Why won't 1.1 have dungeon finder?

Jkronoff

Personal experience, ignore if you want.

Back in WoW before the dungeon finder (Vanilla), it was extremely easy to find a group, and I made quite a few e-friends that way. All you had to do was use the current tools that were already implemented.

It really isn't so bad to scroll down the list of a /who 50 or a /who #-# and whisper them. Even if people turn you down, you at least "talk" to them. They may say, "Oh. I have to go do something for like 35 minutes, but if you're looking for someone after that, I'll definitely be down." Bam, back-up plan. Now you're more likely to talk to them again because you'll remember they'll be on once you're down with the other fp.

I will give that it IS convenient, but it is something not entirely necessary. I wouldn't not use the LFG tool if it were implemented-- that would just be stupid. But realize that it "does" stifle communication. And more often than not, a LFG made group turns into, "CC arrow" "Boss does ..."

And never a, "Hey, this was a great time. Why don't you msg me later if you're looking for another DPS/Tank/Healer. My alt's name is [this]".

By greeting them first in /whispers I've been more open, I've talked to them a bit more about something they're doing if they need to afk for 5 mins before an invite, etc.

TL;DR

Implement it if you want, but they "are" justified when talking about dungeon finder ruining a community. It really isn't that hard to /who for 5 minutes.

Edited by Telyl

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

EU servers are fine, I've yet to wait more than 10 minutes for a group, and 10 minutes was the extreme at 6am during workweek (yes, I had work in the morning, SWTOR takes priority, however).

10 minutes? You are good at lying too. Try 30 min if you are lucky, at peak hour.

Had it been 10 minutes I would be extatic. It would be like a dream come true. I would for sure not skip any flashpoints if it was only 10 min.

Guess fanbois will say anything to make the game look good.

Your name calling, doesn't help yoru case any, furthermore you underestimate the power of the starwars nerd. Pretty sure the fans of Starwars outnumber those of you who are not.

Im not talking about fans. Im quite the Star Wars fan my self. Im talking about fanboys. They are something ells then a fan.

A fan can understand and see that something my not be right. A fanboi is totally blind to any form for criticism. They are totally blind to bugs and bad things in their game.

Any changes to their game is bad no matter what.

The greater part of the community being the players that don't have time to play the game, making themselves more vocal on the forums so that the company can see where they get most of their money from.

That will make the company even more money hungry, making it even easier as they see that they can make more money with *******r content by making that content easier to complete by those who don't have time to give a **** if they're doing the rotations, speccing the right way or even has any clue of tactics for any given encounter.

That is where you get the LFD tool from.

So now many more people are playing the game, but don't really have time to do it properly, than the people who try to do it properly. Forcing the company to make it easier to make more people flock on feeding the fat cats into becoming even fatter.

THAT is where your entire community is.

What's is to play the game properly? TO wait in a place doing nothing finding a group in all that spam? Or trying to find a replacement for an ongoing flashpoint because one of the player disconnected, and wasting an hour doing so, and maybe even having to give up the instance altogether?

Is playing properly the need to waste a lot of time traveling to the instances and then traveling back?

I think I'm starting to see a pattern. To you people, playing the game "properly" is to waste a lot of time to do stuff. To be a "good" player and a not a lazy player, one must spend a lot of time doing nothing, walking and traveling for minutes, and spending time looking for other to do something.

That's how one becomes a "real" MMO player: you need to waste a lot of time not playing the game.:rolleyes:

That's really hardcore...

I am torn on this Idea. On one hand I can see the need for it.. Example... I get to new planet only 15 people on said planet.. I send a /1 message yada yada looking for xxxx group for xxxx heroic/FP.... I hear crickets most of the time....

If I could get behind and Dungeon finder it would be like a Lobby system... You go into the Social window. There would be a Flashpoint/Heroic Mission Tab. Everyone who has Advertised there group Would show up in there. It would then be possible to see all the quests they have to do and whether your eligible to participate. You would then /whisper to the group and ask to join.

Almost EVERYONE i know IGNORES General chat so finding a group is very hard at times. I am in a guild and only get to group with them for the most part. I am on my 3rd toon now and have missed about 70% of the heroics and FPs. Hell i did Essless for the first time last week. This comming from a 3 build betatester and early access player.

I do however share the concerns of the naysayers. I want there to be a social way of having a flashpoint lobby system....

Short Answer - Add server only LFG

Long Answer - Some RL friends who I play MMO's with and are new to the genre wanted to see how wow played and what it looked like. We decided to dowload cheap game and log on one night a week and do some questing together. I don't remember what the LFG was like when I quit sometime through the burnng crusade but what they've done is great. Within 2 minutes of wanting to do a dungeon we were in a group and zoned into the instance.

Based on this I can see both sides of the argument, its useful for low pop servers and people starting out late in the game, but does destroy any sense of community especially if cross server. One of the worst things about rift was the cross server battle grounds.

Another factor is Star Wars is a start to MMOs for people who have never played this type of game before. People who don't know what a guild is. Thats why companies have tips for movement and easy questing at the beginning of the game. For people new to it.

On other side, point of having a guild or even joining one is non existent in this game except to be as a group with people you know. So unless BW decide to introduce reason to be in a guild, might as well implement LFG.

10 minutes? You are good at lying too. Try 30 min if you are lucky, at peak hour.

Had it been 10 minutes I would be extatic. It would be like a dream come true. I would for sure not skip any flashpoints if it was only 10 min.

Guess fanbois will say anything to make the game look good.

It's spelled ecstatic and fanboy.

Also, it really has been 10 minutes for me. Sure my characters are either healers or tanks, but I honestly don't see the problem. Also, I'm usually on my tank and my friend is playing the healer, and we get 2 dps in under 30 seconds every single time we look for a FP together. If the community has problems with healers/tanks, that's a community problem and any sort of LFG system won't change that in a million years.

If the groups take too long to fill for you, figure out why and fix it. I have, it worked great for me.

The greater part of the community being the players that don't have time to play the game, making themselves more vocal on the forums so that the company can see where they get most of their money from.

Logic dictates that the people who are on the forum making posts are probably doing it when they aren't playing, so inversely people who can't play a lot have an awful lot of time to post. With my awkward work schedule this makes me a prime example in this field.

That will make the company even more money hungry, making it even easier as they see that they can make more money with *******r content by making that content easier to complete by those who don't have time to give a **** if they're doing the rotations, speccing the right way or even has any clue of tactics for any given encounter.

That is where you get the LFD tool from.

The LFD tool was specifically created because problems with the population balance in WoW. The vast majority of servers had a high enough pop so that the instance servers were always full, or too low of a pop to keep people sustained running content (the current fear I have for this game as the post-30 days crowd leaves). I suppose your conspiracy theory about them making more money through easier content works, considering casual players (again, vast majority of an MMORPG population) are more willing to pay money when they don't have to spend half their session forming/waiting on groups, but you make it sound far more insidious than it actually is.

So now many more people are playing the game, but don't really have time to do it properly, than the people who try to do it properly. Forcing the company to make it easier to make more people flock on feeding the fat cats into becoming even fatter.

The objective is balance. You want as many people playing your game as possible. While this naturally (again) biases towards the casual player, making content for the more hardcore crowd is necessary to keep them around as well. This is where WoW shines imo. Anyone can dungeon finder their way to epics and feel good about themselves, while people who want a true challenge can do hardmode 25 man raids and play the game how they want to. The difference between someone who plays for 2 hours a day and spends his time in LFG tool as opposed to someone who downs H Ragnaros after weeks of attempts is staggering and rightfully so, and that divide should exist to give both groups and everyone in between motivation.

So if WoW is everything you ever asked for, why not go there and leave us to this game we actually like?

Because maybe we like that feature of WoW and want it in a game that we like more, like SWTOR? This game already takes so many systems from WoW taking one more shouldn't hurt, especially one as objectively well designed and well implemented as the LFD tool.

EU servers are fine, I've yet to wait more than 10 minutes for a group, and 10 minutes was the extreme at 6am.

Anecdote aside (My servers better than your server!) at level 34 it takes me ~hour to fill up a group from fleet and took me about 30 minutes to get a Hammer Station group together this evening. Two characters on two different servers that both hit Very Heavy pop at prime time.

Realm-intern-only, no transportation / teleportation and no automatic composing (people would be registered in a list along with other people also looking for a group) - THIS would be an acceptable compromise for an extension of the already existing LFG-tool.

It's spelled ecstatic and fanboy.

Also, it really has been 10 minutes for me. Sure my characters are either healers or tanks, but I honestly don't see the problem. Also, I'm usually on my tank and my friend is playing the healer, and we get 2 dps in under 30 seconds every single time we look for a FP together. If the community has problems with healers/tanks, that's a community problem and any sort of LFG system won't change that in a million years.

If the groups take too long to fill for you, figure out why and fix it. I have, it worked great for me.

Same here, I decided to go tank after seeing there was a lack of on my server.

And this is another reason why no LFD tool is better for community in general. People realize faster what class is lacking, and the developer doesn't have to create yet another cookie to give if a tank or healer is queuing in the LFD tool. Yes I'm looking at you Blizzard, you cookie feeder, potatoe couch maker.

Edited by kineticdamage

I have a horrible secret for you anti-LFD people

The "Lazy, Casual, Anti-Social" players you are so terrified of are the ones who make a MMO a big success.

The "I wan't to force everyone to play the game the way I want to play it" people are not enough to keep a game running long term.

Why are you so terrified of the LFD and why do you want to force people to play the game the way you want to?

LFD is an optional tool for players to use if they choose, why don't you want us to have options?

Short Answer - Add server only LFG

Long Answer - Some RL friends who I play MMO's with and are new to the genre wanted to see how wow played and what it looked like. We decided to dowload cheap game and log on one night a week and do some questing together. I don't remember what the LFG was like when I quit sometime through the burnng crusade but what they've done is great. Within 2 minutes of wanting to do a dungeon we were in a group and zoned into the instance.

Based on this I can see both sides of the argument, its useful for low pop servers and people starting out late in the game, but does destroy any sense of community especially if cross server. One of the worst things about rift was the cross server battle grounds.

Another factor is Star Wars is a start to MMOs for people who have never played this type of game before. People who don't know what a guild is. Thats why companies have tips for movement and easy questing at the beginning of the game. For people new to it.

On other side, point of having a guild or even joining one is non existent in this game except to be as a group with people you know. So unless BW decide to introduce reason to be in a guild, might as well implement LFG.

you left out the other benefit of being in a guild which helps the argument of and LFG tool not being necessary, use your guild to find groups, it is a known fact that people pay way more attention to guild chat vs. any general chat channel.

The "Lazy, Casual, Anti-Social" players you are so terrified of are the ones who make a MMO a big success.

The "I wan't to force everyone to play the game the way I want to play it" people are not enough to keep a game running long term.

Why are you so terrified of the LFD and why do you want to force people to play the game the way you want to?

So why did you left the number one casual MMO ?

It has all what you're asking for, but you left it ? Why ?

Bioware chosed not to have the WoW's LFD tool, respect it. Especially if there are a lot of people defending it.

Edited by kineticdamage

Realm-intern-only, no transportation / teleportation and no automatic composing (people would be registered in a list along with other people also looking for a group) - THIS would be an acceptable compromise for an extension of the already existing LFG-tool.

I'd like a system where I can make an open party where people apply and I can either accept or decline them. I also get their level and class before I decide, plus I can talk to them. As a PUG raid leader from another MMO, this was the best system for me, because I could weed out a lot of people with issues before they even entered the group.

no actually i have both of those but as i have said in earlier posts if you have any problems finding groups in this game it is not the games fault that your social and group finding skills are lacking.

I don't really have a problem finding groups. I simply want a tool for convenience and for nights when I want to chain flashpoint runs together all night. I am capable of making friends, but you see I don't really care or want to.

Too many friends in an MMO, means more obligations that will interfere with real life.

LFD is an optional tool for players to use if they choose, why don't you want us to have options?

uuum lul at this, by adding an LFD you are forcing others that don't want it to play the way "YOU" want to so in turn have totally contradicted yourself so thanks for playing, you lose, try again.

So why did you left the number one casual MMO ?

It has all what you're asking for, but you left it ? Why ?

Bioware chosed not to have the WoW's LFD tool, respect it. Especially if there are a lot of people defending it.

I played for 7 years and I certainly did not leave because it was too convenient

I like Star Wars...

Edited by Reevax

That's a horrible compromise and nothing like the LFG tool I'd support. For compromise I would say server-only, no transportation, and automatic composition (1 tank, 1 heal, 2 DPS, biased towards having one melee and one ranged).

uuum lul at this, by adding an LFD you are forcing others that don't want it to play the way "YOU" want to so in turn have totally contradicted yourself so thanks for playing, you lose, try again.

Why are you forced to use the LFD if you don't like it? Seems my point is pretty valid.

I am capable of making friends, but you see I don't really care or want to.

Too many friends in an MMO, means more obligations that will interfere with real life.

Here. Pinpointed. LOL now you pro-LFD people are even admitting you don't want to talk to people.

That's hilarious.

Go ... back ... to .. solo games, if you don't want to make friends. And please respect the MMO original social goal and the people who signed for it.

Edited by kineticdamage

That's a horrible compromise and nothing like the LFG tool I'd support. For compromise I would say server-only, no transportation, and automatic composition (1 tank, 1 heal, 2 DPS, biased towards having one melee and one ranged).

This won't ever fly with the current DPS/other things ratio. Edit: Why automatic composition btw? Why not allow the group leader to choose his minions?

Edited by Truga

Why are you forced to use the LFD if you don't like it? Seems my point is pretty valid.

because once it is added the community becomes lazier over time by using it and in turn it forces others to use if they even want to find a group for anything, it happened to wow quite fast within months of adding the LFG tool there was no such thing as spamming chat for a group anymore it is impossible to find a group through chat channels once these are added.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.