Welcome Message from Ray Muzyka & Greg Zeschuk

AmberGreen

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having waited for this for so long I am very happy and excited to be playing today, I did test a few times so I guess its not the same as starting completely fresh but still I can't remember the last time I was actually excited about a new game like this. Congratulations to Bioware and I look forward to seeing what you can come up with in the months and years ahead :)

Unfortunately with no grace period and Amazon US saying it wont ship n be delivered until after christmas, its not a very happy holiday for some of us.

But yes, Ray and Greg, you have a very fantastic holidays and grats on the release.

-- @amazon comes through for CE/SE pre-orders!! They start shipping Dec 15th! THX

No grace period, Christmas mail and ordering the CE online because a Grace period was promised and taken away like some shady marketing scheme simply means set up toons and wait until January to really play...

Ya thanks... wooot... :mad:

Kind of a dick move to send this sort of message when you're not letting most of your customers play. Thanks for rubbing it in.

Kind of a dick move to piss on a parade. Everyone knew this would be a staggered launch. If they didn't, then it's their own faults for being ignorant to a well communicated fact :p They've created something awesome for us to play in and we'll all get to play in a matter of days. Get over yourself :)

This is a big day for us; we are launching Star Wars: The Old Republic, BioWare’s largest and most ambitious project to date, and we’re very proud that you’ve been able to join us. It’s an honor to be able to share this game with you.

A huge team of talented, passionate people at BioWare, Electronic Arts, Lucas Arts as well as many other partners all over the world poured their hearts and souls into this game.

We want to thank every single one of them for being part of the team that developed this game; it’s a monumental accomplishment.

Another group of people that we depended upon was you, the players. We had hundreds of thousands of players spend millions upon millions of hours beta testing this game.

Without you we never would have been able to build it; thank you for your contribution. This game is yours just as much as it is ours.

And finally we want to emphasize that this is just the beginning of a very long journey together. The game is launched, but it’s not done; it will probably never be done as we’re committed to working on Star Wars: The Old Republic in order to keep improving it and delivering exemplary service to you, the customer. It’s going to be a great ride.

Finally, we can only think of one appropriate way to sign off on this auspicious occasion:

May the Force be with you!

Ray Muzyka & Greg Zeschuk

Co-Founders, BioWare

Thanks !! Guys you docs rock!

This is a big day for us; we are launching Star Wars: The Old Republic, BioWare’s largest and most ambitious project to date, and we’re very proud that you’ve been able to join us. It’s an honor to be able to share this game with you.

A huge team of talented, passionate people at BioWare, Electronic Arts, Lucas Arts as well as many other partners all over the world poured their hearts and souls into this game.

We want to thank every single one of them for being part of the team that developed this game; it’s a monumental accomplishment.

Another group of people that we depended upon was you, the players. We had hundreds of thousands of players spend millions upon millions of hours beta testing this game.

Without you we never would have been able to build it; thank you for your contribution. This game is yours just as much as it is ours.

And finally we want to emphasize that this is just the beginning of a very long journey together. The game is launched, but it’s not done; it will probably never be done as we’re committed to working on Star Wars: The Old Republic in order to keep improving it and delivering exemplary service to you, the customer. It’s going to be a great ride.

Finally, we can only think of one appropriate way to sign off on this auspicious occasion:

May the Force be with you!

Ray Muzyka & Greg Zeschuk

Co-Founders, BioWare

I am trying to think of a way to respond to this that wont get pulled. Just go ahead and image the worst possible thing in the world instead of me typing it.

It was sometime around 1983 when I saw for the first time a Star Wars movie: Return of the Jedi. I was 10 and will never forget the countless times fighting with my brothers, weaving our (wooden) light sabers and making their strange noise effect with our voices… We also played with our wannabe-Jedi Playmobil (no license at the time) and was soooo jealous of my American – Greek friend that had a huge Lego SW collection in his room…

However I was never hooked up to the universe (like I was/am feeling towards the world of Tolkien for example). Over the years, I played most of the games (working for 6 years in the video games distribution industry) and have to admit that I was always intrigued by the force (in both its light and dark sides :sul_wink:).

It was not until 1998 that I was TOTALLY amazed by a new PC game: it had dungeons & dragons (moreover licensed :wea_12:), hobbits, parties, sneaking and backstabbing. My little hobbit was alive thanks to a company that I was not aware before that game, a company that I have loved ever since and purchased ALL its Collectors Editions. KOTOR was one of the steps that I believe gave them the idea to work on the SWTOR project. Also at E3 2005, I had a quick one to one meeting with Dr. Ray Muzyka (/respect) discussing the newly launched Jade Empire (also have an autographed counter standee of the game :sul_cool:). The company in question is no other than Bioware – to my humble opinion- the BEST :csw_destroyer: studio out there today. However, if you look at their releases today, it seems as if that all the games they made were just a little rock towards the creation of the “castle” they have delivered.

In late 80s, early 90s I “met” yet another company that followed and supported as a customer over the years, playing the legendary Loom, Monkey Island series and numerous SW games (published by Activision – reason for change of publisher to EA is probably their contract with Blizzard & WoW to my opinion). Lucasarts was the final little ingredient that was necessary (due to license) to bring to life the below mention game (yap, this is just the intro, so buckle up :csw_jabbapet:).

And now we got THIS!

After decades of know-how, millions of code lines, thousands of working hours by people with passion, all the above were put in a “shaker and served a cocktail” that we will be discussing for many years to come!

Where do I start?

The game “smells and tastes” SW from the very first second… You get the possibility to create the character you always cherished or were intrigued by, when watching the movies: would it be a Luke-look alike, the Emperor during his “high-school years”, the nephew of the legendary hunter Boba Fett, the Dark-force crazy Sith warrior or one of these troopers that die by the tens during the battles (not so easy to kill in the game though :csw_trooper:)? The choice is yours and the possibilities limitless…

Each class has its own unique FANTASTIC story, decorated by beautiful cinematics and in-depth quests that takes you around level 15-18 (didn’t finish it with any of the 4 class that I played). The evolution of the character is amazing and I couldn’t ask for more (“casual” gamer, remember? :jawa_wink:). The battles are thriving with SW moves, colors, bolts and sabers coming right from the movies, characters that depict the universe to the smallest details (gotta love that band in the filthy Hutt’s palace bar). Being an RPer for decades, the game gave me the possibility to create the character and literally go under his/her skin…

The quests? Balance between go there – get that, go there – kill that or go there, find this, use it in that & deliver… To the complainers out there: guys, there cannot exist more options than those delivered by BW! That’s the way it is! Those are the options! Loved the optional quests, their difficulty the timing required… BUT, most of all the possibility to deliver a quest through the hologram option! You found a gap and filled it: a group of people, doing quests and then run all around the map to deliver? NOT in this game! You can just split and deliver the common quests without having to be there actually through the use of a hologram! The fantastic system that allows you to “group-talk” to the NPCs gave a yet extra breathe of change to the game… You can actually feel your fellow characters real nature, their beliefs and opinions: they come to life!

Cinematics everywhere: from the intro of each character to the obtaining or delivery of every quest, to the character-only videos? WITH FULL VOICE OVER???????? Oh my! I almost cried with satisfaction! :ph_cheers:

Then, around level 8 I got my first companion… Bioware has been working with the companion-system in numerous games: KOTOR, ME, DA (not going back to BG, ID & NWN series as they were handled differently) so they kept the best of all the already tested systems… Excellent work! Easy to use and especially combined with the crafting skill(s)! Absolutely FANTASTIC: you send him/ her to do all the “dirty” work and eventually (when you have several of them) create a small “factory” in your spaceship! Last but not least, they function as a “complimentary ability to yours”, thus creating a balance between classes: you are a healer, you get a tank, you are a fighter you get a healer etc…

Modifications: great system that actually enables us to stick to our favorite weapon/armor for a long time… We just need to modify it with big upgrades until we change it. Even better, modifications are not lost! We can dismount them and use them to another part of our equipment.

Moving around: great “taxi” system :csw_bike:, later at 15 ability to sprint, even later our own spaceship… modified and capable to fight battle-missions. Now imagine all this great universe within our grip and eventually make a guild meeting in that little filthy canteen/bar in Tatooine picturing a small fleet of guild member parking at the port… Endless RP possibilities.

:hope_01::csw_falcon::csw_tiefighter::csw_shuttle::csw_snowspeeder::csw_xwing:

PvP: balanced, fun, creative… Killed and got killed, adrenaline in full. The BGs were great (some more preferable than others) sure to be accompanied with quests in the final version… No further comment! :csw_redsaber:

Talking Tech: lots of complains by people for the graphics… Small price to pay for such a result to my opinion. Anyways, I play in my notebook and didn’t expect/ wanted much as I do not intend to change it in the near future. Had only 5-10 freezes and crashes which is logical. Only request: PLEASE add bubble text for RP purposes!!! PLEASE!

To wrap this up, as a casual player, I LOVED it, have already pre-ordered it (did it in August – minimum commitment to Bioware for their contribution to my hobby all these years) and hope to see you all in less than a week in a Galaxy Far, Far, Away…

BRAVO GUYS!!!

/bow

/respect

/salute

/thank you!

PS: during the 2 days of the beta weekend, I played almost 17-20 hours creating the following characters:

Bounty Hunter lvl 14, :csw_fett: - my favorite!!!

Imperial Agent lvl 8, :wea_05:

Trooper lvl 6, :wea_09:

Sith Warrior lvl 7 :wea_03:

Looking forward to starting the real character sometime soon now!

Edited by Galur