False and misleading advertising. Time for class action?

DarkWyndre

So,

If you look in the "Media" menu at the top of the page and then click screenshots, you will see that all of the screenshots (which is how Bioware and EA represent the game's level of detail/look/presentation) feature the high resolution textures which players cannot currently activate.

Furthermore, the next patch claims to have fixed this problem, but what they have really done is simply re-named the current medium quality textures to "high", removed the "medium" option and left the current low res textures as they are. They claim this actually is unlocking the high resolution textures for us, but they are lying.

They are misrepresenting the visual quality of their product in their advertising on this very website, while lying to us in an attempt to get us to subscribe to the game under the assumption that these high resolution textures are actually going to be present and available to us in the patch coming "Soon™", which I guarantee is going to come after the 20th.

There's really no nice way to put it. They are misrepresenting their product in advertising. They are lying in the propaganda about what's coming in the next patch, and they refuse to answer their customers.

So I think it's time to demand an answer. My subscription to this game will be permanently lost if this is not answered. Furthermore, if this post mysteriously disappears, I will simply file complaints with the FTC and my state's attorney for product misrepresentation (The company represented one product to me while actually delivering a lesser product, commonly referred to as a "bait and switch").

Maybe someone knows a lawyer who wants to make a name for himself by filing a class action?

Or maybe a Bioware rep will come onto the forums and be honest with us and explain why the advertised graphics have been taken away from us and why devs lie to us in the very few instances in which they have even addressed the issue.

I won't be holding my breath though.

Or maybe a Bioware rep will come onto the forums and be honest with us and explain why the advertised graphics have been taken away from us and why devs lie to us in the very few instances in which they have even addressed the issue.

Actually, the "BioWare rep" is just going to come and close this thread like they have to dozens of other negative threads in the past few hours as they try to squelch negativity.

Edited by morbidillusion

LOL.. wow...

Go ahead and sue man... good luck with that.

Give ya a hint, not a chance in hell you'll win.

If you advertise a product as one thing, and you deliver a lesser thing, that is illegal. Whether a lawyer would take on EA's legal team over it is an entirely different question.

But I don't need to file a suit to cause EA/Bioware trouble. I can file a complaint with the FTC and my state AG and file a complaint with the BBB. I purchased this product based upon the screenshots and videos which EA/Bioware released, which all clearly contain high resolution textures which are not actually available to me to play with.

Oh and OP,

Learn to read the TOS/EULA that you clicked Accept to before being able to play, because I guarantee there is something in there that will stop your 'class action lol-suit' in its tracks, causing you to just be stuck with the lawyer bill.

So,

If you look in the "Media" menu at the top of the page and then click screenshots, you will see that all of the screenshots (which is how Bioware and EA represent the game's level of detail/look/presentation) feature the high resolution textures which players cannot currently activate.

Furthermore, the next patch claims to have fixed this problem, but what they have really done is simply re-named the current medium quality textures to "high", removed the "medium" option and left the current low res textures as they are. They claim this actually is unlocking the high resolution textures for us, but they are lying.

They are misrepresenting the visual quality of their product in their advertising on this very website, while lying to us in an attempt to get us to subscribe to the game under the assumption that these high resolution textures are actually going to be present and available to us in the patch coming "Soon™", which I guarantee is going to come after the 20th.

There's really no nice way to put it. They are misrepresenting their product in advertising. They are lying in the propaganda about what's coming in the next patch, and they refuse to answer their customers.

So I think it's time to demand an answer. My subscription to this game will be permanently lost if this is not answered. Furthermore, if this post mysteriously disappears, I will simply file complaints with the FTC and my state's attorney for product misrepresentation (The company represented one product to me while actually delivering a lesser product, commonly referred to as a "bait and switch").

Maybe someone knows a lawyer who wants to make a name for himself by filing a class action?

Gotta be a troll bait post. No thinking human being is this thick. At least I hope so or we'd better seriousl consider sterilization.

I doubt the OP's pos computer can handle the high-res graphics anyways. Sweet sweet justice. :)

I dunno either, since they're not available to us. I would suspect; however, that my computer should do just fine. Core i7 clocked at 4.2 Ghz, 8 gigs ram, GTX 580 video card ... seems like the sort of rig that ought to be able to handle pretty much anything out at the moment. Handles BF3 with everything maxxed out without breaking a sweat.

Sweet, sweet something. Certainly not justice.

If you advertise a product as one thing, and you deliver a lesser thing, that is illegal. Whether a lawyer would take on EA's legal team over it is an entirely different question.

But I don't need to file a suit to cause EA/Bioware trouble. I can file a complaint with the FTC and my state AG and file a complaint with the BBB. I purchased this product based upon the screenshots and videos which EA/Bioware released, which all clearly contain high resolution textures which are not actually available to me to play with.

So you purchased a game with screenshots from the beta phase right? Yeah you got no shot even with the FTC, the BBB, or anywhere else. Your state AG if he's halfway competent will laugh you out of his office.

Oh and OP,

Learn to read the TOS/EULA that you clicked Accept to before being able to play, because I guarantee there is something in there that will stop your 'class action lol-suit' in its tracks, causing you to just be stuck with the lawyer bill.

EULA's don't hold up in court. Time and again the precedent has been that they don't hold up. The problem is finding the lawyer who is both good enough to beat EA's legal team and willing to take the case. An unlikely prospect.

But a few hundred, or a few thousand complaints to the BBB, and the FTC on what is clearly false advertising should create a bit of a mess which may just motivate action.

Clearly actually providing us with the product which was advertised doesn't seem to be on the agenda at the moment. Customers have two avenues in such cases. Talk with their wallets, and talk with their time (filing complaints with consumer protection agencies).