From a Goldman Analyst Perspective on SWTOR

Bodypull

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, you don't care if he lies to gain credibility?! LOL.

Then you imply SWTOR needs massive improvement but you're going to play EIGHT CLASSES TO 50!

Wow.

I didn't say it doesn't have strong points. The leveling is fantastic. Truly the most fun I've had in an MMO. Once I hit 50 was when the honeymoon ended for me. The game is a drag at level 50 for all the reasons he mentioned. I'm already starting an alt because frankly I couldn't be bothered with level 50 content because of how lackluster it is.

What I'm hoping for, because I love the game at it's early levels, is for the game to get it's **** together by the time I'm finished playing those other classes through. BW has my money, but not everyone is as nerdy as me when it comes to enjoying a good story (which is something BW has always done well.)

I dont care who he is. I happen to agree with most of what he says.

I note that almost all objections to this post are over his credentials, not the content...yet to see a single decent rebuttal.

That would mean that I have to read his drivel. I read better insights into the world of business in the Frankfurt airport toilet stalls.

Why would a Goldman-Sachs analyst post on the SWTOR forums citing reasons why he thinks the game should/will fail?

I have an idea: Maybe he wants it to fail as he has told investors that it will?

Why would anyone who has foreseen that this game will crash and burn to bits decide to still purchase a copy of the game if he has absolutely no belief in it?

Two important questions that need an answer.

Now, what do I think? His criticism is not off, it is painfully obvious that the game is lacking, but I don't think it is lacking as bad as he makes it out to be. Oh, you levelled to 50 in 2 weeks and then complain that the game is a grind while saluting World of Warcraft for not being so? Oh, haha, there your credibility disappeared inot thin air.

I remember well how I had to grind for WEEKS to get my Shattered Sun Offensive reputation, quests without any immersion or thought behind them: "Kill x of those, bomb y of those, gather z of those" "Why? "We don't know". The entire concept of WoW is that you have a constant carrot on a stick in front of your face because the game doesn't provide you with any other content. In fact, that is how MMOs work, though some (SWTOR included) do it more elegantly than others.

My bet is that this isn't an analyst by any stretch and that this is just another disgruntled former WoW-fan who hoped for a WoW-copy set in space with lightsabers but didn't find it.

your post make sense but i want to ask you a question. can this game compete with the current wow

Then perhaps you need to read what real analysts say on that exact point.

Maybe I do, perhaps you'd care to enlighten me. Because I know a thing or two about economics and I happen to know that most schools of thought would agree with what I said earlier.

Brilliant, interesting post OP.

You've said everything and more of what i myself thought

(although my expertise stems more from the technical / game development side of things).

If you're still reading the thread i would like your outlook on another launch issue,

namely the green zone/red zone, the "we will not sell to half the globe, import if you like"

strategy that EA/Bioware seem to have employed for one reason or another.

I personally thought of it as a slap in the face and a terrible way to launch a game that

depends on attracting a large amount of players, but i might be wrong.

Your thoughts?

Edited by serpentu

they're competing against WoW NOW.

Well according to numbers rolling in right "now" ... this game is picking up steam. WoW is on the downtick.

So competing right now, January 5, 2012, this game's looking SWEET!

(If your response is "come back to that in 3 months, I need to reiterate your own words, this game is competing against WoW right now. So looking at things as they are now ... the game's doing great. In 3 months, there'll be bug fixes and a content patch ... that's even scarier, especially when you consider WoW's answer for all that is Panda monks).

I don't care if he is a real GS analyst or not, it doesn't matter because he's right. This is what people don't understand is they aren't competing against WoW 7 years ago, they're competing against WoW NOW. You need to release a polished game on release, with most if not all of the features one has come to expect from WoW or else your game will crater.

BW I still think can save it, this update about the state of PVP and the coming patch is really reassuring, and even if this game DOES totally fail I'm still going to play all 8 classes and their story lines all the way through. So I'm here for a while that's for sure. But they do need to get their **** together, because the honeymoon is over.

You are right on the money with this one, I don't understand how 90% of the people posting here fail to comprehend this simple concept.

Yes. There is room for more than just WoW.

No, there isn't. The market for MMOs is saturated and is not expanding any time soon. WoW controls the vast majority of the total market share, therefore there is no room for anything but WoW.

Sorry the OP is a liar. Goldman would fire him for this post if he worked there. He tied the company name to a personal post and he gave away advice for free on a forum that should be going to paying clients. There is no way he is a Goldman Sachs analyst and if that is a lie then I have to doubt he is an analyst at all.

If you weren't having fun playing the game, why the hell would you level a toon to 50. Better yet why are you still here? Why post on this forum if this game is such a failure? Because you have a certain level of investment in the brand, the company, or the MMO genre. That is what prompts the success or failure of an MMO. Not your "Analyst's Perspective" and QQ, but the investment of the community around it.

Maybe I do, perhaps you'd care to enlighten me. Because I know a thing or two about economics and I happen to know that most schools of thought would agree with what I said earlier.

Google it? Its not exactly rocket science or badly reported.

I dont care who he is. I happen to agree with most of what he says.

I note that almost all objections to this post are over his credentials, not the content...yet to see a single decent rebuttal.

Liars aren't worthy of serious rebuttals. If someone lies to you when you first meet them in real life you stop taking them seriously and walk away.

You don't debate them over the merits of their lies.

What this was quoting.

All of the attacks on the OP are his credentials -- not what he actually says. Typical for this forum.

everything he sais as credentials was discussed all over again and again, he brings absolutely nothing to this. also, he pretends he does analysis in fact he does criticism, his analysis is very poor, people already pointed out even in this thread.

how can you be so gullible?

Cannot rebut an opinion, its not like he uses provable facts.

If you say so.

I'm not going as far as him and saying that the game is doomed, but to act like this game is bulletproof is foolish. BW needs to start taking this **** seriously or they're going to bleed more subscribers.

Losing subscribers is part of every major release, that's not a major indicator at all. Fact of the matter is, however, is that this game needs to be a lot better to maintain even a fraction of the market share it has.

Well, I read the OP up to the point where he said that he 'predicted the demise of Vanguard, Aion, FF14 and Warhammer'. Each of those games have problems, but none have actually met any such 'demise'. The closest one is Vanguard, which has basically not been updated in two years, but the servers are still up, and you can go and open an account and play it, if you so choose. So, if the OP has predicted the 'demise' of four MMOGs that haven't actually happened, but he thinks they have, why should we actually listen to anything he has to say?