The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Which is worse, free to play on full servers, or low subs with server merges?

Chiricahua

I predict that to maintain full servers SWTOR will have to go to a f2p model. Star Trek Online just went f2p, but that was too little to late. They sent me an email telling me I could login. I don't think so. Edited by Chiricahua

I predict that to maintain full servers SWTOR will have to go to a f2p model. Star Trek Online just went f2p, but that was too little to late. They sent me an email telling me I could login. I don't think so.

Star Trek Online was a failure from the beginning. This game is so much better it's not even in the same league. How you can think there's a comparison is beyond me.

Star Trek Online was a failure from the beginning. This game is so much better it's not even in the same league. How you can think there's a comparison is beyond me.

You playing the same end game everyone else is? Voice overs are not consider content, Operations are crap, lv50 Flashpoints are crap, Pvp is terrible. Overall game mechanics are terrible.

So ya i think the OP is correct unless they step up to the plate and start pumping out massive patchs to fix all the issues (the little ones they have been putting out are a utter joke)

Feels similar to Warhammer to me.

Big original IP behind it, massive lore potential, lots of promises. End up with a unoptimised engine, no high res textures, ability delay and no endgame content. Now Warhammer sold massively on release and look at it now.

So ya i think the OP is correct unless they step up to the plate and start pumping out massive patchs to fix all the issues (the little ones they have been putting out are a utter joke)

Have you bothered reading the upcoming patch notes? Some pretty big stuff in there.

I have no doubt the issues people are screaming about will be fixed, and they're already talking about new content, and it's only been two and a half weeks since launch.

I know people like to argue just for the sake of arguing, but really, what's the point in it? I mean, besides letting everyone know you're a big, mean, angry gamer? I don't get it.

You playing the same end game everyone else is? Voice overs are not consider content, Operations are crap, lv50 Flashpoints are crap, Pvp is terrible. Overall game mechanics are terrible.

I think story line (which includes the voice overs) is a very important piece of content. I am also having a lot of fun playing the game. Endgame is NOT where the "real" game is.

I think story line (which includes the voice overs) is a very important piece of content. I am also having a lot of fun playing the game. Endgame is NOT where the "real" game is.

While the leveling process in TOR is probably the most enjoyable out of any MMO I've played yet, and is jam-packed full of lovely voice-acting, it is not what will ultimately keep players subscribing to TOR. The only unique part between characters will be class story; otherwise, every planet will be exactly the same. People will get tired of leveling alts just to see different stories. Granted, there's always the option to roll the other faction, but ultimately you run into the same problem.

If you enjoy playing through planet and class stories, great! I do not mean to demean this at all, and I personally really am enjoying leveling so far, though I'm working on my first alt and not relishing running through the whole gambit of planets again. However, end-game is what keeps subscriptions. Call it what you will, it's the gear treadmill that keeps players p(l)aying.

You are right. I should've waited till January 19th.

You must not know how statistics and linear correlation work.

If you would like to predict the demise of an mmorpg, without extreme data (which we do not have at current) i would recommend you take a sample of active players now, a sample of active players in three months, and a sample of active players in six months. at this point, you will likely have enough data to test for a linear correlation between time and player base.

If a linear corelation exists you can test the time for less subs than is profitable by applying

y = m(x)+b

where y is variable 1, x is variable 2, M is the slope of the linear correlation, and B is the y intercept of the linear correlation on a graph.

the data to perform this calculation does not yet exist.

Edited by artilleryshell

Big original IP behind it, massive lore potential, lots of promises. End up with a unoptimised engine, no high res textures, ability delay and no endgame content. Now Warhammer sold massively on release and look at it now.

Yeah, look at it now.. Still payed sub and still a decent player base. In fact i was playing that, before this. And enjoying the hell out of it. =)

I really wish people would stop claiming there opnion as fact. It shows a very narrow minded attitude and quite frankly makes gamers as a hole look like whiny morans with nothing better to do than flame things regardless if they like them or not.

You sir have an opnion, congratulations your almost identicle to every other whiny brat there is on the internet.

Opinion does not = fact

Claiming bread is toast does not make you a genius

and running around screaming the sky is falling does not make you another nostradamus.

Dont get up, its ok i was just leaving to continue banging my head against the wall to make sense of why threads like these are even around...

While the leveling process in TOR is probably the most enjoyable out of any MMO I've played yet, and is jam-packed full of lovely voice-acting, it is not what will ultimately keep players subscribing to TOR. The only unique part between characters will be class story; otherwise, every planet will be exactly the same. People will get tired of leveling alts just to see different stories. Granted, there's always the option to roll the other faction, but ultimately you run into the same problem.

If you enjoy playing through planet and class stories, great! I do not mean to demean this at all, and I personally really am enjoying leveling so far, though I'm working on my first alt and not relishing running through the whole gambit of planets again. However, end-game is what keeps subscriptions. Call it what you will, it's the gear treadmill that keeps players p(l)aying.

I agree that there does need to be a good endgame but they have stated that they are working on more stuff in this regard already. Since the majority of the player base is not 50 yet they are right to keep working on other issues first.

Now that being said, I think it was the 1.1 patch notes that I read about new endgame stuff.

What he said.

If this game goes F2P I wont stay. I don't like F2P models at all. To me the game is a failure if it has to follow this route.

That's just me though and how I feel. If it introduces a whole new playerbase then good for SWTOR but I'll move on to the next thing :)

I am thoroughly enjoying my play experience even if places seem a tad quiet. I hope that this will be different at max level.

I agree that there does need to be a good endgame but they have stated that they are working on more stuff in this regard already. Since the majority of the player base is not 50 yet they are right to keep working on other issues first.

Now that being said, I think it was the 1.1 patch notes that I read about new endgame stuff.

Very true. I believe I read from a yellow the other day that the majority of players are in the <30 zones right now, and yes--there is new content coming with 1.1. New to us, anyway, as it seems it was intended for launch but wasn't quite ready. Still, new content is new content.

The biggest issue I see right now is that a lot of the end-game content is bugged all to hell, and this is bad--obviously because we want working content, but also because the people running it right now constitute what is probably one of the most vocal segments of MMO gamers: power gamers and MMO vets.

If they're having a bad time, they're going to tell people about it, and they're not likely to stick around too long if it looks like the issues plaguing the current end-game are not going to be addressed quickly. This could have a very detrimental impact on the game.

You deserve a gold star. You hit the arrow on the knee there.. I haven't hit 50 yet, but if there is a lack in content at that point there will be a drop in player population. The key to an MMO is not just to attract more players, but to KEEP the ones they have. If they are solely relying on their story driven leveling process and paying less attention to the end game, then this will hurt them in the long run. I am loving the game so far, so don't get me wrong. However, I can only level so many toons to 50...

None of that will happen.

Also there is Kung Fu Panda the MMO is waiting for you. No worries...

I still don't understand why everyone keeps saying "Go back to wow." This game has NOTHING to do with wow... It goes in a completely different direction. Whether or not this game is successful has nothing to do with wow. I'm pretty sure this is just something the "Fanboys" say when they don't have any other argument. Like I said in my previous post, I am loving this game. But I am not so blinded by the aura of Star Wars to overlook a flaw. I have not experienced end game content yet ( I am only level 38), but if it is lacking and they do not expand on it then the game will take a hit in player population. I am pretty confident that once more people start reaching level 50 and start speaking out more, they will start to release a lot more content.

I still don't understand why everyone keeps saying "Go back to wow." This game has NOTHING to do with wow... It goes in a completely different direction. Whether or not this game is successful has nothing to do with wow. I'm pretty sure this is just something the "Fanboys" say when they don't have any other argument. Like I said in my previous post, I am loving this game. But I am not so blinded by the aura of Star Wars to overlook a flaw. I have not experienced end game content yet ( I am only level 38), but if it is lacking and they do not expand on it then the game will take a hit in player population. I am pretty confident that once more people start reaching level 50 and start speaking out more, they will start to release a lot more content.

Most of these people speaking out currently don't sound like MMO vets. They sound like whiney punks that powerleveled their way to 50 and expect to magically find the same amount of content that other MMO's have accumulated over the course of years upon years of patching and expansion.

It simply doesn't happen that way.

What you are seeing and getting is perfectly normal, actaully above average content and polish for a release state MMORPG.

Anyone who somehow doesn't comprehend that clearly hasn't played an MMO at release before.

I'm so sick of people that think they have a bleeping clue comparing release date MMORPG's to ones from their memories of when they picked them up after the first or second expansion.

Being there from the beginning has a price. Power levelling through the majority of low-level and mid-game content has a price.

Deal with it. Your paying the price.

Unless your nothing more then an insecure punk just waiting to flaunt his Saber of Doom ++=+++++ E-peen and thinking there isn't enough content for you to establish yourself as an alpha superior, there's tons of stuff to enjoy.

The journey is often the best part. If you let it be.

Edited by Oogtug

You deserve a gold star. You hit the arrow on the knee there.

I have to give you props. You actually managed to make that amusing, and I thought it was completely sucked dry of any comedic value weeks ago.

Edited by imtrick