A "Need for Compaion" Button is needed.

Devoid

Anyone can say they need an item even if it isn't usable by your class...how's that any different? The game doesn't restricting "needing" an item if your class can't use it.

well that could make it class specific for players ie a sith inqui could not roll need on heavy plate his optiosn would be greed or pass. With the OP idea there would be a 3rd option need for companion

however it stil could be abused becasue everyone could just hit need for companion all the time since after a bit you have atleast one of your companions can use any item that drops

Not needed.

I wish people would just stop making these threads. It's a dead horse.

1. You have the option to completely gear out your companion on almost every planet. Some planets more than once.

2. Your companion is not a player, a player should always have priority over any NPC. You don't need to have your companion in all orange/purple gear to function in it's role.

3. You cannot bring your companion to Flashpoints (with a full group), Operations or Warzones, actual players take their place every time.

4. Roll greed and take your chances just like everybody else. Having an extra button will not stop ninjas from taking what you want, rolling need to gear an NPC is being a ninja.

If the gear can't be used by any actual players, and nobody minds if you hit need, problem solved. You don't need a 3rd button to do this.

Not needed.

I wish people would just stop making these threads. It's a dead horse.

1. You have the option to completely gear out your companion on almost every planet. Some planets more than once.

2. Your companion is not a player, a player should always have priority over any NPC. You don't need to have your companion in all orange/purple gear to function in it's role.

3. You cannot bring your companion to Flashpoints (with a full group), Operations or Warzones, actual players take their place every time.

4. Roll greed and take your chances just like everybody else. Having an extra button will not stop ninjas from taking what you want, rolling need to gear an NPC is being a ninja.

If the gear can't be used by any actual players, and nobody minds if you hit need, problem solved. You don't need a 3rd button to do this.

I play by these rules but that does not magically make every player know and understand these ideas. There is no reason their can not be a simple change to the loot system for companion characters. We don't need the need or greed option we have now. I remember playing before it and we did alright. Still it's a great things to have now and there is no reason that we should have to create our own third option by asking in party before you need.

I don't personally even need this but by g/f, who is new to game and this is her most played MMO, loves the idea and it would of prevented her from taking loot from players for her companion more then one time before I saw and explained it to her. Not everyone has been playing for a decade or even a year. Quit expecting everyone to act like a vet. There is no reason that this can't be automated so that it does not even need to be explained for the same reasons we now have the need/greed/pass options instead of /roll 1-100 or the like.

Edited by Devoid

• 3 weeks later...
Been level 50 for a bit now and still have not had any problem with losing gear to someones companion but I do see the complaints about all of the ninja looting. If their was a button just for that purpose it would cut down on the problem. Make it easy for people to behave well and many will.

You can gear your main character on every planet too. Some planets more than once.

My companion is controlled by me (I press keys and they take actions). While she has some limited autonomy during battle, my companion doesn't go anywhere on her own. My main character is also controlled by me. Neither of them are a "player". I am the player.

By declaring the armor that is an upgrade should qualify as need, it is implied that there should be some ranking of priority by need. To contiue along this line of thought, it is not unreasonable to consider that "need for companion" should outrank "sell to vendor". Therefore, pressing a different button than "sell to vendor" is appropriate. The only other button currently is "need".

The current "unwritten rule" that many people follow comes from previous games where pressing need in order to give your gear to your companion was not allowed. This is unsurprising, because there were no companions (if you claimed "need for companion", you would be just making things up).

Most people need to gear up their companions. You may consider that they are unworthy of gear acquired from a group, but it does not take away from the fact that a player will not be very successful in much of the game if their companion has no gear (therefore "needs" gear).

rolling need to gear an NPC is being a ninja.
Agreed. The medical droids do not need anymore gear -- they have done quite well up until now.

My companion is not an NPC. It is controlled by me. She also often wears better armor than me, since throughout 90% of the game, she takes more hits than me (if I am managing the battle correctly).

Edited by sjmc

Man, there are so many threads about this. The initial idea in the OP is fine I think. The problem however, is that imho, there is -never- going to be a flawless solution to this intricate situation.

There IS one solution that will always always always work however.

COMMUNICATION.

Ask the group.

If in doubt. ASK!

Please just ask. :\ Most of the time people's behavior changes to a more welcoming attitude if you ask nicely whether or not you can roll on something for a companion. :)

Just ask, it only takes a few seconds. :)

Edited by Scrobes

I would guess the people who would abuse this are already abusing the Need button as is.
The difference is that people that abuse a need for companion button (press it when their companion doesn't need an item) will only be taking priority over people that don't need the item for their main character or their companion (they pressed greed). People that need it for their main character (pressed need) will not be rolling against them. Edited by sjmc

I think a Need for Comp button would be an excellent addition to the game. Giving priority over those who would vendor.

However, to help with social accountability, I think you also need to add an "Inspect Companion" option.

If i feel a player has "ninja needed" an item I typically inspect them to see if they have indeed equipped the item or if the in-slot item is better then what they took. While we have no means of taking the item from them, it is useful to know as I will avoid grouping with those kind of players.