The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why the grind has got to go in MMO's

Chiricahua

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The company has no clue about class balance...

SWTOR has level 50s playing against level 11s.

GW2, everyone has the same gear/level/number of traits, everything... I think I'll go with GW2.

I can't wait for GW2... so that everyone who has touted its virtues for sooooo long can complain on their forums about this and that and this and that and this... It will be epic!!

GW2 can only fail, with as high of a pedestal it is being put on.

Haven't played DCUO then lol. It's pretty much, here's your toon, tomorrow you're max level, enjoy.

I like this newer model of less leveling, more endgame and PvP. This of course depends on your product having a well built and content-heavy endgame and a decent PvP system :D

Well then, let me just say that I am very thankful that that game exists for people like you to play and enjoy. Diversity is not the name of an old wooden ship used during the civil war. It's nice to have that, for some people, and games that have more of a time investment associated with their character for the others. It's very rewarding for gamers like me.

I wish this game had more of a grind to reach max level. It's waaaay too fast in my opinion. You see we just have completely opposite wishes for the MMOs that we play. We are probably never going to agree on this subject and that's ok. You are always going to want games to give you more instant gratification and I am going to be looking to invest my time in the leveling up process.

Just know, that when you go to forums like this and ask for games to be made much simpler, there are going to be people like me here as well that will argue against you on the subject.

I hope you enjoy the time you spend playing this and any other game you might try. :)

Edited by sevenex

I've been playing this game for many months since beta and haven't experienced a single hour of "grinding". I've experience grinding in every other MMO I played, sometimes for as long as 9+ hours just killing random mobs, but never here. Too busy enjoying the story to bother with any grinding.

I find this:

Accept Quest: Kill Some Guy

While on my way to kill some guy, I blow up some of Some Guy's guards, and find out I get a bonus if I kill 30 of them. Hell, I was going to kill more than that just to get to Some Guy!

Preferable to this:

Accept Quest: Kill Some Guy's Guards.

Return to quest-giver.

Get Quest: Kill Some Guy.

No way. The way they've implemented it is great. You want the bonus quest on the way to kill the main guy or reach the main objective or something.

Works perfectly.

Cheers.

There is a grind in SWTOR. There is one in WoW. There was one to grind holos to get the uber jedi armor in SWG, although to grind a regular combat character took less than 2 days.

Developers are under the impression there is an unwritten rule to grind levels. If they had interesting quests like some single player games then the grind would disappear. For example in Fallout New Vegas it took about 50 hours (including side quests) to reach max level 20.

Having to kill Benny's body guards to get to Benny is one thing, but having to kill 20 rakghouls just to gain X amount of experience because some developer doesn't want to use his brain is another.

Go play Guild Wars. Its a free MMO with little to no grind. Its got enough content to reach level 500+ but your max level is 20. You can reach 20 rather quickly. Most of the game is built around enjoying the story. People only really quest to enjoy the story and to save up money for better gear.

Edited by ClayPeopleCry

It seems to me that you're saying, in effect "Baseball should start in the ninth inning. Also, why do we have to go through first and second base just to get to third? We should just go to third and then run home."

I would shift your analogy a bit. I think leveling is more like practice before the baseball game. In WoW the game did not really begin until you hit the level cap and could run top level dungeons to get gear to then go on to raiding. This was how you completed the essential parts of the story. And before the level cap, you just simply could not wear the items or use the skills to be able to contribute to this in a meaningful way.

This game seems much the same way. You progress from one potemkin village of a quest hub to another. The struggle in those places never changes, the guards still shoot "intruding" flesh beasts on sight, justicar guards just stand around doing nothing, the two dudes in the corner having a conversation are standing there waiving their arms around, and will be as long as the game is still in existence. All of this artifice is to provide a backdrop for you to level until you hit the cap, and can join a large raiding group and have fun playing with others every tuesday and friday at 8PM EST for 4 hours.

Edited by MadJerry

Well then, let me just say that I am very thankful that that game exists for people like you to play and enjoy. Diversity is not the name of an old wooden ship used during the civil war. It's nice to have that, for some people, and games that have more of a time investment associated with their character for the others. It's very rewarding for gamers like me.

I wish this game had more of a grind to reach max level. It's waaaay too fast in my opinion. You see we just have completely opposite wishes for the MMOs that we play. We are probably never going to agree on this subject and that's ok. You are always going to want games to give you more instant gratification and I am going to be looking to invest my time in the leveling up process.

Just know, that when you go to forums like this and ask for games to be made much simpler, there are going to be people like me here as well that will argue against you on the subject.

I hope you enjoy the time you spend playing this and any other game you might try. :)

Oh I enjoy SWTOR and am not trying to advocate for making it easier. It's just slower leveling than some other games I've played and I'm a destination type player rather than a journey type. DCUO was just an example of a game for my type which is quick journey followed by content-filled destination.

I think SWTOR does a fair job in accommodating all of our play styles and that's why I'll continue my sub. :D

Meh, off the top of my head, one quest in Nar Shaddaa - run all the way through agro mobs to get to an instance, then have to grind back if my qt is down - or just die to get back to my bind fast. All of that stupid time wasting just to find that after the turn in back at the quest giver, I need to run right back to where I was or very near it to continue on.

Grind-o-rama. So unnecessary and when you have played enough MMO's to see it for the time sink it is, it's just annoying.

I've never run into this. My experience has always been: get to hub, pick up 4 or 5 quests, go out and complete those quests, with some nice bonuses if i feel like killing enough mobs,(usually don;t even have to try, would have had to anyway), return to hub and turn in all quests. Personally, I hated WoW's endgame, that's where I dropped off. Had a blast leveling and playing with other people, trying other classes to pick the one i liked best, etc. the grind pissed me off, (which, btw, is nothing like this game, i've never had to stand in one spot killing one group of mobs because i was too low level to move on to the next area) then i got to the end game and thought "wait, what? all I do now is run the same dungeons over and over to prove i'm awesome or something and get good gear, and stand around posing and maybe gank some noobs? I might as well play one of those godawful team fps's on ps3 with my 9 yr old nephew.

Edited by Revelationjp

There is a grind in SWTOR. There is one in WoW. There was one to grind holos to get the uber jedi armor in SWG, although to grind a regular combat character took less than 2 days.

Developers are under the impression there is an unwritten rule to grind levels. If they had interesting quests like some single player games then the grind would disappear. For example in Fallout New Vegas it took about 50 hours (including side quests) to reach max level 20.

Having to kill Benny's body guards to get to Benny is one thing, but having to kill 20 rakghouls just to gain X amount of experience because some developer doesn't want to use his brain is another.

obvious troll, the only really grindy quests i have done are the bonus, kill x amount of y quests and you dont even need to do these.

this game has some of the most interesting quests in any game i have played.

No grind in this game. In fact I'd rather see it take longer to get to 50.

There is a grind in SWTOR. There is one in WoW. There was one to grind holos to get the uber jedi armor in SWG

Does not compare to original EQ. This is the least grindy MMO I have ever had the pleasure to play.

Maybe I am just rose colored glasses here but I remember a single level taking days or a week of real grinding, not what we have in today's WoW or ToR.

Like go find a spot and literately grind mobs (not questing) until you got a level, sometimes you might get lucky and get a group to go grind mobs, and if you got really lucky the best hotspots might be open.

If not prepare to check spot after spot to fight over a single mob or two, and then wait after you clear the area for the respawn.

The only thing that compares to that has been FF11, almost everything you ever do past level 10 or 11 will be group content or group grinding, have fun waiting FOR HOURS trying to get a group later on (or in some spots) only to have the group break up 30 minutes later.

Here's a new system that will meet with your approval.

When you are at work you can crew-deploy your character to quest and level. When you log into the game after work each night all the purple gear will be in your mailbox. Oh we can't do anything about the fact that the older email items from earlier in the day are outdated by better ones with more current time stamps, but that's ok, we've made all gear BoE so you can sell it. In fact there's a check box option in your email to auto sell with 5% undercut all items you won't wear. We'll email you automatically when your character reaches 50 while you are offline too.

We've created a new website for you to manage, task, administrate all your in-game needs, just click options you want like

[ ] level my character automatically to 50

[ ] make me billions of credits

[ ] give me server firsts on all crew skills

[ ] have all my crew missions result in purple schematics and prototype gear

[ ] make my character reputation one that is actually feared in the player community

[ ] all of the above while i'm offline or on vacation

You should have played AION on release it would make any grind in this game looks like a day at a spa.

In earth and beyond lvl 150 took me 5 weeks

In SWG jedi took me 7 months

In Warcraft Vanilla took me 3 months (6 weeks in BC / 2 weeks in wrath and Cata)

In Aion 50 took me 3.5 months

In SWTOR - 8 days

be grateful, you even get to watch movies as you go, and listen to great voice actors, and smell bantha poodu along the way.

I will admit that sometimes the quests will start to feel redundant at higher levels. The formula of go to planet #3, find out about evil person #3, do some quests so you can infiltrate evil lair #3, and finally kill evil person #3, receive uber loot #3, proceeed to planet #4... etc. If you take your time and try to enjoy the specifics of the story, maybe even slow down and try to do some heroics and pvp a bit, mix it up. The game will not seem like a grind. You can even skip some quests that may not interest you if you do this. But this game does not have a grind if by grind you mean the killing of mobs for no reason. The single player story(main and side stories that is) quests took me from 1-50. You require nothing else. No space, no pvp, nothing.

How do I into space bar?

I enjoy the voice overs, sorry that you do not.

Also,

colors

lol.

I

can

do

colors

too!

Wow ok. Lets see i can right click someone and get the quest instantly or i can space bar, space bar, space bar ,space bar, space bar, space bar my way to 50.

Awesome. Another masterpiece from Bioware

Wow ok. Lets see i can right click someone and get the quest instantly or i can space bar, space bar, space bar ,space bar, space bar, space bar my way to 50.

Awesome. Another masterpiece from Bioware

How did you not know about the story part of the game. The way the story is told was the main feature I bought it for.

Maybe this is not the game for you?

Also, and this is a big secret, so don't tell everyone.

If you go into the menu you can select the auto skip.

Also, Alt + T is target of target.

Don't tell anyone though, I mean its not like you could look through the game menu and find these settings and commands or anything.