Gift Prices On GTN...Rant On!

DervimNorth

Ok fellow UT traders, let's talk some business, about gift prices...And some common sense, while we're at it.

First let's start by doing some simple math.

A grade 1 green quality gift costs 200 creds to buy from vendor, while cheapest grade 1 gift UT mission costs 95 creds.

Sooo...With that in mind, we have min-max price range 95-200 creds. Than there's GTN fee, which is, like another 10-20 creds on top of that min-max price, which means that the minimum price of where you're not losing credits, but not profiting from selling those gifts, is 105 credits. Of course, it's not exact number, but it is pretty darn close.

And with that in mind...WHY WOULD YOU PLACE THOSE GIFTS UNDER ANY LOWER PRICE?! Oh don't get me wrong, I'm all up for charity, so long as it doesn't messes with my business, but I just can't understand why would you farm those gifts, than sell it with a net loss and then come here and complain about how hard it is, to come by the cash for any non-grinder in this game.

Sure, it's a no big of a deal, only 10 creds per each grade 1 gift, right? WRONG! Prices just keep going from bad to worse the higher the grade and it's quality gets. For example, grade 2 gifts cost 600 in vendor shops while grade 2 mission costs 250-300. So why do I see lots of grade two gifts with price tags in range of 200-250? You're not making money, people! YOU'RE LOSING IT!

Sure, maybe you're doing it for the lolz coz you can easily overcompensate with the help of rare UT mats. However given the ridiculously high amount of ridiculously cheap gifts on GTN, I'd say you're losing craploads of creds!

So once again, don't use default prices and DON'T make things even cheaper. You're supposed to win cash, not lose it by trading.

Rant off.

Edited by DervimNorth

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

level up

get grade 2-5 gifts

???

relish in the bigger margins for profit

your just working a market where people want to get that stuff out of their bags, they hardly care about profit

You're missing the point. It's the same for all grades. One through five, people are selling those gifts for a much lower price than the cost of the missions.

I can understand grade one gifts, even grade2 gifts being underpriced, just to free some space, but the rest? That's just plain ridiculous.

Why would people pay 1200 credits for a mission and than sell the gift for 900-1000? It's not just one gift we're talking about here.

You're missing the point. It's the same for all grades. One through five, people are selling those gifts for a much lower price than the cost of the missions.

I can understand grade one gifts, even grade2 gifts being underpriced, just to free some space, but the rest? That's just plain ridiculous.

Why would people pay 1200 credits for a mission and than sell the gift for 900-1000? It's not just one gift we're talking about here.

Probably because theyre gifts that the players dont want. Dont forget different peopple need different gift types, they sell unneeded and use the needed.

You're kinda contradicting yourself there...

No he's not. It makes sense.. it's even a "duh" moment.

I send my companion for gifts. He comes back with a blue Courting gift. Guess what? I'm not courting anyone. What do I do with it? Sell it, okay. Now with gifts being as common as they are, getting like 15+ an hour if you so choose, do you really think I care about tracking how much the mission cost and making sure I'm getting just the right amount to break even?

Because people just want to get rid of em or they simpely want to give out a bargin to people? If it bothers you then buy em n repost em. Some will sell cheap goods just to get rid of em, basic Buisness 101. Really that crap is chunk change n why make a post on it.

I send my companion for gifts. He comes back with a blue Courting gift. Guess what? I'm not courting anyone. What do I do with it? Sell it, okay. Now with gifts being as common as they are, getting like 15+ an hour if you so choose, do you really think I care about tracking how much the mission cost and making sure I'm getting just the right amount to break even?

So I take it you're not much of a reader then? Because I'm pretty sure he says that different people need different gifts, in other words he's saying that one man's trash is another man's treasure.

15 plus an hour? I dont think so. Skill up and one mission can take almost 2 hours.

15 plus an hour? I dont think so. Skill up and one mission can take almost 2 hours.

For gifts is's around 30minutes for the max level gifts. Still it's stupid that they're this cheap. It's about the only thing I could make money on as Synthweaved stuff doesn't exactly seem to sell. Guess I better get used to being broke.

For gifts is's around 30minutes for the max level gifts. Still it's stupid that they're this cheap. It's about the only thing I could make money on as Synthweaved stuff doesn't exactly seem to sell. Guess I better get used to being broke.

Do not sell or buy stuff at GTN it will save you money.

If you think rank 1 is bad, wait until you hit rank 5.

People are just throwing the gifts up on the TN for whatever the TN puts as the default price. The missions for rank 5 gifts range from 2-3k, take up to 2 and a half hours to complete and they have a 1/5-ish chance of getting an epic rank 5 companion gift, which if given to a companion of which that type is their favorite, nets a nifty 550 to 650-ish affection gain.

And people are putting them up for LESS than the TN default of 4320 credits... And not just one or two people... I mean PAGES of idiots doing this.

I'm trying to keep the price up where it belongs, about 12.5k for the epics and 4.5k for the blues of rank 5, but every time I look at the TN and see this, I just go:

http://www.hannahcechini.com/img/img-thing.jpg

Edited by Synica

People are just throwing the gifts up on the TN for whatever the TN puts as the default price. The missions for rank 5 gifts range from 2-3k, take up to 2 and a half hours to complete and they have a 1/5-ish chance of getting an epic rank 5 companion gift, which if given to a companion of which that type is their favorite, nets a nifty 550 to 650-ish affection gain.

And people are putting them up for LESS than the TN default of 4320 credits... And not just one or two people... I mean PAGES of idiots doing this.

I'm trying to keep the price up where it belongs, about 12.5k for the epics and 4.5k for the blues of rank 5, but every time I look at the TN and see this, I just go:

In WoW I loved selling items at dump prices jus because people would be annoyed by it. Greedy bastards.

In WoW I loved selling items at dump prices jus because people would be annoyed by it. Greedy bastards.

Selling items AT their price is by no means "being greedy", underselling because you manage to make loads of cash someway and want to annoy people having more trouble keeipng their cash balance right otoh IS being selfish.

Edited by MareLooke

Selling items AT their price is by no means "being greedy", underselling because you manage to make loads of cash someway and want to annoy people having more trouble keeipng their cash balance right otoh IS being selfish.

I never made loads of cash. In most MMO's I was constant broke. I normally had enough credits/gold to for repairs and thats it. For some reason people think they need lots of credits most of the time this is just not true. You need credits to for repairs, skills and to get from A to B. But that is about it. Everything else is just luxury.

I don't pay attention to how much each mission costs for the items when putting stuff on the GTN. It's too much hassle to keep track of it all, and when I am selling on the GTN I am trying to free up bag/cargo space not make a profit. I do a simple sell to vendor price + trade costs + some extra = end price.

Crew skills and doing missions are meant to be money sinks, not a fantastic way to make a profit. Send your crewmate out to find hyposyringes or something and they will always come back with less then you could actually buy vendor for cost the mission.

ok, for pepole not comming from Kitty online. this is called market pvp.

if someone is undercutting you. screw them over. buy evrything they put out. relist at higer profit. then u make iskies from all items, and they loose isk.

if the market is in a state that there is not high enough demand to buy all the gifts that are availble then this will not work, and the price of 95 isk is reasonbel. cuse even with the ****ed up market mechanic in this game. there is some room for supply and demand.

Believe me, I know the feeling, it's why this thread exists. Starting with grade1 was meant to be an example, but somehow people mistook it for the main issue.

ok, for pepole not comming from Kitty online. this is called market pvp.

if someone is undercutting you. screw them over. buy evrything they put out. relist at higer profit. then u make iskies from all items, and they loose isk.

if the market is in a state that there is not high enough demand to buy all the gifts that are availble then this will not work, and the price of 95 isk is reasonbel. cuse even with the ****ed up market mechanic in this game. there is some room for supply and demand.

Uh-huh...Except it simply isn't possible to buy out dozens of pages, and no, 95 isn't reasonable either. You'd know that had you bothered to read past the title.

I can't speak for the OP, but what amuses/saddens me and puts the irony in my diet:

The people who call this "chump change" and say "duh, that's how you do business!" are the same people complaining that they can't make money off of crafting.

"Buy high, sell low, if you bother to sell at all" is your problem, not "poor design" or "some guy I know says he made a bunch of money off this skill and even though he can't prove it, I fear he may be right and so HIS crew skill must be OP. NERF PL0X!"

Uh-huh...Except it simply isn't possible to buy out dozens of pages, and no, 95 isn't reasonable either. You'd know that had you bothered to read past the title.

IF there is no demand, prices plumit! this is known. so if there are several pages of gifts, and supply is higher than demand. then dont complain about low prices. this is as it should be.

if u have 20 plus pages of gifts, and each day only 2-3 pages get sold. then prices are going down. to fix this is something BW can do. by removing gift vendors, and capping gifts thru quests. or inrease benefits from companions so we all will want to get the affection to highest lvl.

the price is always resonbel in a supply and demand system. if u think it is to low. buy all gifts. sell them for 6000% markup, and evrythime some dude puts out more for 95 isk. u just buy it at once. and relist it. that way u will have some chance of getting the investet isk back. u will in effect create a monopoly.

dont complain about players listing low prices. just do something about it. if u arent intrested in playing this part of the game, then dont.

I can't speak for the OP, but what amuses/saddens me and puts the irony in my diet:

The people who call this "chump change" and say "duh, that's how you do business!" are the same people complaining that they can't make money off of crafting.

"Buy high, sell low, if you bother to sell at all" is your problem, not "poor design" or "some guy I know says he made a bunch of money off this skill and even though he can't prove it, I fear he may be right and so HIS crew skill must be OP. NERF PL0X!"

I do expect that my crafting skill will make me money. I consider it a time and credits sink. Normally I just vendor all grade 1 and 2 gifts, but I try to avoid missions that give me gifts except when they are the cheapest missions for a skill level.

I do expect that my crafting skill will make me money. I consider it a time and credits sink. Normally I just vendor all grade 1 and 2 gifts, but I try to avoid missions that give me gifts except when they are the cheapest missions for a skill level.

this i agree in. and the problem here is BW have given out to much supply. evrythingcan be bought from vendors or pvp things, or crafting or drops or questrewards.

Give us less items, and less supply. let the players make the supply and demand.

I never made loads of cash. In most MMO's I was constant broke. I normally had enough credits/gold to for repairs and thats it. For some reason people think they need lots of credits most of the time this is just not true. You need credits to for repairs, skills and to get from A to B. But that is about it. Everything else is just luxury.

I couldn't afford my speeder at lvl50 and thanks to people that think selling at a loss is a good idea I won't be able to make any money from the GTN with my chosen professions, so I guess I'll be using the lvl40 speeder for quite a while still.

Judging by the insane repair bills I probably won't be able to raid because one full repair is going to take away around 40% of the money I have now (40K repair bills are FUN) and yes, at lvl50 after buying my skills I only had a bit over 100k left which, judging by the rest of the guild, is the rule rather than the exception.

I can forget about ever making enough cash to buy my last inventory expansion or a 3rd Cargo Bay for my ship (200k and 400k respectively).

In WoW I managed to get around without being forced to bother with the AH (during all of TBC I sold like 6 enchants or so...and I had some rare ones...). I'm not interested in "playing" the GTN or becoming filthy rich, I just want to make a reasonable profit on stuff I make/acquire so I can get around. Of course, if everyone sells their junk at rock bottom prices...

Doing all dailies nets around 100k I hear (will be forced to do them today for the first time, I HATE daily quests, they're a horribly boring and uninspired way to earn money and I doubt SWToR will change my mind on that), that's just enough for 2 full gear repairs, probably 3 if you count the drops from mobs.

And since I can barely afford the stuff I need I definitely won't be buying stuff from others. The circle is complete.

I'm obviously dramatizing a bit but this is what it's like to be a lvl50 PvE player for a lot of people. Enjoy.