The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Were those that predicted this game being a failure months ago just clairvoyant?

Chiricahua

Or were they beta testers who wrote carefully of their opinion without breaking their NDA? I mean there were a bunch who were spot on. The thing I remember from a year ago is the term space on rails, and no player crafting. I don't recall reading anything about pvp.

A lot more impressed than many launches where the game was either A) unplayable (server crashes, instability, etc.), B) buggy to the point of absurdity (getting stuck in instances for days, falling through the world, etc.) or C) was a boring grind-fest. This game isn't any of those in my opinion. So yes, I'm fairly impressed it's this good so far.

A lot more impressed than many launches where the game was either A) unplayable (server crashes, instability, etc.), B) buggy to the point of absurdity (getting stuck in instances for days, falling through the world, etc.) or C) was a boring grind-fest. This game isn't any of those in my opinion. So yes, I'm fairly impressed it's this good so far.

This. Wow had zero end game content At release was plagued with inbalances and lag. War was worse and don't let me get started on aoc. There has been no game as polished at release in the history of mmos. Does tor have problems? Of course. But it is light years ahead of every other mmo at release. What will make or break the game is how they address issues moving forward

This. Wow had zero end game content At release was plagued with inbalances and lag. War was worse and don't let me get started on aoc. There has been no game as polished at release in the history of mmos. Does tor have problems? Of course. But it is light years ahead of every other mmo at release. What will make or break the game is how they address issues moving forward

You are comparing this game to games that were released years and years ago. Shouldn't we expect some improvement in all areas. This is the most horribly optimized game that I have ever played. There should be certain aspects that continue to improve. when you go out and buy a new car after 10 years dont you expect it to have more features and less problems than the 10 year old junker you have been driving? Yes. But, as with every MMO there will fan boi's all the way cheering on a mediocre product with no replay ability.

Yeah I love people who compare this launch to WOW's launch.

This game is barely above garbage for a game with the budget size and pool of experince to pull from that it had.

Everything that is NOT related to single player story feels like it has been cobbked together at the last moment. PVP, OPS, FPs, Crafting, Guild Finctions, all years behind what a game should be in 2011.

This game is barely above garbage for a game with the budget size and pool of experince to pull from that it had.

Well, to be fair, you have to admit that as a single player CRPG, this is a pretty good game.

I mean, I see no reason to play Skyrim over SWTOR, for example. I think they're comparable but SWTOR at least gives you some chance to play with your friends.

It's just that the game is nowhere when it comes to PvP or compelling long term content. Like SWG, we again have "Star Wars" with no war in it.

Yeah I love people who compare this launch to WOW's launch.

Everything that is NOT related to single player story feels like it has been cobbked together at the last moment. PVP, OPS, FPs, Crafting, Guild Finctions, all years behind what a game should be in 2011.

Yeah I'm sure that all the content you listed (which is literally half the damn content in the game) was cobbled together at the last second by some guy scribbling on a bar napkin. Seriously, what delusional world you living in?

Second - name an MMORPG that was released recently that has more and better content than this. Your opinion of 'what a game should be in 2011' is irrelevant if it doesn't exist as an industry standard anywhere.

Third - WoW just put Pandas in.

Edited by drakhla

EverQuest 1 has been a continual failure for the last 13 years. Although, EQ1 did a few things better than SWTOR, and EverQuest:Next is actually building their own game engine, SWTOR will do just fine assuming they're working on more content, game balance, social engineering, addons, and taco flavored cupcake recipes.

Single Player content in this game is fine I've already said that. But Rift was better at launch. It had had a better UI, Macros, Skill trees, Graphics, PVP (though they did jack that up), instances were good (not great but good), crafting was better and raids were fine at least as good as what this game has.

If this game didn't have the Star Wars IP there would be less then a third of the people playing it, and it would be free inside of a year. It's that simple.

I find there is a lot more potential in TOR than there is/was in Rift. I agree with you in part, specifically that rift was a better released game and understood their market better. The idea that any game would be released without allowing their users to manipulate the interface is something you expect within PlayStation game--not a computer mmo.

There was great open world pvp in the first months, pvp raids with up to 200 players and everyone was walking in a huge group to raid the opposite towns. I still remember this time very good, fighting at Tarren Mill area each day.

They did destroy a lot of this nice world pvp with the implementation of Battlegrounds but it was alright for a while grinding for pvp gear and Alterac Valley battles were epic going on for 24/7. After the first expansion pack was released I did pack my suitcases and left since I was not stupid to start a new grind. The best days of World of Warcraft were in Vanilla WoW.

Edited by BobaFurz

When WarCraft was released it didn't have to be as polished. EverQuest 1 at the time was very repetitive and released a somewhat broken expansion; EverQuest 2 release was worse, the lag was terrible, tutorials didn't work--it felt nothing like EQ1 at all. WarCraft hit the market at the perfect time, even with an unfinished product. It projected itself in the genre, while being completely different and having pretty minimal system reqs. SW:TOR does not have that same opportunity to build their game as the consumer base grows, there are half a dozen MMOs out there with quality content and player-bases, and another half dozen going through the hype machine.

I think SW:TOR will do fine, but comparing its release to WoW is short sighted.

Shoot, Vanguard in my opinion had the best new-game of the decade that was stolen from them by its terrible terrible release, now nobody plays that old pile of used up potential. Game releases matter a lot, more than they use to.

Yeah I'm sure that all the content you listed (which is literally half the damn content in the game) was cobbled together at the last second by some guy scribbling on a bar napkin. Seriously, what delusional world you living in?

Second - name an MMORPG that was released recently that has more and better content than this. Your opinion of 'what a game should be in 2011' is irrelevant if it doesn't exist as an industry standard anywhere.

Third - WoW just put Pandas in.

1.. Most of the content he is talking about is a direct ripoff of other games... Huttball is about the only thing that is fairly original in the game beside the voiceover, which has NO replay value to it. And from my understanding, people don't really like huttball all that much(i personally enjoy it.)

2.. I could make a game with 7 million hours of content... if it sucked to play through, the volume of content is what is irrelevant.

3... I will take shiny silver ninja pandas dancing in tutus over a pvp experience that is full of lag, bad server response times and an overall slow pvp experience... It IS less dynamic from a gameplay point of view than WoW, even if visually it is a step up. It isn't debatable that the combat is slower... matters less about skill and more about gear... And that is clearly evident in the fact that fights are not really give and take.. it is just pound at each other and throw up stuns/mezzes until their resolve bar fills and hope you can burn them faster than them you...

oh and GW2 seems to be just about everything he is talking about... hopefully the wait isn't to much longer... or the TOR crew decides to actually reinvent the wheel, instead of claiming Voiceover revolutionized the MMO industry... LOL

Single Player content in this game is fine I've already said that. But Rift was better at launch. It had had a better UI, Macros, Skill trees, Graphics, PVP (though they did jack that up), instances were good (not great but good), crafting was better and raids were fine at least as good as what this game has.

If this game didn't have the Star Wars IP there would be less then a third of the people playing it, and it would be free inside of a year. It's that simple.

Yep, Star Wars brand is carrying this game. If this was 2006 then ya this game would be best ever, but sadly its 2012.

Forums predicting doom and gloom how amazing, never seen that before. Every MMO on earth has doomsayers from before day 1 and they continue to cry the sky is falling until the game is over. Does that make them psychic or just really annoying broken records.

Or were they beta testers who wrote carefully of their opinion without breaking their NDA? I mean there were a bunch who were spot on. The thing I remember from a year ago is the term space on rails, and no player crafting. I don't recall reading anything about pvp.

Like all MMO's the project is a work in progress, yes space on rails is a dissapointment but we have already been told that it is something the devs will look into. As for crafting again we learnt a few months before release that crafting would be sub par unless you raided to obtain epic patterns and mats. I am still hoping that once their figures reveal how small the raiding playerbase is they will correct this issue, like everything however the game will evolve.

Take Cata for example, upon release it was on par if not more difficult than TBC but in an effort to keep players its become very very easy.

I dont believe the game is a failure, there is potential it just needs a bit of work.

You are comparing this game to games that were released years and years ago. Shouldn't we expect some improvement in all areas. This is the most horribly optimized game that I have ever played. There should be certain aspects that continue to improve. when you go out and buy a new car after 10 years dont you expect it to have more features and less problems than the 10 year old junker you have been driving? Yes. But, as with every MMO there will fan boi's all the way cheering on a mediocre product with no replay ability.

You're comparing two different markets and expecting to have similar results. The way cars are made changes very little over the years, and the new features that come out 10 years down the road take very little extra work and time compared to your 10 year old junker. Implementing things in a video game is a much larger challenge, and if we expected every game to come out as polished as WoW, with all the same features, we'd be waiting another 5-10 years for the release.

While the artwork and the graphics can be improved upon by new technology, you still can't do the same with game mechanics to the same degree. Even though new engines come out, you still have to program a lot of the features into the game, and that takes a lot of time.

tl;dr You can't expect video games to include new features at release, because that requires a hell of a lot more time to develop then power windows or ABS on a car.

Umm well ahhh errr NO. Rift pretty much flawless, Lord of the Rings even more, pretty much flawless at launch

You mentioned AOC, I would put this game just a a couple notches above that as far as issues but I really don't mind bugs and features that need polish.

I am FAR more concerned that I'm getting BORED ALREADY

You're comparing two different markets and expecting to have similar results. The way cars are made changes very little over the years, and the new features that come out 10 years down the road take very little extra work and time compared to your 10 year old junker. Implementing things in a video game is a much larger challenge, and if we expected every game to come out as polished as WoW, with all the same features, we'd be waiting another 5-10 years for the release.

While the artwork and the graphics can be improved upon by new technology, you still can't do the same with game mechanics to the same degree. Even though new engines come out, you still have to program a lot of the features into the game, and that takes a lot of time.

tl;dr You can't expect video games to include new features at release, because that requires a hell of a lot more time to develop then power windows or ABS on a car.

Your wasting your breath. The fact is that the avg complainer doesn't have the faintest clue what it takes to develop one of these games. If it was easy we'd have a billion of them like the flood of useless Iphone apps.

Lord of the Rings even more, pretty much flawless at launch

Lord of the Rings did indeed have a flawless launch, as in performance. There was little Endgame content (as was expected) and the PvP (PvMP in that game) was horrid...

As has already been stated, the PvE side of this game is fine... people are complaining about the PvP... please don't contend LoTRO had great PvP at launch... it barely does now.

Umm well ahhh errr NO. Rift pretty much flawless, Lord of the Rings even more, pretty much flawless at launch

You mentioned AOC, I would put this game just a a couple notches above that as far as issues but I really don't mind bugs and features that need polish.

I am FAR more concerned that I'm getting BORED ALREADY

It's true, assuming you ignore the tens of thousand of accounts that got hacked using a backdoor in Trions own system. Followed by the 2-3 weeks wait on customer support because they simply didn't have the manpower to fix it. Using Rift Launch and Flawless in the same sentence, means you didn't pay attention during launch.