What is the point of the respawn delay?

StingingVelvet

I know they are designed this way and I personally find it insulting. That said I am playing this one anyway because I love the story, IP and developer. I don't plan to make it a habit ;)

Anyway, I don't think the death penalty can really add up that much, can it? I guess it's possible.

You said in other games you lost progress. The net effect is the same here. Old school games like Everquest had you loose experience and even de-level. In your case imagine your dying caused you to lose two full levels of progress? I can assure you it was not a better mechanic.

The penalty should be influencing you to exam your gameplay so you die less. It does not seem to be working. If you do work on dying less those delays go away. I have never had more than seconds to wait when dying

Edited by RealAeiouy

The penalty should be influencing you to exam your gameplay so you die less. It does not seem to be working. If you do work on dying less those delays go away. I have never had more than seconds to wait when dying

Again, for the 5th or so time, I am talking about bugs that cause me to die. I have only waited 10 minutes twice, both times due to bugs.

Like I said, bugs. Has nothing to do with how I play. Though often you don't know if you can really take on that elite or not until you try, so that can cause deaths as well.

In any case I don't want a lecture on how to solo MMOs, my only question is: why actively annoy the player? Doesn't seem like a good way to keep people playing.

Again, it is only annoying if you die constantly. Most people use the annoyance to improve their gameplay and die less. New tactics, better gear etc etc.

I would much rather play more of the game to make back my progress than sit there watching a timer for 10 minutes thinking about how a glitch caused me to die in the first place.

You say that but you are wrong. Many of us played like that for years and you would not like it especially given the fact you die ridiculously often. You would be stuck at level 10 forever.

I would much rather play more of the game to make back my progress than sit there watching a timer for 10 minutes thinking about how a glitch caused me to die in the first place.

1) If you're waiting for the probe for 10 minutes, you've died over 3-4 times in the span of a few minutes. That is precisely what the mechanic is there for. Working as intended.

2) If you don't want to wait 10 minutes.... go to the medcenter. There, now you're "playing more of the game" instead of waiting.

Fairly certain now this is a troll people (depending partially on his answer). Might want to move along.

You say that but you are wrong. Many of us played like that for years and you would not like it especially given the fact you die ridiculously often. You would be stuck at level 10 forever.

I'd like to note questing is a good way to earn exp. Grinding would take much longer.

So if you had a very unlucky streak you'd be regrinding your exp for a LONG time.

The issue I have with it seems to be that the only times I seem to die is during combat in Phases when I'm going up against an elite a few levels above me. Now, the Rez center always seems to be a lot further away then it should be....and I basically have to fight my way back through all the mobs outside the phase that respawn in 2-4 minutes.

IMO, While in a Phased Zone, you should be able to rez at the beginning of the phase.

Again, for the 5th or so time, I am talking about bugs that cause me to die. I have only waited 10 minutes twice, both times due to bugs.

How can bugs cause you to die over and over and over and over again. If something is bugged why would you keep doing it?

No tactics or gear can stop you from dying when the enemy can hurt you but you can't attack it due to a bug.

You did not get a 10 minute timer because of a bug unless you did the same thing over and over again.

This is your first mmog and you are arguing with people who have 10+ years experience about what you are doing. It has already been explained death is intended to have some consequence and thus players should try not to die. Most of us believe that to be a totally acceptable mechanic, not wanting to die. For some reason you do not

What will not happen is the mechanic will not change so either learn to play the game as it is designed or quit.

I'd like to note questing is a good way to earn exp. Grinding would take much longer.

So if you had a very unlucky streak you'd be regrinding your exp for a LONG time.

Yeah an eq penalty in modern games would be horrible because you could not re-quest it

You did not get a 10 minute timer because of a bug unless you did the same thing over and over again.

If I need to defeat an enemy to progress and I can't damage him at all due to a bug, what is your mighty solution to stop me from dying? I can either keep trying to kill him or quit playing.

Even if I was hypothetically dying due to my own incompetence though, it doesn't really change my opinion. I play games to have fun. Timers stopping you from getting right back to the game are not fun, period. Of course neither is jogging slowly across intentionally over-large areas either, so I guess it's yet another way to drag out the game time as someone else said.

It's certainly not my genre, I never pretended it was. I don't want to be told to like the genre because I never will. I just wanted to know if there was any real excuse for the death penalty from an enjoyment perspective, and there is not. So question answered.