The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Question from a noob- Is this normal in an MMO?

ChrisRedmond

I'm completely new to MMOs but have become pretty hooked since trying swtor. This happened to me today-

Fighting as Republic, and questing in an Imperial area, I was followed for some time by an Imperial human player. He was healing the NPCs I was fighting, making it impossible for me to beat a mob. I tried to take out this healer, but I couldn't (he was not in PVP mode)

I ignored him for a while, as usually idiots go away when ignored. He didn't, and continued to follow me.

To say I became a trifle upset is an understatement of epic proportions. The profanity in the chat box was unspeakable. I called him names beginning with W, P, P, A, and a few others as well. Insulting his maturity, masculinity and intelligence.

He then taunted me he could follow me around all day.

Commence further profanity.

I took a few minutes to compose myself as I was getting nowhere, and finally convinced him to go away by informing him I was reporting his conduct to Bioware. I was left livid with him, and embarrased with myself.

I have a question, as I am new to MMOs. Is this normal behaviour in the MMO world?

If you're not playing on a PvP server, report him for Griefing.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He said he was in an imperial area. For him to expect to be able to run around in an Imperial area and just have imperial player /wave at him is kind of stupid, don't you think? On a PvP server he wouldn't get out alive.

And on a pvp server you could just attack the other player. The griefer sadly probably can't handle that so he griefs on a pve server where people can't attack him.

He said he was in an imperial area. For him to expect to be able to run around in an Imperial area and just have imperial player /wave at him is kind of stupid, don't you think? On a PvP server he wouldn't get out alive.

Except he isnt on a PVP server. He tried to kill the griefer but was unable to due to him not being flagged for PVP. Which tells me he was on a PVE server.

So the only way to really deal with people like this is to either:

A. Ignore the person and move to another instance.

B. Report him to a GM.

C. Find where he lives, drag him out of his house, and curb stomp him.

But, people like this arent everywhere. And btw. Just because someone is playing imperial and a republic player is in their area, doesnt give them the right to ruin the republic players experience. If anything a simple duel request would of sufficed. Loser walks. Just saying.

I chose moments like the OP described to go make a cup of tea.

When I come back, the person griefing is more then likely gone.

And yes, griefing of one kind or another is quite common in MMO`s. I find the best way to deal with them is to just bore them until they stop.

It's possible he was some crazy RP'er who felt he had a duty to heal the troops you were killing because they were Imperial allies.

Probably, he was just spaz though.

As many say- change instances of zones, fast travel somewhere, or just log on to a different toon.

Eventually, you'll encounter worse in an mmo, so get ready for some interesting moments and don't take the ******s personally. Remember it's a game, and if you are getting frustrated, maybe it's time to mix it up or take a break.

One day, though, you may even learn a few tricks to ruin their days when people start to mess with you. That's pretty satisfying.:D

Also, it never hurts to get a name when you're being greifed, either to avoid that player in the future, or maybe even to find them >;)~

Lastly, if you were playing on the Imperial side, that experience would have only fueled your anger, making you stronger!

I'm completely new to MMOs but have become pretty hooked since trying swtor. This happened to me today-

Fighting as Republic, and questing in an Imperial area, I was followed for some time by an Imperial human player. He was healing the NPCs I was fighting, making it impossible for me to beat a mob. I tried to take out this healer, but I couldn't (he was not in PVP mode)

I ignored him for a while, as usually idiots go away when ignored. He didn't, and continued to follow me.

To say I became a trifle upset is an understatement of epic proportions. The profanity in the chat box was unspeakable. I called him names beginning with W, P, P, A, and a few others as well. Insulting his maturity, masculinity and intelligence.

He then taunted me he could follow me around all day.

Commence further profanity.

I took a few minutes to compose myself as I was getting nowhere, and finally convinced him to go away by informing him I was reporting his conduct to Bioware. I was left livid with him, and embarrased with myself.

I have a question, as I am new to MMOs. Is this normal behaviour in the MMO world?

While I have read many posts just like yours on many other game forums, this is no the normal experience in MMO's.

IN a sitation like this, only 2 things to do, do exactly as you threatened and report that Player. Option 2, join a guild with folks that will come to your defense and chase that idiot away very quickly and you still report the idiot and he gets banned.

Option 2 is the funnest. :)

I would not really say it is "normal" for MMOs because there are plenty of MMOs out there that basically force these types of people off of the game. I did find it to be a much more prominent attitude in WoW than in any other MMO I played though.