The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why do people consider TOR a single player experience? I don't understand.

Enistre

As the title suggests, I don't really understand. I'm a little new to MMOs, but certainly not single players. Am I missing something?

I understand that people are considering it a single player because the game I guess, is linear? But, I don't really think that. If you do every quest in an area, your space missions and a pvp daily, you'll out level your planet, letting you hop to different ones.

I guess it's because the planets are one after another though?

The questing doesn't feel single player, either... Take Skyrim. Skyrim is an awesome single player game, I love it. When I compare that to TOR, I don't see a comparison.

I've never seen a single player game where you're given a quest to kill 20 guys, or collect 20 things... for every single quest as the side quests go.

The main story quests are really cool and interesting, but otherwise - the side quests feel like, aside from the voice acting lore, repetitive and redundant. This makes me think of a normal MMO grind that doesn't give it a single player feel.

Could some one explain it to me, please?

Edited by Enistre

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They consider it so cause you can solo all the game ( i mean you can get to 50) , ... that is what makes a single player game dont considered if it is a good game or not.

I like the story im playing , actually the story i found cool ... doing all the side quests is what i find boring like hell.

Edited by rzrknight

My take on this is:

All the planets are 100's of instances, so you might bump in to one person and never again in your gaming life. You cannot therefore build up a casual relationship of just bumping into someone while questing every day.

Edited by British

Because there is no way that you will interact with other players other than PvP.

End game is non existant.

Strange, my friend and i finished both of our act 1 story missions together... since we started on different planets we've been grouping since lvl 10... im a trooper and shes a jedi ( the kind with 2 light sabers)

Ive made quite a few friends on my friends list.. a few tanks and some dps from running various flash points... we've all cruised on the tatooine baloon together.. and helped each other figure out how to get that darned datacron on the side of the sand crawler...

Among many many other things..

your lack of friends is why you cant interact with other players.. or mayhaps its your general attitude.. no one wants to group with a sour-sack or a mean-jean

My take on this is:

All the planets are 100's of instances, so you might bump in to one person and never again in your gaming life. You cannot therefore build up a casual relationship of just bumping into someone while questing every day.

But, I've ran into people plenty of times while questing. People doing the same quests on the planet I am.

They consider it so cause you can solo all the game ( i mean you can get to 50) , ... that is what makes a single player game dont considered if it is a good game or not.

I like the story im playing , actually the story i found cool ... doing all the side quests is what i find boring like hell.

Can't you get to 50 by yourself in any MMO, just by grinding mobs though?

@OP:

People want to hate so they come up with anything they can to hate with.

It's not hate, it's called opinion. Don't be a saddam hussain and dictate the public's decision to like this game. You have to be a blind goat to not see this game is a single player game that offers literally nothing. I'm level 36 and hating my life. If I wanted to play an RPG, I would go play skyrim. Because of Star Wars and me loving the history, I'm stuck playing htis piece of crap.

As the title suggests, I don't really understand. I'm a little new to MMOs, but certainly not single players. Am I missing something?

I understand that people are considering it a single player because the game I guess, is linear? But, I don't really think that. If you do every quest in an area, your space missions and a pvp daily, you'll out level your planet, letting you hop to different ones.

I guess it's because the planets are one after another though?

The questing doesn't feel single player, either... Take Skyrim. Skyrim is an awesome single player game, I love it. When I compare that to TOR, I don't see a comparison.

I've never seen a single player game where you're given a quest to kill 20 guys, or collect 20 things... for every single quest as the side quests go.

The main story quests are really cool and interesting, but otherwise - the side quests feel like, aside from the voice acting lore, repetitive and redundant. This makes me think of a normal MMO grind that doesn't give it a single player feel.

Could some one explain it to me, please?

mainly due to the fact you can reach level cap without ever joining a party, or even opening the chat window

indeed, you can. most people in this topic are just talking utter ******** to try give their false statements some strength. its pityfull really.

indeed, you can. most people in this topic are just talking utter ******** to try give their false statements some strength. its pityfull really.

What's an example of an MMO that requires you to group with people to get level cap?

Well , yes , but this one is actually made so you can quest and do most of the stuff by yourself , granted you have to party for some places , but it is not necessary for the most part.

Thats true of just about any mmo, including wow and rift. In fact this game has way more quests that require grouping than WoW does.

in that case, wow is a single player game to.

Actually, since Cata they give you more experience and it's a lot easier to level. Let's not forget, WoW is at level 85 cap and want new players to experience end game content with the rest of us. Why make them go through hell for 85 levels. That was a smart idea. Before cata, leveling wasn't quite as quick as you see now.

BTW, most people choose to warzone to 50 because questing is annoying. There are mobs everywhere you go, LITERALLY. You can't mount on the road and ride for scenery and get to a safe location without having to fight silver heads that take forever to kill even though they are weak. Everyone tries to avoid the hassle of that crap.

Well , yes , but this one is actually made so you can quest and do most of the stuff by yourself , granted you have to party for some places , but it is not necessary for the most part.

Isn't that similar for most multi player games?

Actually, since Cata they give you more experience and it's a lot easier to level. Let's not forget, WoW is at level 85 cap and want new players to experience end game content with the rest of us. Why make them go through hell for 85 levels. That was a smart idea. Before cata, leveling wasn't quite as quick as you see now.

BTW, most people choose to warzone to 50 because questing is annoying. There are mobs everywhere you go, LITERALLY. You can't mount on the road and ride for scenery and get to a safe location without having to fight silver heads that take forever to kill even though they are weak. Everyone tries to avoid the hassle of that crap.

Does PVP'ing to 50 really give that decent amount of experience compared to questing? I imagine it's got to be a lot slower though, right?

Edited by Enistre

Isn't that similar for most multi player games?

Only a selected few. World of Warcraft from what I remember leveling up back when it first started, you had elite mobs. For example, your first elite was hogger. Those were the only quests you needed to group and you rarely saw them. Other than that, it was only grouping for instances. Dont be fooled, WoW was a bit challenging for a few classes. Some quests required the assistance of another player.