Massacre... A big Developer Screw up? (DEVS PLEASE READ/POST)

Spankyjnco

Ok... Hear me out.

When you go the middle skill path, you end up getting the ability Massacre. It is the exact same cost and damage as Vicious slash, only it helps your proc in the Ataru Form. If you follow any of that pathway that has an effect on the ability Vicious Slash it also includes Massacre. If you look at your Berserk Ability, it shows it turns Vicious Slash AND Massacre from 3 to 2 Rage points. Also every other tree, anything dealing with Vicious Slash applies directly to Massacre.

That being said.. Why Is it that Massacre does not go up in ability levels at the same time as Vicious Slash? When you first get Massacre the damage is Identical.. yet as you level and get your next 2 rank Vicious Slash ability, Massacre stays the same, which makes it useless to use leave in the position of vicious slash.

When I got massacre, I realized that it was just an upgraded form of Vicious Slash. The only "special" part is that it helps your proc. Every other tree gets an ability that is indipendant, but this one was it's own upgrade if you will.

Now that I am 50 and my Vicious Slash does 960 - 1165, while Massacre is still sitting at what it was at level 41 807-966.

I am requesting a developer to PLEASE look into this. It should scale exactly with vicious slash. Maxxing the middle path should be allowing us to replace Vicious Slash with Massacre. Maybe they haven't figured out to allow the skill trainer to allow you to upgrade the ability ONLY IF you went that path or something, but this needs to be fixxed.

If a dev would post here with more information, that would be great. Please fellow marauders... keep this topic UP.

It ends up doing more than Vicious Slash.

The base weapon damage does less, however the increases to damage, crit chance, and crit damage to the instant Ataru proc make it pull ahead.

Making the base damage the same as Vicious Slash's would defeat the purpose of the talent.

Edited by Kibaken

That Massacre does less damage on its own is totally irrelevant. It always procs Ataru Strike, which immediately evens out the damage on a non-crit. When either crit, they crit for 30% harder than Vicious Slash otherwise would. In addition Massacre increases the chance of all of your other attacks to proc an Ataru Strike... including itself, meaning that on every Massacre you have a 50% chance to double Ataru Strike. That guaranteed Ataru Strike in turn guarantees an automatic critical on Force Scream, on top of proccing 10% harder hits from your rage spenders.

I wouldn't mind if Massacre's primary attack hit as hard as Vicious Strike, but considering it starts clearly better and emerges still better by far, as in you'd have to be completely retarded not to use it... I can't see the justification.

Massacre can proc ataru strikes twice.

If you think it does less damage than vicious slash, I worry for you.

And considering that it greatly increases the uptime of Execute, makes it even better.

Edited by Sayc

The other thing that massacre does, that you might be overlooking in your dps rotation, is give you a 100% crit chance on force scream. Massacre (unlike the other two trees) is a self buffing attack, rather than a dmg dealer. The dmg it deals is only a bonus to the gcd cost it takes to make other more important attacks deal more dmg.

Carnage is a very tricky build if you dont understand it fully, it took me about a week at lvl 50 to iron it out and get comfortable with my ability rotation, which massacre is only used after I use force scream (to que up another 100% crit when force scream is available again). I DO use viscous slash on rage dump phases (when I pop beserk an I'm at 10+ stacks of rage)

In short, massacre is a waste if you want to use it as a spammable dmg dealer.

The other thing that massacre does, that you might be overlooking in your dps rotation, is give you a 100% crit chance on force scream. Massacre (unlike the other two trees) is a self buffing attack, rather than a dmg dealer. The dmg it deals is only a bonus to the gcd cost it takes to make other more important attacks deal more dmg.

Carnage is a very tricky build if you dont understand it fully, it took me about a week at lvl 50 to iron it out and get comfortable with my ability rotation, which massacre is only used after I use force scream (to que up another 100% crit when force scream is available again). I DO use viscous slash on rage dump phases (when I pop beserk an I'm at 10+ stacks of rage)

In short, massacre is a waste if you want to use it as a spammable dmg dealer.

It actually out-damages Vicious Slash due to Ataru Mastery and Sever; I would just spam Massacre on rage-dump phases.

I consider it more of a spammable damage dealer that just happens to automatically grant us Blood Frenzy.

If Blood Frenzy is about to run off just trade off Assault/Massacre until your next Massacre refreshes it then go into your Gore, Scream, and Ravage.

I'll have to keep testing the two rotations then, cause with my stats and surge rating, vicious slash is hitting HARD (3-5k per gcd), but I'll have to go thru some fraps footage an count up the numbers an compare time stamps. I'll do that on our next EV raid, I'll do a couple rotations one way, then a couple your way an compare the results :)

Eventually we'll get this class figured out be able to bring the devs some real solid evidance on what needs tweaking an what doesnt, lol