Best questing in an MMO ever...

rfatcheric

BioWare, Electronic Arts, LucasArts,

Thank you! Thank you for making an MMO that has a questing system that I actually look forward to!

After playing many other MMOs, as good as some of the storylines of the quests may have been, I always dreaded questing. I've played WoW, Rift, DCOU, CoH, DAoC, GW, and EQ. The leveling seemed like a pointless grind, a timesink just to delay you getting to the level cap and experiencing the REAL content, the endgame. I understand timesinks are necessary in MMOs, but I always hated it, just hated leveling.

This game, for me, has turned the idea of MMO leveling upside down. I look forward to questing, my class story has me fully immersed in my character, something that no other MMO has achieved for me. I don't care at all about endgame, when I get there I'll get there! In fact, once I hit 50 on my main, I will most likely just reroll a bunch of alts to see all the other story lines.

When my friends do happen to be on, we can run some flashpoints, and clear up some heroics that i have stacking up, which is also fun. Its like, one of the best single player games I've played, combined with one of the best MMOs I've played.

You can say what you want about this game, all you haters out there, but nothing that anyone can say will change the fact that I love it, and am happy to pay a monthly sub for it. There are bugs, yes, but none of them, for me, have been gamebreaking. I'm happy to stick around until everything gets polished and fixed, the good, BY FAR, outweighs the bad.

Thank you!

A happy happy subscriber.

Edited by rfatcheric

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You can say what you want about this game... but nothing will change the fact that I love it, and am happy to pay a monthly sub for it.

Thank you for providing us a case-study in how to identify a fanboy.

Edited by Mannic

OP is actually using the forum for what it's meant for. Feedback.

He likes the game as do over a million other people. Stop harassing him and go troll on a site where it's allowed. Not here.

Edited by Xaehl

Questing is very good, as well as quest writing.

Issue is, is this really working in SW ?

Let's give you an example. The evil sith lord on Drommund Kaas (I mean the Sith Lord that is eviler than superevil Darth Baras...Gratham, I think ?) There is good build up toward him.

Issue, he still die in 25 seconds. It's anything but a epic duel. Like, you know, the ones in KOTOR and KOTOR 2.

The quest writing is good. The quest design is traditionnal but good. The quest themselves are somewhat detached.

Edited by Angedechu

Thank you for providing us a case-study in how to identify a fanboy.

Good point, what I should have said was, Nothing anyone can say will change the fact that I love this game.

Because there are definitely things that could change the fact that I love it.

I simply can't agree. The story - at times - is above average for this genre of video games but largely you're stuck with the same system that the vast majority of MMO players have become painstakingly familiar with at this point.

A lot of the environments aren't imaginative; the quest objectives simply aren't anything new and you never see the consequences of your actions because the world, at least outside of the instances, is as static as those of this game's many predecessors.

There's no means of deviating from a strict, on-rails levelling path and the difficulty of the game is set to a level that means - while you're never likely to die - a lot of the killing that you have to preform so often feels quite drawn-out and grindy.

I enjoyed levelling in this game at times, but largely it wasn't anything new and there was simply no option but to stop playing for an extended period if I became bored of a particular planet and its quest line.

I think, passed a certain level, it feels a bit too much like WoW in every respect (where questing is concerned) and some tweaking needs to be done to remedy that.

Edit: From the experiences of a level 43, currently on the planet of Belsavis (the concept for this planet and the design is fantastic, so I'm leaning toward the thinking that perhaps Bioware's been a little constrained by such a distinct intellectual property in the respect that they can't really offer something that is in itself memorable - Hoth, Tatooine and Nar Shaddaa are all examples of that).

Edited by Laranth

I enjoyed levelling in this game at times, but largely it wasn't anything new and there was simply no option but to stop playing for an extended period if I became bored of a particular planet and its quest line.

I find that when I play in shorter sessions the enjoyment level goes way up. Like anything, you'll get bored of something after an eight hour run without a break.

I simply can't agree. The story - at times - is above average for this genre of video games but largely you're stuck with the same system that the vast majority of MMO players have become painstakingly familiar with at this point.

A lot of the environments aren't imaginative; the quest objectives simply aren't anything new and you never see the consequences of your actions because the world, at least outside of the instances, is as static as those of this game's many predecessors.

There's no means of deviating from a strict, on-rails levelling path and the difficulty of the game is set to a level that means - while you're never likely to die - a lot of the killing that you have to preform so often feels quite drawn-out and grindy.

I think, passed a certain level, it feels a bit too much like WoW in every respect where questing is concerned and some tweaking needs to be done to remedy that.

I'm sorry you don't enjoy it as much as I do. I will disagree that there are no options if you get tired of a planet. You would, of course have to do only your class quests on a planet, which is usually pretty short if you're skipping everything else, and then you have Heroic quests you can do with friends, Flashpoints, Space missions, and PVP. I mean, these aren't revolutionary options, I'm not saying no other game has options, but there are options.

I also agree there could be some tweaking, improvements and tweaking is never a bad thing.

I find that when I play in shorter sessions the enjoyment level goes way up. Like anything, you'll get bored of something after an eight hour run without a break.

I'm not really talking all day sessions here, I'm busy right now and really can't devote much time to this game as I might have at a point in the past. Really my problem is with the lack of choice. I can't go to a different planet if I tire of one as I might of on LotRO or WoW or whichever game you care to name and that's something of a failing.

I'm sorry you don't enjoy it as much as I do. I will disagree that there are no options if you get tired of a planet. You would, of course have to do only your class quests on a planet, which is usually pretty short if you're skipping everything else, and then you have Heroic quests you can do with friends, Flashpoints, Space missions, and PVP. I mean, these aren't revolutionary options, I'm not saying no other game has options, but there are options.

I also agree there could be some tweaking, improvements and tweaking is never a bad thing.

My enjoyment of this game is most likely dampened by my experiences in the genre thus far, so I'm not surprised that my opinion isn't agreed upon. But PvP, space missions and flashpoints aren't really different leveling options (or not entirely) as they're not really as unique as having some whole other leveling path that you can take.

I have been doing those when I find a planet wearisome, but it's not ideal in my opinion.

Edited by Laranth

How have I barely played this game? Care to provide some insight into where you got this data about my playtime?

If you don't like the game, why are you paying to play it?

It's obvious.

What level are you again?

Laranth: I also think it's a shame it's so linear. I like being able to switch between questing areas. I didn't like Nar Shaddaa or Coruscant, for example, but I had to go through them anyway.

It's still the best questing I've seen in an MMO though. You're worried about the choices, and most MMOs don't even have that in quests. Add voice actors, companions and light/dark side and it's the best MMO questing I've seen.

Not the best questing ever. The best questing in an MMO. There's a difference there.

For the record, I do think the atmosphere in LotRO makes it a close second for me. Unfortunately I hated the free-to-play model they chose.

Edited by thecoffeecup

Apart from a fun main storyline all planet quests overall where a total pain in the *** and beyond horrible. They reminded me of the vanilla wow quests but this time with voiceovers to try to mask the fact that they were not fun and the same thing again Not once did I stop and think "oh this quest was fun". It was the same thing over and over and over again. But that's me I guess. Edited by Celleye

I might be tempted to agree that, despite all of the problems I've mentioned with the addition of many I neglected to, it's still probably one of the best leveling experiences you can have in an MMO. Most of the gripes I have with questing are issues that are perhaps overlapped with others - lack of responsiveness; empty landscapes; lack of MMO feeling; etc.

It feels a lot like an easier LotRO with better storytelling to me and I'm still undecided as to whether I prefer that to the WoW model or not.

Questing is very good, as well as quest writing.

Issue is, is this really working in SW ?

Let's give you an example. The evil sith lord on Drommund Kaas (I mean the Sith Lord that is eviler than superevil Darth Baras...Gratham, I think ?) There is good build up toward him.

Issue, he still die in 25 seconds. It's anything but a epic duel. Like, you know, the ones in KOTOR and KOTOR 2.

The quest writing is good. The quest design is traditionnal but good. The quest themselves are somewhat detached.

This is currently one of my biggest problems with the game. The stories build up to fights that don't live up to expectation, or in some cases even provide a challenge.

It's a disappointment to see the enemy you've been chasing across the galaxy end up being, at best, a "strong" mob, not even elite. There needs to be more challenge to these fights. You should fail once or twice, learn the strategy, and then succeed.

I have a level 42 Sith Warrior, lvl 32 Jedi Consular, lvl 22 Bounty Hunter.

Does that not qualify me for an opinion?

Your list of games you claim to have played have the same exact concept as this game.

OP is actually using the forum for what it's meant for. Feedback.

He likes the game as do over a million other people. Stop harassing him and go troll on a site where it's allowed. Not here.

As are the people that have genuine complaints about the game. But that doesn't stop the fanboys from trolling and flaming them because they don't agree with their opinion. I'm not saying that 2 wrongs makes a right, but other people are allowed to express their opinions too you know.

Your list of games you claim to have played have the same exact concept as this game.

Yes, they do, they have the same CONCEPTS, its the implementation of these concepts that makes me like SWTOR over those other games. Also, I like how you completely changed the subject. Can you at least agree that I haven't "barely played" this game?