Are high res out of the game because of the PC heat issues?

fendergibson

What game was it...StarCraft2?

Yea, I think it was.....remember when that first came out, and the opening screen (the one with the Blizzard logo) ran at such a high FPS that it was causing peoples computers to heat up?

At least in this game it's happening during gameplay!

Edited by Skoobie

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think adding an option to cap FPS at 60 without vsync would help the problem some, buying them time to program their game properly after.

Vsync is a 60 fps cap (at 60Hz refresh rate & single frame present interval). You're going to have to explain that one, considering you're following it up with the allegation that they can't program their game properly, and considering how you are unlikely to know how the frame presentation of the Hero Engine is coded.

just you bro. my laptop doesn't heat up at all. maybe you should upgrade your fans and heatsinks

Just you? Just because YOU'RE not having the issue? Don't be so self centered and go take a stroll to the customer service forums, there's a lot of people having this problem. I for one can confirm that It's causing heat and crashing issues on my computer.

What game was it...StarCraft2?

Yea, I think it was.....remember when that first came out, and the opening screen (the one with the Blizzard logo) ran at such a high FPS that it was causing peoples computers to heat up?

At least in this game it's happening during gameplay!

This.

I'm sure 90% of the people who post in this thread are playing with Vsync ON.

Vsync is a 60 fps cap (at 60Hz refresh rate & single frame present interval). You're going to have to explain that one, considering you're following it up with the allegation that they can't program their game properly, and considering how you are unlikely to know how the frame presentation of the Hero Engine is coded.

><

Well, if you dont even know why people like myself prefer to play without vsync, i will tell you why.

Have you ever played serious pvp or any gaming where fast reactions and lag can be a huge issue?

Vsync adds a slight lag to both mouse and keyboard input, so if you have really good latency, vsync can mess it up, and it becomes a bottleneck.

Vsync and FPS cap at 60 is NOT the same.

Why do you think there is both a FPS cap option and a seperate Vsync option in WoW? :)

Edited by fendergibson

I'm sure one of the biggest issues Bioware is dealing with, in regards to this problem, is the fact that it ISN'T happening to everyone.

It would be much easier to fix if it was.

Yes, but i think if they added an option to cap the FPS to 40, 50, 60 etc, it would solve a lot of the problem.

Because playing with vsync on is gimping yourself if you have reactions and a comp faster then a turtle.

I agree with the OP. I have a new rig, with a nVdia 580GTX graphics card. And a 750w psu. Again, all new, all worked in without a hitch. Like the OP I play Skyrim, Rift, and many other high requirment games. I have a gamers case with liquid cooling and 5 case fans............I've never ran hot in any game...That is until ToR. And as a matter of fact my PSU blew out last night. Took it into my PC guys and tested to make sure that nothing else was damaged. And so far its looking like its just the psu thats gone. Now, I can't be 100% sure ToR caused this. But it is highly suspicious when since playing ToR I started getting extrememly high temp from my PC, that I hadn't had before.

I've ordered a Corsair 850w gold series PSU. Highest quality, rated +80 gold.

If ToR gives this one problems, then I'm not sure what to say.

But to deny people are having heat issues with ToR is being very narrow minded and un-knowledgable.

I agree with the OP. I have a new rig, with a nVdia 580GTX graphics card. And a 750w psu. Again, all new, all worked in without a hitch. Like the OP I play Skyrim, Rift, and many other high requirment games. I have a gamers case with liquid cooling and 5 case fans............I've never ran hot in any game...That is until ToR. And as a matter of fact my PSU blew out last night. Took it into my PC guys and tested to make sure that nothing else was damaged. And so far its looking like its just the psu thats gone. Now, I can't be 100% sure ToR caused this. But it is highly suspicious when since playing ToR I started getting extrememly high temp from my PC, that I hadn't had before.

But to deny people are having heat issues with ToR is being very narrow minded and un-knowledgable.

FUD everywhere...

There is NO WAY that SWTOR directly caused your PSU to fail. It was likely defective. Even if your system managed to draw more power than the PSU could provide, that does not typically kill the PSU.

Edited by TostitoBandito

Dude, if you have a rig like that it wasn't TOR that blew out anything. There are literally millions of us with rigs that don't have that kind of cooling and it's running in normal ranges for us. I have not seen one substantiated case of anything different. As far as I can tell, this whole rumor of "heat issues" is just that: a completely baseless rumor.

In any case, a game isn't going to blow out your PSU. Ever. You've got no right to call others "un-knowledgable" after spouting that kind of nonsense.

Edited by imtrick

Yes, but i think if they added an option to cap the FPS to 40, 50, 60 etc, it would solve a lot of the problem.

Because playing with vsync on is gimping yourself if you have reactions and a comp faster then a turtle.

Maybe, but I have no idea how to make a MMO. ;)

I'm sure Bioware are doing all they can, and trying everything they can think of, to solve this problem.

They want the game running smoothly for everyone, too. Once they find that optimized "sweet spot", it will be one less headache for them.

What kind of card do you have?

If it's a Nvidia card download Inspector and clamp the fps yourself, it's not that difficult.

I'm sure 90% of the people who post in this thread are playing with Vsync ON.

What's that got to do with it? The topic of discussion is heat. If you run without vsync, the GPU runs at 100% at any available opportunity, barring other limiting factors. The basic cooling of the PC should cope with 100% GPU usage. If it can't, you've got it wrong (or someone sold you a card with defective cooling/paste).

If you run Crysis for example, it's quite capable of maxing out the GPU. It should not then cause your GPU to melt. If it does, there is a problem with your cooling.

Well, if you dont even know why people like myself prefer to play without vsync, i will tell you why.

Have you ever played serious pvp or any gaming where fast reactions and lag can be a huge issue?

Vsync adds a slight lag to both mouse and keyboard input, so if you have really good latency, vsync can mess it up, and it becomes a bottleneck.

Why do people keep perpetuating this? Yes I have played serious PvP. It applies to some games and mostly online FPS games; it does not apply to everything.

Lets' break this down from a coding perspective, ok? I don't mean this to sound critical; I am simply attempting to explain, but I know my posting can get a little terse.

• When you press a button in an MMO, there is a 120 ms round trip (I am assuming an average 60ms latency) before both client & server have acknowledged the effects of that button press. That is best case. Any hiccup on your route to the server or any server lag and that gets longer.
  • Vsync imposes a refresh rate frame limiting by causing each frame to be presented at the refresh rate of your LCD.
  • With vsync off, the only graphical change is that your GPU goes off and creates a bunch of frames that never appear on your screen.
  • Input lag, as you call it, can be entirely independent of what your GPU is doing with frames unless the input is processed per frame. That is a design decision in the game, and thus is not a given across every game ever written. It is entirely feasible to have mouse clicks and operations be entirely independent of the frame rate and talk straight to the network code. Remember that this isn't an FPS. All key decisions are made on the server. There is no pinpoint client data required, literally only what button you pressed (barring the mouseover attacks like death from above which do require coords).
  • Let us say for sake of argument that the above assumption is true though, worst case as it were. Running TOR without vsync in a busy battle gives you 80-100 fps which is the usual quoted for GTX 580s and so on. That means an input processing of every 10 ms. With vsync, that drops to a whole 16 ms.
  • Even if all the above is true, MMO server operations don't react instantly anyway. They operate on a repeated tick internally, updating every so often. That is why when the server is busy you get server lag - the tick is slowed down due to processing overheads.

The issue you are describing is adding 6 ms onto a round trip of 120, or a 5% improvement at best case, even in the worst case coding, which you don't know TOR uses. With respect, I'd say server lag and your own reaction times are likely to play a much larger issue. Very few people can tell the difference of a few milliseconds, and even fewer online games have the reaction speed in the code itself to notice a few milliseconds anyway.

All of which is off topic to the fact that heat issues are essentially vsync-independent; the PC should cope either way.

Edited by Grammarye

As other have said, it's impossible for SWTOR to blow out your PSU. What kind (Manufacturer) of PSU was it? Many of the higher tier manufacturers have 5 year warranties. You mentioned liquid cooling...are they sure there isn't a leak? Also, are you using a new, quality, surge protector?

That being said, you can't beat the Corsairs. I use a AX850 in my personal rig. It's a solid PSU.

Edited by Skoobie

Games can only stress your PC to 100 percent load. Your computer should be able to cool itself at 100 percent load. if it cannot cool itself at 100 percent load, something is wrong, but it is not swtor.

if you are complaining about the game being poorly optimized, that is a different story. The game might make your components run harder than other games, but there should never be a heating issue. So really the only valid complaint would be regarding fan noise.

It is impossible for swtor to destroy any of your PC components.

No, they are caused by poor optimization. Again. My cooling is good, I run Crysis, Skyrim etc completely maxed out WITH high texture graphic mods, and i can play it for 2 hours and the temperature is still only around 50-60 celsius tops. But SWtor is the ONLY game that has this problem at high settings and Vsync turned off.

They need to add an FPS cap option, and also you need to check your facts.

crysis and skyrim are not savage beast games that destroy gaming computers not by a long way.

the original crysis game was just so badly coded it was stupid, amazing graphics if you had the computer to do it but bugged to buggery, now crysis 2 on the other hand is very well coded and will barely tax even an older 4870 gpu which though old is still fairly decent.

skyrim barely and i mean this seriously warms my computer my max temp in skyrim was 42 celsius it's a game coded for consoles and ported to pc, it can run with far less resources than most low end gaming computers have.

now then i'm not going to say wow your just wrong there is no issue it's all in your head or anything like that but it's not a common issue either.

i'm going to for the sake of this debate do a few tests of my own and see, my core temps while i type this are 34 deg on core 1....the only active core right now, my gpu is idling but i really don't care about the temps on that as it does it's own thing and will run at what ever it needs to as it should.

i play far more demanding games than swtor and run far more demanding apps than games and i've not yet noticed any major temp spikes but i will check and see as while i don't notice it does not mean they aren't occuring.

What kind of card do you have?

If it's a Nvidia card download Inspector and clamp the fps yourself, it's not that difficult.

Yes i have a msi nvidia 560ti hawk, and also have inspector. But you can cap fps in inspector?

Can you say how I do this in nvidia inspector?

Would be much appreciated

I have been frequenting notebookreview for a while and there is no thread for my laptop complaining of SWTOR heat issues (Alienware M17x R3). It uses both AMD and Nvidia mobile GPU's, most commonly the 580M and 6990M. It has very effective cooling and heat dissipation, plus I have repasted and repadded my CPU and GPU, which lowered temps another 10C or so from stock.

If you run furmark and prime95 to stress the gpu/cpu, do you run into thremal issues there as well?

I have the same laptop. Alienware M17x-r3 | intel core i7 2820QM | Nvidia Geforce GTX580M 2GB GDDR5 | 16 GB Kingston HyperX PNP 1866Mhz RAM | 2x OCZ Vertex 3 Max Iops 240GB SSDs | 17.3 " (1920x1080) 120hz Screen with Nvidia 3d | Bigfoot Killer-N 1103 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit | Blue Ray slot fed.

I have not repasted my GPU or CPU. Just added and replaced some components of my own like memory and SSDs. I run with it sitting on a Zalman ZM-NC3000U Notebook cooler (220mm fan with an anodised aluminum plate). I have zero heat problems and zero throttling.

Tested running all the scenarios posted in here and im sorry mates but its your cooling thats not up to it. Like TestitoBandito said, try running furmark. If you have heat problems you will start to see them then as furmark etc will stress your system far more than SWTOR will.

Sure SWTOR may very well havehave code thats not 100% optimised that makes it stress your system more than other games (not that i noticed any of that) but that will still not go higher than a pure stress test like Furmark etc.

Yes i have a msi nvidia 560ti hawk, and also have inspector. But you can cap fps in inspector?

Can you say how I do this in nvidia inspector?

Would be much appreciated

Go into your profile and under the fourth section down, under the "Common" settings there is a setting called "Frame Rate Limiter" that will allow you to set the fps cap to whatever you want.

I love how people blame games and optimization for their problems but yet most don't share their experiences. Even if there are all these internet claims, no one is running out posting about how their machines are not overheating so the perception is skewed. For the record I have an Alienware with an I7 and a GTX 580 and my fans rarely even turn on in the game. I have yet to experience lag, I have AA set to 8 in the ini file and I'm running over 100 FPS. If the game was the issue we would all be sharing your problem since we're all playing the same game, since the only variable is our PC's then logically it's the PC that's the problem.

I don't know if this applies to the OP or not but you can build what sounds like a "great machine" with parts from discout warehouses and it is NOT the same as buying individual retail parts. I'd be carefull of warehouses that use a large % of remanufactured or "odd" retail parts which is how they can discount them so much. It WILL make you machine run different than someone with the same specs and retail hardware. A perfect example is buying a premade PC with a Gigabyte mother board. Call Gigabyte and see if they would even service it for you. If the part number isn't one they manufacture for retail they won't touch it even though it was originally made by them.

Just a thought.

Edited by Knellict

What's that got to do with it? The topic of discussion is heat. If you run without vsync, the GPU runs at 100% at any available opportunity, barring other limiting factors. The basic cooling of the PC should cope with 100% GPU usage. If it can't, you've got it wrong (or someone sold you a card with defective cooling/paste).

Vsync caps the fps at 60, but while playing without, there is not FPS cap = more pressure to the system. atleast thats the case with my pc, and all my friends i do pvp with. They have the same issues.

And yes, I can easily *feel* the difference in vsync on or off. My mouse feels much smoother, and my char runs/reacts smoother as well. I play with 40-50 latency ingame.

I also know that not every game is as the same negative effect from vsync, but swtor does on my pc, and my friend's pcs, as well as a huge amount of people around the net. I notice the difference in WoW as well. Not everyone has the same issues, but lots of people does.

When i played 2400+ rating in wow, vsync on or off had atleast had a great impact, for ME, on MY comp. This is the case for a lot of others as well.

Try to play at max settings, turn off Vsync, and start a quest conversation. Let the conversation last for 5-10 mins.

See the heat I'm talking about now? :)

Why would you purposely sit on a quest dialog and try to heat your computer? How does this make sense?

Fail logic is fail >.>