Best Graphics card for the money

Jovid

I am thinking of buying a new PC and was wondering what Graphics Card to get. I have read the minimum spec but I want better than that, so my question is:

What is the best card without breaking the bank?

e.g. would it be worth buying a better card than this, "AMD 6450 512Mb"

AMD is set to release their next gen cards (the high end one 7970) on like the 9th or so. So maybe a few weeks after that, the lower priced ones will come out. I would definitely wait till those come out before buying to see what the price/performance will be like.

I think that I spent $280 for my ATI 6950 2gb. It has chewed up every game that I have thrown at it on max settings.

Battlefield 3

Skyrim

Starcraft 2

Anyways, if you are going to spend money on a graphics card, spend the extra so that you are not in this situation again in a year or two.

The graphics card will also transfer over to a new system, so if you decide to catch your computer up to graphics card, you can.

AMD is set to release their next gen cards (the high end one 7970) on like the 9th or so. So maybe a few weeks after that, the lower priced ones will come out. I would definitely wait till those come out before buying to see what the price/performance will be like.

Good advice, it's possible the 6950/6970, and even the GTX 580 will see a price drop. Maybe not as much as some are hoping but it's worth waiting to find out.

Edited by daemian

I think that I spent $280 for my ATI 6950 2gb. It has chewed up every game that I have thrown at it on max settings.

Battlefield 3

Skyrim

Starcraft 2

Anyways, if you are going to spend money on a graphics card, spend the extra so that you are not in this situation again in a year or two.

The graphics card will also transfer over to a new system, so if you decide to catch your computer up to graphics card, you can.

I'm very happy with my 6950 as well - and apparently the next gen is coming out in a few days so there should be a massive price drop on them. My 6950 runs SWTOR great at 1920x1200 with forced AA - but there is a definite fps drop when you move up to 2560x1600. Hardly anyone has monitors with that resolution though - I only got one for professional use. For gaming, a 32" 1080p screen would be better.

BTW, Skyrim runs quite well at 2560x1600 on Ultra High settings with a single 6950 - the card definitely has a lot of juice.

I'm very happy with my 6950 as well - and apparently the next gen is coming out in a few days so there should be a massive price drop on them. My 6950 runs SWTOR great at 1920x1200 with forced AA - but there is a definite fps drop when you move up to 2560x1600. Hardly anyone has monitors with that resolution though - I only got one for professional use. For gaming, a 32" 1080p screen would be better.

BTW, Skyrim runs quite well at 2560x1600 on Ultra High settings with a single 6950 - the card definitely has a lot of juice.

Yeah I got a 6950 and unlocked the shaders to 6970 on the Gigabyte card. I run on the max settings 112 FPS. I also enbaled AA in the driver and a few other options. I get at worst with those settings, in PVP, 32FPS. Card was 240 when I bought it in December, over clocks well and stays very cool (50c @ 865MHz).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.