Why Didn't Bioware Innovate Anything in SW:TOR - ESPECIALLY in the End-game?

Xugos

Problem is people want something new and refreshing. Aion, WoW, Rift, all those games follows the same formula and people are rather sick of it.

And people are frustrated because they expected at least a little innovation from SW:TOR and all they got was a copy/paste generic mmo with a poorly optimized engine wrapped in class-story (which range from rather cheesy to quite good) and a voiceover-gimmick.

I already posted five things (off the top of my head) in which this MMO DID innovate. That challenge has already been won, and the OP lost. You may want to follow the example and "innovate", finding something new to complain about, because this argument of yours has already been demolished.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it actually does not. Low population, struggling economy, not so loyal citizens (who happen to be starving at the moment), and every country views them as somewhat of a blight on humanity, outdated military technology, highly susceptible to natural disasters, still communist. It has about the lowest amount of potential of any country in the world, but okay ya it has potential.

This game does have a LOT of potential, it just has to overcome the lack of endgame content in my opinion.

You are absolutely wrong. China had a struggling economy, not so loyal citizens (disunified), and a bad reputation in the early 1900s, but Kuomintang, eventually conceding to Mao Zedong, allowed Mao to unify the country, although using brutal methods, and creating the China of today.

Everything has potential. To applaud SW:TOR for having "potential" is like to applaud a dog for being born with 4 legs.

I already posted five things (off the top of my head) in which this MMO DID innovate. That challenge has already been won, and the OP lost. You may want to follow the example and "innovate", finding something new to complain about, because this argument of yours has already been demolished.

5 things? What 5 things?

Please enlighten me to these innovations, since this crappy forum don't have any search-feature.

Please enlighten me to these innovations, since this crappy forum don't have any search-feature.

5 things? What 5 things?

It's earlier in this same thread. May want to go back and read it. Sorry if it makes you mad. I really don't mean to. You must be having enough of a miserable day considering that you're resorting to post on a forum of a game you obviously don't like instead of playing one you like. :rolleyes:

Edited by Abriael

eh, Sorry, that's my bad. I talked about "lighting design" thinking someone would actually understand a slightly technical term here.

But seeing how some people here know absolutely nothing about game development, I shouldn't have.

Lighting design = the way light comes through the trees. How light sources cast their light on objects. How shine and different brightness of light are viewed on objects.

Day/night cycle = Aesthetics. A nice addition to add some atmosphere. Nothing more. Unless a game included different creatures coming out at night. Then it would also be a part of the gameplay.

Bioware does not innovate as much as it could because it is new to the MMO field. Does anyone here actually think WoW was groundbreaking when it launched? No, it had a couple good features that were somewhat new, but nothing groundbreaking.

Leveling up by doing quests alone was pretty groundbreaking to me. But as time has passed, I'm now totally bored of doing quests in MMOs. I find SWTOR's class quests interesting, but doing all the side quests is a chore.

It's earlier in this same thread. May want to go back and read it. Sorry if it makes you mad. I really don't mean to. You must be having enough of a miserable day considering that you're resorting to post on a forum of a game you obviously don't like instead of playing one you like. :rolleyes:

[quote=Abriael;1328225

Quests with choices, crafting, companions, full voice acting (no matter what you think of it, it IS an innovation. Innovations don't need to be mechanical in order to be innovative), moddable gear.

Quests with choices? If you mean Dark Side/Light Side ... It ends at level 50 as epic Rakata trinkets + your Matrix cube have no alignment choice.

Crafting? WoW has crafting. Plus, crafting in SWTOR is pointless as Biochem > everything.

Companions? Everything is a pet class. Useless at level 50 too.

Full voice acting? Adds nothing to end game and/or gameplay. Minor aesthetic addition.

Moddable gear? With the lack of enchants/gemming etc, which WoW has had for many years. Moddable gear is useless at level 50 as well.

I'm not mad at all. But you are mad because someone don't like your new shiny toy so you have to constantly defend it with snidy comments and poor excuses.

Oh boohoo...:rolleyes:

1. Nearly complete quest voice over chat (Except for missions boxes)
  2. A Unique story line for each "basic" classes
  3. Side quests with 2, 2+ and 4 players
  4. Companions to help you in a fight
  5. Mini games, as in Space Combat
  6. Relationship with your Companions
  7. And we got glowsticks, don't think i need to add much more than this :-)

Hell if you don't like the game, go back to your Tetris....!

Edited by nitan

You know what, STOP RIGHT THERE. I need you to stop. I'm not one to attack someone personally and you can report me if you want. You are being stupid about WoW's lore. The greatest story ever told in MMORPG history is warcraft. Go read the book on thrall's story. I don't like to read but the game made me actually want to read. I read his story and it was amazing. What illidan did and how the world fell apart. Man you are nuts.

Let me stop you right there, I also don't like to attack people personally but if you think WoW's lore is the greatest story ever told in an MMO there is something wrong with you. It's not even decent and I say this as somebody who has played the series since the original Warcraft Orcs vs Humans. The "lore" is a mess of retcons and flimsy excuses to fight somebody so you can get loot. I could forgive a lot but what finally made me say enough is the fact that almost every third boss seems to be somebody who should be on your side but has either gone crazy or is being controlled, it's just lazy writing. Twenty bucks says the next expansion has you fighting Thrall after he too goes crazy.

I loved those old games I actually used to enjoy following the lore and I defended the game as long as I could but it's clear that Blizzard has run out of ideas and is basically shoving out whatever they can think of to keep the game making them money.

I don't want to make this a personal thing so let me just close by saying if you enjoy WoW's story I'm glad somebody does. I don't have any anger towards the game and I enjoyed my time playing but I'm done with it.

WoW didnt innovate anything. I wish these kids who havent played any MMOs before WoW would stop making threads.

By the time WoW did invent some stuff..

But at the very launch, it was just a compiled copy from other games yes...

Just 1 question for you die hard fans of swtor. Every time you see someone complaining here you tell him if you don't like it then why are you here? go find something you like. Well, IF YOU FRICKING LIKE THE GAME THEN WHY ARE YOU ON HERE TALKING ABOUT HOW IT IS RUINED AND THIS IS BETTER? GO PLAY YOUR FRICKING GAME WE DONT WANT YOUR MEANINGLESS POSTS HERE. Caps lock caps lock !!1!one!1

You are absolutely wrong. China had a struggling economy, not so loyal citizens (disunified), and a bad reputation in the early 1900s, but Kuomintang, eventually conceding to Mao Zedong, allowed Mao to unify the country, although using brutal methods, and creating the China of today.

Everything has potential. To applaud SW:TOR for having "potential" is like to applaud a dog for being born with 4 legs.

And China has about a billion people? Oh sorry, about 1.3 billion people IIRC. There are some limitations that cannot be overcome. North Korea has 25 million IIRC. So, now tell me, do you think it could ever become a world power? China's strength lies in it's population, and it's government being the internet's version of a hacker or a cheater.

TOR has quite a bit of potential, more so than most MMOs, and that is not at all like applauding a dog for having 4 legs. Furthermore, the original person said "a lot of potential" not "some potential" or just "potential". TOR has above average amounts of potential, it's like praising a boy for having the IQ of 170, he's got more potential than most anybody, but he has to gain knowledge before can realize that potential.

TOR has arguably one of the funnest leveling processes in any game ever (a lot would say the funnest), it's got remarkable amounts of content for an already launched game, the devs have been responding to issues VERY rapidly (PvP, ability delay etc.).

1. Nearly complete quest voice over chat (Except for missions boxes)
  2. A Unique story line for each "basic" classes
  3. Side quests with 2, 2+ and 4 players
  4. Companions to help you in a fight
  5. Mini games, as in Space Combat
  6. Relationship with your Companions
  7. And we got glowsticks, don't think i need to add much more than this :-)

Hell if you don't like the game, go back to your Tetris....!

1) Been done in multiple single player games.

2) Benediction? Multiple other level 60 class quests; Shaman, Paladin, Warlock, Hunter

3) Group quests have existed for a long time.

4) Pets

5) Space Combat = Bombing/Vehicle missions in WoW

6) Adds nothing to gameplay. Aestethics.

7) Glowsticks exist in WoW.

Ahem I am a dedicated wow player who also plays SWTOR if anybody is interested (I won't post the link here) just research sticky thread wow forums regarding patch 4.3 Hour of Twilight issues and bugs. Then let us debate with OP about quality, bugs and the like. I for one experienced many of the bugs in the new dungeons released. I mean lets all be fair here people are saying this game is flawed, bugged etc etc etc ( and there are bugs and flaws like any game) there are 2 sides to a story. Read about how polished patch 4.3 was.

By the time WoW did invent some stuff..

But at the very launch, it was just a compiled copy from other games yes...

So, they added a couple innovative stuff over a 7 year time span?

Yeah, Blizzard is good.

I really don't see why people use this as some type of point. 350k concurrent players for the number of box sales they claimed is about right.

It amazes me that people do not know what concurrent means.

Hmm i thought Swtor sold over 1.5m pre order's and now they say only 350k concurrent subs was wondering why the server went from 25min q to nothing the past week guess the hype is over or Bw upped server caps

WoW didnt innovate anything. I wish these kids who havent played any MMOs before WoW would stop making threads.

Have you? Before WoW you gained levels by camping a single spot for hours. After WoW you gained levels by questing. That's innovative.

So, they added a couple innovative stuff over a 7 year time span?

Yeah, Blizzard is good.

Battle.net 2.0,

BattleTag systems,

Dual specs,

LFR accessibility,

Game time cards,

Customisation in the form of transmogification,

Cross-realm BGs/Dungeons

Cross-realm Raids/Rated BGs

Cross-realm Arenas.

I'm not mad at all. But you are mad because someone don't like your new shiny toy so you have to constantly defend it with snidy comments and poor excuses.

I'm actually amused. At least I'm in a forum of a game I like, instead of trolling the forum of a game I hate :D

Quests with choices? If you mean Dark Side/Light Side ... It ends at level 50 as epic Rakata trinkets + your Matrix cube have no alignment choice.

They are choice. The quest changes depending on the choice. You can decide if people live or die. Whether you like it or not, it's an innovation. Live with it.

Crafting? WoW has crafting. Plus, crafting in SWTOR is pointless as Biochem > everything.

It has crafting, but not crafting like this. SWTOR is the first game to implement crafting by proxy while the player can continue to enjoy the game, instead of having to stop playing to grind a craft like in every other MMORPG. Whether you like it or not, it's an innovation. Live with it.

Companions? Everything is a pet class. Useless at level 50 too.

Companions don't behave like pets in other MMORPGs, and have plenty features that pets lack. Including a personality, dialogue, romance, choices. Whether you like it or not, it's an innovation. Live with it.

Full voice acting? Adds nothing to end game and/or gameplay. Minor aesthetic addition.

It adds a LOT to the game and to the storytelling. Voice acting allows for storytelling that simply isn't possible with written dialogue. There are plenty lines that wouldn't make the slightest sense if they were just written. Example: The Gree droids.

Whether you like it or not, it's an innovation. Live with it.

Moddable gear? With the lack of enchants/gemming etc, which WoW has had for many years. Moddable gear is useless at level 50 as well.

Wrong. Enchants and gemming doesn't allow you to determine the WHOLE stats of an item, including it's base stats. You take an item, and slightly modify it with enchants and gemming. With mods in SWTOR you determine it's entire stat field.

Whether you like it or not, it's an innovation. Live with it.

The question of the thread has been responded. This game does bring innovation to the table (more than WoW ever brought actually, considering that wow innovated almost nothing, but just iterated concepts borrowed from previous games, every single one of them).

It's laughable that the ones saying that this game doesn't bring innovation are the ones cheering their eyes out for wow, which is well known as the MMORPG that innovated the genre *less* in it's whole history.

Whether you like it or not, it's innovation. Live with it.

Edited by Abriael