Was this staggered launch all for nothing? Roll on dec 20th.

SinisterWarlock

So far they've let very few people in, there's a lot more to come. You have to wonder, why did they let so few people in? It doesn't make sense, unless of course they know their servers won't handle everyone, and then it does make sense.

20th december there's going to be a surge in players, because they won't be able to block players from the game anymore, and the servers might not handle it: there may be server crashes and epic queues.

If that is the case, this staggered release would have achieved no benefits, its only success was to anger many customers. If the server queues and crashes come anyway, that's exactly what's going to happen.

The best idea would have been to let all preorders in on the 13th, that gives them exactly 1 week to deal with server issues and get the game running as smoothly as possible before the 20th december release date. It would have upset a lot less people if there were queues to some servers but everyone has game access, rather than this one giant queue that is ongoing right now, while the "elite" few have access.

Edited by SinisterWarlock

This is exact same thing I have been trying to tell people, but they blindly ignore it and write me of as a whiner.

20th is gonna hit wether bioware likes it or not, so in the end we will get a EGA system people are unhappy with, and at the same time we will get the very queues/crashes they supposedly tried to avoid.

Edited by Munx

So far they've let very few people in, there's a lot more to come. You have to wonder, why did they let so few people in? It doesn't make sense, unless of course they know their servers won't handle everyone, and then it does make sense.

20th december there's going to be a surge in players, because they won't be able to block players from the game anymore, and the servers might not handle it: there may be server crashes and epic queues.

If that is the case, this staggered release would have achieved no benefits, its only success was to anger many customers. If the server queues and crashes come anyway, that's exactly what's going to happen.

Yea man im baffled as well as to how trickling people in is going to save them from the inevitable on the 20th.. I think they assume people will get to play for a little so they will accept the long queues are server outtages easier lol. But in reality they are solving no problems, hell they could just stress the servers and let everyone in today just to test it out and see how the servers hold up, atleast people could create a char name at the very least haha.

Forget the 20th, this staggered approach will prove useless on the 17th. The servers are going to be packed anyway and there will be queue times. This is a point I've made as well and it seems to go completely ignored by the people that are so rabidly defending it as a good plan.

The way they're going about this is just serving to drum up passions and it's making this forum even more of a cesspool than it was before the wipe.

The OP is right.

As long as they can with the wave system of the EGA, prevent lag or queues on servers, they wont be able to do anything after the 20th, people will join the game and that's all. It's something they cant control anymore. Maybe they think that the flux of the new players post dec 20th will be lower than the one of the EGA?! Real question, I dont know.

Yea man im baffled as well as to how trickling people in is going to save them from the inevitable on the 20th.. I think they assume people will get to play for a little so they will accept the long queues are server outtages easier lol. But in reality they are solving no problems, hell they could just stress the servers and let everyone in today just to test it out and see how the servers hold up, atleast people could create a char name at the very least haha.

Seems they would want to test servers to see if they can handle the 20th?

By that time they will have the servers stable

In their defense, they announced that they would be letting people on early the 15th. We instead got the 13th, and what has this resulted in? A massive wave of whining.

It's not unfair that some come in earlier than other and you know why? Because they told us that from the very beginning, it wasn't some hidden fact.

I agree with the op. Below is a post I made some hours ago about it...

Hello everybody,

I'm one the people waiting their turn in the line for early access. I don't want to judge or discuss BioWare decision to manage the start of the game, it's their platform, they are contractually sound and they want to play it safe.

What bothers me is that they are playing it safe with an influx of subscribers of which they know pretty much everything they need to make a plan: size, location (hence game time) and even possible server allocation due to guild affiliation.

The plan they are making will slowly fill the servers to make sure that there are no hiccup/queue/crashes this first days of early access....but my question is:

What will happen on the 20th when an unknown number of subscriber will hit the gates?

Won't they risk to have the same kind of issues they are trying to prevent during early access? This considerations lead me to the following:

a) they are a lot less secure about their capacity to keep up with the load and are still measuring the response of their servers

b) they are trying to prevent bad advertisement from people getting burned by server not working at early access causing lower sales at launch.

I don't blame them but their strategy is not solving anything in my opinion.

I should get in today but even for people who got in yesterday the whole thing has been rather frustrating. I don't see why they couldn't give us some numbers rather than upsetting people, leaving them refreshing thier email accounts every 5 seconds.

The best way to have done that would be to get all preorders in on the 13th and that gives them 7 days to solve issues and have the game running as smooth as possible before the 20th december official launch date.

The issues they deal with during trickle in are not the same issues they have to deal with when flood gate opens....which is soon.

What make you think there will be a surge ?

Most of people intrested in this MMO did pre-order it, so they will get befor 20th.

There won't be many more at launch.

In their defense, they announced that they would be letting people on early the 15th. We instead got the 13th, and what has this resulted in? A massive wave of whining.

It's not unfair that some come in earlier than other and you know why? Because they told us that from the very beginning, it wasn't some hidden fact.

I have no problem with people getting in before me. It was when they stopped getting people into the game and it wasn't even 2 o'clock that I took issue with. They said they were doing a staggered early access true, but they didn't say they were going to stop abruptly in the middle of the day or that they'd let so few people in at a time.

They also didn't mention that to them early access wasn't about getting as many people in as possible until yesterday (13th) which as quite a revelation to me. At some level it really should be about getting people in so they can move this process along. After the way the Thanksgiving beta went it's clear they could have handled way more people but they chose not to for some reason.

I still think it's ultimately a pointless venture though since all it's accomplishing is a riled fanbase and putting the problem off until this weekend.

Edited by Marcato

this staggered (controled launch) has failed, no if's or buts about it.

EPIC FAIL....................

...but it hasn't. You were told you'd get up to 5 days, and we're not even in that time period yet. Complain less, pay attention more.

Guess the main thing I don't understand is they let 750K players in during beta over a 3 day span. Right now their letting 900K in over a 6 day span. Their servers are clearly capable and I had no issues in beta, after collecting the data from such beta than the servers could of only improved. It's not a matter of too many people in X zone because it's instanced.

I'm confused.

how the hell do you figure? I want to play the game JUST AS BAD as the next guy/girl here, but you don't see me ************ and whining. I pre-ordered late, and I think its a privilege to be able to play before the actual launch date. I payed just as much as you whiners.

Do I need preferential treatment? NO. You are entitled to UP TO 5 days early access. If its 1 hour before launch, you got what you payed for.

I'm simply sitting here in wonder at the idiocy of people on these forums... and of course, clicking my e-mail refresh button furiously :)

In BioWare's defense, they did announce that pre-orders would be let into early access according to when the pre-order was placed.

Also, give them a break. This is the first time they have ever launched an MMO, and maybe they want work out the kinks internally (not just server load and stability, but personnel performance as well) for the next week, figuring out what needs to be reinforced, and making sure that everything runs smoothly before letting the masses into the game.

This is anticipated to be the largest release of any MMO ever. The amount of pre-orders is astounding. Give them a week to make sure everything will be ok for release. I would rather they find issues now than when the floodgates open.

If you didn't pre-order early, you should have known you wouldn't get in the first day.

Having been invited in the second wave myself, I can say that the amount of players in-game is massive already, considering how many servers there are. Just be patient; you'll get to play soon enough.

Also, if they let everybody in and the servers went down, you would have even more angry people on these forums.

Or maybe the 1.5 million people who get in during the early access period will be on servers that are already full and the people joining the game on Dec 20 will go to the new servers Bioware will put up for them?

I love how you define over 1 million people as a "few." What color is the sky in your world?

Well you have to remember that a server doesnt just mean "one" server, each planet consists of multiple servers so by having people spread out in level range (which will certainly be the case by the 20th) they made sure that the lowbie zone doesnt get hit by 100k people but instead you will have people spread out between level 1 > 50 by then.

Login is going to be slow though especially on the more popular servers but this is not something thats unique for tor its always been that way.