The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The PvP thing....

Cheeseblaster

OK, did my first PvP Warzone yesterday as a Lvl 15 Trooper/Vanguard. Thought it'd be interesting. I never played WoW or anything so this is new to me. Well, after getting taken out with 3 swipes of saber like nothing I realized everybody else in the Warzone was lvl 30+ and I suck something fierce at it.

When did everyone start playing PvP Warzones? I've played a few more while lowering my expectations to just surviving for more than a minute. Git through one just defending a turret with some lvl 50's....

I've gain a ton of experience points, credits, and some decent gear by doing it. So should I just keep trucking along till i'm a level that can actually do something and keep my expectations low?

Keep at it if you enjoy it. The scaling means that if your gear is ok for your level, you will be able to make a contribution. Don't run off alone though as you lack some of the utility abilities to survive at low levels.

I think it is more likely a cast of "doing it wrong" more than gear and lvl.

Sure it is harder, but I've never had experiences of getting kill that fast.

You gotta remember though, trooper's best range is NOT actually melee, it is actually 10m. 10m is where you deny your opponent's attacks and maximizes your own.

keep on trucking, and make some friends while doing it. the best part of pvp is coordination in a group against a skilled group of opponents, and winning.

knowing your limits is important in pvp. stay in your limits and work with your team. do what's fun to you though, it is a game.

p.s. yeah you're gonna be their ****** for a while. don't worry, vanguard is a good class.

Edited by ururururu

I think it is more likely a cast of "doing it wrong" more than gear and lvl.

Sure it is harder, but I've never had experiences of getting kill that fast.

You gotta remember though, trooper's best range is NOT actually melee, it is actually 10m. 10m is where you deny your opponent's attacks and maximizes your own.

Thanks for the tip. I've started going a more defensive posture (guarding stuff instead of attacking) and I do last longer. As long as I'm in a group i'm good. Still have a problem if I get attacked on my own though :D Even if I try to keep range between me and the attacker one jump and the Sith is pretty much on me. I'll have to make sure I don't get caught on my own...

keep on trucking, and make some friends while doing it. the best part of pvp is coordination in a group against a skilled group of opponents, and winning.

knowing your limits is important in pvp. stay in your limits and work with your team. do what's fun to you though, it is a game.

p.s. yeah you're gonna be their ****** for a while. don't worry, vanguard is a good class.

Thanks.. I'll keep trucking. PvP is fun while i'm still alive. I think staying with a group is probably most important at this point from what people have said. Getting caught by myself by 2 or 3 Sith hurts like h*** :D

My perspective on it is going to be different, as I didn't have that problem. I'm currently roughly the same level as the majority of the player base on my server, and I dominate game after game after game. I'm currently shield spec, and with even 1 good healer, I'm virtually unkillable, even against 50's.

My perspective on it is going to be different, as I didn't have that problem. I'm currently roughly the same level as the majority of the player base on my server, and I dominate game after game after game. I'm currently shield spec, and with even 1 good healer, I'm virtually unkillable, even against 50's.

I think part of it is what aRtFuL said. I've never played this type of game so the strategy and combat tactics are new to me. Once I can get a combat routine down t hat works for me I should do better...

I've started moving my points over to Shield Spec, seems the best course of action from what i've been reading.

people on forums always talk so much. ooh I'm the best ever. my epeen is massive. who knows why, I guess cause they feel insecure in real life. if they were really good they wouldn't bother trying to convince people of facts.

it's a game, have fun with it. it takes years to get really good at pvp, so you'll be at a disadvantage. stay conservative and you'll do ok. and yeah 50s with gear are going to eat your soul. on those matches try not to get too frustrated.

some tips

1.) take slicing, biochemical, and bioanalysis. get the purple medpack (8, 16, 24 I believe) as soon as you can... it helps a lot. you must reverse engineer it.

2.) keep any orange gear and don't replace it. instead replace your mods regularly. it is both cheaper and more effective than replacing the entire gear. this is especially true of your gun barrel. make it a priority to upgrade as soon as you can. buy them in advance if you have the $.

3.) shield or assault spec. tactics requires very much experience to be effective.

4.) watch some videos on youtube.. if you get owned find out which class and see what they do. develop a coutner-strategy.

5.) most important -- get in a guild and get a microphone. get on ventrillo or teamspeak. mmo suck without talking to people. you can meet people best doing flashpoints imo.

Edited by ururururu

Ya I've noticed a lot of bragging out there. Thanks for being willing to help me out!

I'm in a guild and have ventrillo.. so i've got some help through there too.

One thing i do need a strategy for is getting hit from behind by someone using/cloak shadow. After the initial hit they seem to be able to run circles around me so I can't get a good shot at em.

Thanx for the tip on the mods.. I haven't found an orange blaster yet though, can you buy them? I have been saving mods in cargo.

Ya I've noticed a lot of bragging out there. Thanks for being willing to help me out!

I'm in a guild and have ventrillo.. so i've got some help through there too.

One thing i do need a strategy for is getting hit from behind by someone using/cloak shadow. After the initial hit they seem to be able to run circles around me so I can't get a good shot at em.

Thanx for the tip on the mods.. I haven't found an orange blaster yet though, can you buy them? I have been saving mods in cargo.

turn your SPRINT back on after they attack you initially. i couldn't figure this out at first either. good luck and have fun

this assumes you are shield spec

1a.) hit them with stun grenade (cyro), if possible.

1b.) stockstrike to apply snare.. 100% chance. do it anyway if you have cyro even though you already applied snare with the stun grenade. stockstrike is your best attack.

2.) start kiting away.. always face them so you can keep attacking and they dont get "hti your back" bonus. (especially important with dual lightsaber staff guys). I do this by holding down right mouse button and w/a/d. other people do it with keyboard only (clickers). up to you, everyone's different in UI. the result is what matters. face your attacks always in every mmo even while running away.

3.) while kiting away hit them with sticky grenade.

4.) alternate hammer shot, ion pulse (4% damage reduction), and high impact bolt.

even if you're gonna get your *** kicked you'll never win if you play scared of dying. play to hurt them as bad as possible even if you're likely to die.

Edited by ururururu

I haven't found an orange blaster yet though, can you buy them? I have been saving mods in cargo.

Some quests give them but you can also get them from the commendation weapon vendors. Something on which to spend those useless commendations.

Enjoy PVP - you'll never want to go back to killing AIs.

Some quests give them but you can also get them from the commendation weapon vendors. Something on which to spend those useless commendations.

Enjoy PVP - you'll never want to go back to killing AIs.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into that tonight. Do you know what level you have to be for most of those? I've noticed alot of PVP vendors have stuff for lvl 40+ and i'm only up to 18.

Ya, i've noticed after spending so much time in PVP this week the normal Tooper missions aren't as scary as they once were (though I'm only in Justicar at the moment).

I've heard the next missions after Coruscant get more interesting though..

Ha ha, listen to me, only been playing for like 4 weeks andI sound like i'm getting cocky.. :p

Edited by Cheeseblaster

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into that tonight. Do you know what level you have to be for most of those? I've noticed alot of PVP vendors have stuff for lvl 40+ and i'm only up to 18.

The planet commendation vendors sell gear appropriate for level of planet. You'll find them two doors down from the cantina under the senate tower. Also replicated at Fleet HQ - every planet except our starting one has a vendor there.

I'm enjoying the main storyline so far - looking forward to it getting even better!