internally as something they needed to fix before release because its a VIDEO GAME, and thus VISUALS ARE IMPORTANT.

My collectors edition and my wifes cost me 300 dollars, and we're looking at 30 more dollars paid out to EA/BW come the 19th of this month. And somewhere between the art department and build deployment theres not ONE PERSON that can tell the Community Manager what a nearly two month old problem IS and why its STILL OCCURRING. I'm already pissed off they've got me back on the "grind tokens for welfare epics so you can grind dungeons for non-welfare epics" train that I jumped off of in WoW a few months after WoTLK came out, if my welfare epics that I hate grinding for look like crap too, well then I'm just a little bit angrier and I don't see what throwing my money into supporting this title does other than say I'm basically a sheep that'll pay for anything with a Star Wars label on it regardless of its quality (or lack thereof).

I don't have the PC hardware I have to play SWTOR and have it be nearly the same pixelated low rez mess that KOTOR (without independent patches) is on the same machine today.

Should be a response today.

yes, just as their should have been one yesterday. and one for all the times it was allegedly reported in beta. At this point i hope that response is complete and addresses more than just the wording of the option and how it corresponds to the INI file. I hope it has a detailed definition of the real issue, details on how it will be fixed, and a loose timeline for that fix. But i fear it will be "Yeah yeah, we know about the issue and will work on it"

you cant sersiously defend a company that wont even address unservicable customers with an apology and we are working on it response?.thousands and thousands of people cannot even get past the load screen to chr select.

This is not what the topic is about at all nor do I need comment on it. I have yet to experience this bug nor did I really know about it. But Bioware doesn't have to comment on the forums, you will just have to wait until a patch is released to see if they will fix it. Just because they don't comment on this problem doesn't mean they don't acknowledge it. They know about it, they just have to actually work to find where the issue is and what is the cause which would be hard to do because of the variations in hardware from PC to PC. FOr all we know it may be because they have a niche mp3 player running a process in the background that is causing the issue. But this is not what the topic is about nor should it be derailed to be spoken about. GO create another thread and bring it up.

yes, just as their should have been one yesterday. and one for all the times it was allegedly reported in beta. At this point i hope that response is complete and addresses more than just the wording of the option and how it corresponds to the INI file. I hope it has a detailed definition of the real issue, details on how it will be fixed, and a loose timeline for that fix. But i fear it will be "Yeah yeah, we know about the issue and will work on it"

Stephen had specifically said that this issue will get a response on it today. Whether it is "We plan on fixing it but have no eta" or a post with technical details on why this issue is taking so long to fix, we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by Phoenixblight

+1

Give us an explanation BioWare!

My question to all the posters here is how many of you have AA forced on? This game looks more then good with AA on. And I don't even have AA maxed. Ya I'd like some higher res textures as well but the only time you notice em is on your character when you zoom in. And the only time you should be fully zoomed in is when you are talking to someone and well higher res textures work there.

Here is a pic of my Jedi chilling in Alderaan, http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/268/screenshot2012011007251.jpg/

How is that not playable? To all the people who are going to cancel there subscription after looking at that screenie go ahead cause the game is never going to look as good as you hoped. This is the hero engine, where miracles go to die. Let me just state again I'm all for better textures, but you just have to be realistic peeps. Looking forward to an announcement on the issue Stephen!

Edited by XFrOzEnX

Off topic.

I have to say that Henry's goal for Arsenal last night was a pure magic moment, those around here who watch football know what i am talking about.

Just had to share the thought :)

Edited by Vlacke