The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I've made myself to download the whole Test Client, and that's what I've found:

Now there are only 2 options for "Texture Quality", "Shader Complexity" and "Character

Level of Detail":

http://floomby.com/content/Unhn91yMJ0

http://floomby.com/content/mx3gBmTTkS

http://floomby.com/content/axEz2UPYUE

This is how the game looks on Low:

http://floomby.com/content/5hsuNryE1E

And High:

http://floomby.com/content/SpcGe55FUk

So you see enviroment textures do change, but the character ones are always the same...

The options of "Low" and "High" only affect cutscenes, but unfortunately I can't make screenies during them:(...

I've forced AA and Anisotropic filtering through my AMD Vision control center, and even though it's no high resolution textures, and my graphics card can only handle 2x AA, I've been really impressed with the changes.

(I also found enabling Surface format optimization shot my frame rate through the roof)

As everyone else I do hope we get high res, we're missing out on so much beauty at the moment!

Thank you for doing research of this on the PTS, I have been curious if there was any difference. Disappointed to see that there isnt a change, but still hoping to get a reply. Also, kudos to the original poster for updating his post with relevant information. The more people we get to look at this thread and understand the issue, the more likely (I hope) that we will get a response.

Thank you for doing research of this on the PTS, I have been curious if there was any difference. Disappointed to see that there isnt a change, but still hoping to get a reply. Also, kudos to the original poster for updating his post with relevant information. The more people we get to look at this thread and understand the issue, the more likely (I hope) that we will get a response.

You're welcome:)

Your subscription has been cancelled.

You have 10 days of play time remaining. When your play time runs out, you will no longer be able to play. Please sign up for a recurring subscription plan or redeem a Game Time Code.

I'll keep an eye on this thread for when the textures are fixed but I'll go play something else until it is.

Any response yet from Bioware? Love the game, graphics are nice (in most areas) and from a distance mostly...but the option to increase would therefore mean the option to decrease...so a win win for everybody..

No response, they're leaving us completely in the dark. :(

4- Somehow, the high resolution textures are already in the game. But they are not being used while playing with your character. You can see em during dialog cutscenes. You can see them on your companions wardrobe preview window. And you can see them for 0,5 secs after clicking on your holo terminal in your ship. Here are some examples:

Here are my thoughts, and speculation on this...

I recently found, when I leveled a Republic character, that the tree leaves shadings as done in real "high" mode in conversations is bugged. each leaf on a tree is shaded, then not, then shaded, then not, at an incredible rate. Making the trees look as if they're shaking. This was resolved by switching off DOF in conversations.

So my guess is (Confirmed by James Ohlen's blog), that BW is first fixing critical bugs. For instance, a low frame rate bug in shaders, inside buildings on some machines.

I would also note, that performance increases, the less you see. This may sound logical, but it has some implications. If you stand against a wall, your framerate goes up.

Problem is, in conversation my frame rate drops to mid 40s (570GTX). I can't imagine the game being playable on high if I were able to turn around from a conversation, and zoom out, see more of the world.

So I think they still have some world to do on optimization, before they'll roll out "high".

I recently found, when I leveled a Republic character, that the tree leaves shadings as done in real "high" mode in conversations is bugged. each leaf on a tree is shaded, then not, then shaded, then not, at an incredible rate. Making the trees look as if they're shaking. This was resolved by switching off DOF in conversations.

So my guess is (Confirmed by James Ohlen's blog), that BW is first fixing critical bugs. For instance, a low frame rate bug in shaders, inside buildings on some machines.

I would also note, that performance increases, the less you see. This may sound logical, but it has some implications. If you stand against a wall, your framerate goes up.

Problem is, in conversation my frame rate drops to mid 40s (570GTX). I can't imagine the game being playable on high if I were able to turn around from a conversation, and zoom out, see more of the world.

So I think they still have some world to do on optimization, before they'll roll out "high".

Thats pure spuculation. However likely your theory might be, there is no response from Bioware yet, so we are to assume that they're just trying to push this under the carpet, and have Medium graphics, assume the new role as High graphics.

You might be right tho, and for Biowares sake I hope you are. Degrading the game normally gives a company a bad reputation, especially when they are trying to cover it up.

The problem with these kind of justifications is the fact that patch 1.1 is renaming current medium setting to high (without actually making it high setting ) So if it was a matter of time for a fix to arrive, why do they need to make this change? Its just to suspicious and sound like they are trying to sweep it under the rug and hope people give up or don't notice the switch.

If it was as you said like why other countless bugs they have come out and stated that they are working on it and that it will be fixed eventually. We are not even asking for an ETA most people here what want the most is acknowledgement of the issue and an explanation if possible.

But as you all well know once you admit a problem exits then you gotta deal with it and it seems this is the reason they haven't.

I updated the first post with some information I recieved from an user via PM. Seems like the texture nerf is being applied on the RemoteRenderer.dll.

Would be funny if someone in the community found a working fix before we even get a response.

The problem with these kind of justifications is the fact that patch 1.1 is renaming current medium setting to high (without actually making it high setting ) So if it was a matter of time for a fix to arrive, why do they need to make this change? Its just to suspicious and sound like they are trying to sweep it under the rug and hope people give up or don't notice the switch.

If it was as you said like why other countless bugs they have come out and stated that they are working on it and that it will be fixed eventually. We are not even asking for an ETA most people here what want the most is acknowledgement of the issue and an explanation if possible.

But as you all well know once you admit a problem exits then you gotta deal with it and it seems this is the reason they haven't.

I speculate that they are receiving a lot of bug reports that medium and high give the same graphics quality, without the UI even reloading. And you can't have just Low and Medium as settings, as that will get bug reported. You can't have just Medium and High as settings, as that will get bug reported.

Yes, you and I may be happy with just official word, with no ETA. But this forum? I think we both know, they'll demand an ETA 4 hours after the official word.

Edited by DesleDarksyde