Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

seatown

I didn't read the whole post, just the Idea that was presented in the beginning, but from what I read, I would have to agree that this would be a good start to improving space combat.

The ability to have full control over your ship, even in a small area would be cool even if it was just the ability to travel from space station to space station or planet to planet, Or even just able to freely fly around in a small area around the fleets and dock in the various flashpoint/ops ships instead of taking the taxi system would be really cool. And in small area's around planets.

PVP space battle in the orbit of Ilum anyone?

I would much prefer a full on space sim like SWG had, but I understand that would be a huge undertaking and would probably take a couple more years to get it done right so I don't expect it any time soon if at all.

Edited by btsager

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen to us! I know you're reading this. ;)

Give us a tease.

Tell us if we have have all axis control of our ships in your secrete project for space.

Something.

Please.

:(

If you think any bioware employees other than the forum moderators are reading this then your optimism is greater than mine.

If you think any bioware employees other than the forum moderators are reading this then your optimism is greater than mine.

I have no doubt they read this from time to time.

I just don't know why they won't respond.

I have no doubt they read this from time to time.

I just don't know why they won't respond.

There are a number of possibilities.

1. They aren't that bothered about the customers who are asking for info.

2. They are bothered, but are too lazy to say anything.

3. They are bothered, but want to keep it a secret.

4. They are bothered, but don't have a clue what to do with space.

There's more possibilities. Only they know why. Not good really. If they gave out info saying they're giving us open space I would resub, safe in the knowledge it's coming. No info atm, so no sub.

Edited by utio

Btw anyone remember rogue squadron? Yes it was mainly an air combat game but it had some space missions too.

It was great, fun, and simple.

The basic idea was this: you had some in and out missions, or stuff was going on and you had to do things in a limited time.

It's very appliable to SWTOR.

I bet that at some point the devs had in mind that to go from on planet to another there was a chance you might have to engage in space combat, in order to land. So you couldnt let your ship be ****** all the way to 50. But I am sure that they figured this would cause massive QQing so they dumbed it down, as they did for PvE. Edited by Drunkenpig

Don't get me wrong.. As much as I enjoy 3-axis space fighting like I did in "Elite".. I have a gentle liking to this tunnel flying as well.... BUT.. I just wish the variety was a little wider.. Taking a lower level tunnel and "BEEFING" up the objectives isn't what I enjoy.. It's still the same asteroid belt with the same ships.. etc etc.. Anyways, I'm hoping that one day we'll have more unique tunnels to fly, then just rebeefing easier ones..

Btw anyone remember rogue squadron? Yes it was mainly an air combat game but it had some space missions too.

It was great, fun, and simple.

The basic idea was this: you had some in and out missions, or stuff was going on and you had to do things in a limited time.

It's very appliable to SWTOR.

Yeah, I played that on gamecube. Was fun, but if I remember rightly, there were time limits? Which I would not like to see in this game.

I want free flying space, a choice of ships, different loadouts, crafted and looted parts, droid commands, pvp, space stations you can attack, stations you can dock with, capital ships you can do the same with, multi person ships(gunboats?), atmospheric flight, customisable ships, pilot suits, titles, to be able to name my ship. The works really. Come on bioware, show us you're capable of giving a star wars mmo proper space.

Edited by utio

"The short answer is that I know the feeling you're describing, where you're effectively being pushed down a tunnel of content and you feel like there is no 'there' there beyond the content necessary to finish your quest. Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ doesn't feel like that - in terms of world navigation, TOR is much closer to the wide open feel of a classic MMO." (answering concerns of linear ground planet play)

Damion Schubert

Principal Lead Systems Designer

I honestly have no idea how he kept a straight face while saying that lol. Star Wars definitely has some fun factor, I'm not saying it's a bad game but a "wide open feel classic MMO" it is not. In fact that couldn't be farther from the truth. In fact that's just a flat out lie lol. I don't know what TOR he was talking about when he made that statement but if he actually meant this one somebody should call the white coats on that guy.

So as to not detrail the thread, yeah I'm not a big fan of the space combat in a tube idea. It's ok as a little mini game but I don't think the current mini game is performing to it's potential either. I experience alot of bad targetting and disappearing cursor issues.

Edited by Criosdh

Once i realized what the space combat was I actually never went back to it. The entirety of the space combat missions consists of a total of THREE different missions that as you gain levels they just keep retuning to be a little harder each time.

It's lazy is what it is and IMO shows that the Dev's cared not for what the space combat was or if people would use it or not. I play them with one hand on the mouse and a drink in the other while kicked back in the chair half watching the TV....all of them are insanely easy and if you do them while your leveling you practically have them memorized by 50.

I give the space combat 4 thumbs down.

So *** is the deal with this ********* space combat anyway? It says to use missiles on a target but missiles won't lock. I use my torpedoes but one of them just disappears failing the god damn mission.

Are their upgrades past level 5? Because the space missions are practically mfing impossible for me at this point. I simply can't do enough damage with missiles or blasters to destroy all the targets on the screen before they dissappear. Like firing everything I've got with no regard for my own safety and **** still gets away. All my upgrades are lvl 5 purple except the one that I've never seen a purple upgrade for. And of course the ones that can only be found at the starship merchant.

I mean ***?

Edited by Criosdh

So *** is the deal with this ********* space combat anyway? It says to use missiles on a target but missiles won't lock. I use my torpedoes but one of them just disappears failing the gosh darn mission.

Are their upgrades past level 5? Because the space missions are practically mfing impossible for me at this point. I simply can't do enough damage with missiles or blasters to destroy all the targets on the screen before they dissappear. Like firing everything I've got with no regard for my own safety and **** still gets away. All my upgrades are lvl 5 purple except the one that I've never seen a purple upgrade for. And of course the ones that can only be found at the starship merchant.

I mean ***?

I don't think they seriously expected anyone to play them to level 5.

You are probably walking on virgin ground buddy :)

Don't get me wrong.. As much as I enjoy 3-axis space fighting like I did in "Elite".. I have a gentle liking to this tunnel flying as well.... BUT.. I just wish the variety was a little wider.. Taking a lower level tunnel and "BEEFING" up the objectives isn't what I enjoy.. It's still the same asteroid belt with the same ships.. etc etc.. Anyways, I'm hoping that one day we'll have more unique tunnels to fly, then just rebeefing easier ones..

There only seems to be about 6 mission, they rest are just cut down versions or copy/paste to the other side.

hehe, nice! Doubt BiowEAr envisioned their major feature reveal that was announed at E3 to become nothing more than a punchline.

When you introduce a flash quality minigame for space in the Star Wars IP ( which the Xwing style games made up a bulk of the IP's sales of computer games ) of course you're going to be a punchline.

Still no news on the direction Space Combat is going?

I know BW is focusing on 1.2, but maybe drop us a line or two?

A couple more missions in the next 6 months.

I wouldn't expect any more than that, and maybe not even that. That's just how it seems to be. :(