The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

So then why are you here?

If you don't care about something, you stay home. You don't go to the rallies for it and shout "I DO NOT CARE ABOUT THIS CAUSE" out of a megaphone.

This is the internet, people come to shout out they don't care at every chance they get.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am perfectly aware they are working on the problem, and they have been since they addressed the question in beta.

However, that does not change the fact there will not be a sudden dramatic improvement in the look of the game, the textures are already there and always have been, they are simply not being displayed correctly. They were not intentionally switched off, removed from the download due to size restrictions, nor hidden for some other obscure tinfoil hat theory, it was a bug.

If you actually pay attention in game, once in a while you can see the textures in all their glory, but what they offer, is not all that far removed from what is available now, all you will notice once fixed is a little more detail and bump mapping.

You obviously did not play Beta for the short half a day that they enabled High res textures. you are seriosuly deluded . it made a massive difference in appearance and enviroments. Ill even go on to say it actually enhanced my ingame expierence. there is no doubt in that. these textures the lack of AA and things that they marketed as the retail product through screen shots and videos. this was a number one hot topic in beta its not going away the game was signifcantly better looking with those options.

Graphics are worse than in WoW, which is feat of its own when thinking WoW's age, because of muddy low-res textures on players, NPC's and world when outside of the conversations. On top of lack of proper eye candy will 1.1 **** many 50's over because they play on low-pop server or most of players level slow => no PvP and most likely they can't do FP's or Ops. anyway.

So yeah, what fun is had in SWTOR? Rolling 20 alts is not for everyone.

Of course the graphics will look worse than WoW. You are running everything on medium. LOL

I will have to disagree though ... log into wow and go stand 10 feet from a tree or look at the grass up close or even a rock (not from ten miles away and AWE at the graphics from a distance - stand just a few feet away), then do the same in SWTOR .. wow graphics are very sub par even for 2004

swtor has better graphics than wow

even everquest 2 graphics blow wow out of the water.. in eq2 with everything maxed .. go stand 2 feet in front of a rock or a tree or a building .. and it still looks like a rock or a tree or a building .. stand 5 feet in front of an object in wow and it looks like a water painting from a 2 year old

Edited by bboudreaux

Well, that thread on the PTS forum shows that they at least know about this one and are reading it. I have faith in Bioware to fix this issue, I'm sure they understand the damage to their credit by removing the medium texture setting and changing it to be called "high" and obviously the cat's out of the bag now. I think in general if they answer the following questions here, most of us will be satisfied -

1. Please clarify the "work around" requested in the first post of this thread, including a clarification of the sentence: If you installed prior to 5:00AM CST on January 4th, 2012, your graphics will display as "Low" even if actual in-game settings are higher due to automatic preference detection. and if reinstalling the game from origin, or any other source will remedy this issue.

2. Please explain the removal of the "medium" texture setting on the PTS and its apparent promotion to being called "high" despite the fact that it still retains all of the characteristics and low quality textures of the current "medium" setting.

3. Please indicate if a fix is being worked on/implemented, and if so, when we may roughly be able to expect it.

Muddy textures are not a game breaker. You can still, as I have, have an enormous amount of fun with this game. I think we jump the gun if we say that bioware is sweeping the problem under the carpet, without an explanation, we wont know for sure if that is the case until 1.1 goes live.

That being said, this is a Triple A title, from a Triple A studio, and a Triple A publisher. We are indeed paying customers who really want noting more than an explanation. I think we all generally understand that this isn't a "snap your fingers" fix, because if it was they would have no reason to hold it back. The frustration from most reasonable people in this thread is one of lack of explanation/communication.

We can split hairs about if the issue is lighting, or if its textures (though the visual proof shows textures http://m.uploadedit.com/bac/1325903803236.gif). And we can say "Why not just settle? Its a good game," But the core of this problem is a simple one - missing high res textures, and the apparent lack of information on a fix.

**snip**

I have faith in Bioware to fix this issue, but we really do need to be told what is going on.

I'd like to highlight the above post.

While some people are putting a bit too much emphasis on this issue, most of us understand there's more to it than a simple fix.

For now BioWare is giving me the feeling they are playing hide and seek with us. Bad move. Simply put you have way too many customers with too various skills sets to be able to pass through unnoticed.

Now the ball is in your camp BioWare/EA . You can go the SoE/LA way keeping things shadowy or come upfront the Trion way. In the end it's your choice, as is mine to choose where I spend my $$$ at the start of each month. (Yeah I know: only one customer over hundreds of thousands)

As closure may I say I grown fed up of bad communication in some others MMO and taking players for mindless lambs. Please don't go the same road.

Hopefully a long term subscriber.

Edited by Deewe

All they have to do is list it under their known bug list over in the customer service forum.

The latest one there is from January 5, and does not mention anything about textures missing.

At the end it does list something about low setting, but I can't make sense out of it because it's extremely poorly worded and open for interpretation.

If anyone can make sense out of the information below let me know, because I can't...

"If you installed prior to 5:00AM CST on January 4th, 2012, your graphics will display as "Low" even if actual in-game settings are higher due to automatic preference detection.

Workaround: Your graphics setting will display properly once modified and saved.

Workaround: Individual preferences will display properly once modified and saved."

i've already cancelled my subscription. Although this is one of the major pet peeves I have, there are some other problems too like the messed up guild screen and the green walls everywhere. This doesn't mean I want everyone to join me or wish anything bad to happen to this game. Its just that I myself will wait a while until most of these major bugs are fixed before subscribing again.

If anyone can make sense out of the information below let me know, because I can't...

"If you installed prior to 5:00AM CST on January 4th, 2012, your graphics will display as "Low" even if actual in-game settings are higher due to automatic preference detection.

Workaround: Your graphics setting will display properly once modified and saved.

Workaround: Individual preferences will display properly once modified and saved."

This was in relation to the .ini changes made in the 1.0.2 patch and has nothing to do with the issue currently being discused.

Re-POSTING!

If you wanna see the difference immediately do this!

IF YOU CTl+ click to PREVIEW YOUR GEAR ON YOUR COMPANION, IT IS IN HIGH REZ. SWITCH BACK ON YOUR CHARACTER AND IT'S LOW REZ LOL. SO NOW I PREVIEW ALL GEAR ON MY COMPANIONS MODEL.

I use Lord Scourge to do my preview due to his size. DO a comparison on a companion that has the same body type.

Edited by WarheartZero

Ya know i am thee ultimate graphics whore. I update my pc to the best of the best regularly. If graphics suck in a game or I find them not up to par I'm out. For once I can honestly say to my amazement with swtor I really don't give a darn. I just love playing this game so much that I find it beautiful no matter what. That's a giant credit to Bioware in my book. So take ya time Bioware you have my monthly and my entire guilds on lock. When ya fix it ya fix it. If ya don't I care not.

This was in relation to the .ini changes made in the 1.0.2 patch and has nothing to do with the issue currently being discused.

How do you modify these settings to work properly? From the game client, or do you have to do it manually in the .ini file?

I did not notice any difference before and after the patch?

How do you modify these settings to work properly? From the game client, or do you have to do it manually in the .ini file?

It won't fix this issue. There is no fix.

Everyone who uses twitter needs to send a tweet referencing this thread to Stephen Rheid so we can get a response on this, that is their chosen medium of communication.

https://twitter.com/#!/Rockjaw

Edited by BeeblesTV

Don't let this thread die!

Those who think that the texture issues are lighting, you are mistaken.

Do some tutorials on 3D modeling and skinning, you will learn the difference in texture resolutions. NOTHING to do with lighting.

If you noticed no differnce then you where not affected.

It won't fix this issue. There is no fix.

Everyone who uses twitter needs to send a tweet referencing this thread to Stephen Rheid so we can get a response on this, that is their chosen medium of communication.

https://twitter.com/#!/Rockjaw

This is one of the most proactive things we can do besides keeping this thread alive and well. We want acknowledgement above all things and then for it to be fixed.