Suggestion for settling Purple Color Crystal rare/common availabiltiy debate

ErikModi

Let's consider settling this in a democratic fashion. One thread is made for pro-common purple color crystals, one thread made for pro-rare purple color crystals. The only posts in each forum are /signs by those who support that position, and each person is allowed to post only once. And the end of, say, a week, the thread with the most posts is the winner.

While I'm certain this is not officially enforceable, the final results could give the devs a very good benchmark for the prevailing community opinion.

Let's consider settling this in a democratic fashion. One thread is made for pro-common purple color crystals, one thread made for pro-rare purple color crystals. The only posts in each forum are /signs by those who support that position, and each person is allowed to post only once. And the end of, say, a week, the thread with the most posts is the winner.

While I'm certain this is not officially enforceable, the final results could give the devs a very good benchmark for the prevailing community opinion.

There can be both.

There can be a common purple color, and rare drop shades.

That can be done with EVERY color, Including Magenta, Violet, Blue, Cyan, Green, Yellow, Red. All of them.

There is no need to limit it in this way, there never was.

I agree, but there are a number of people who seem to like the idea that getting a purple crystal requires raiding or PvP. What I'm proposing is a simple, side-by-side comparison for how many want common colors, how many want rare colors.

All basic colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple) should be common and easy to come by. If they want to make super rare crystals with special effects like different color cores, auras, lightning, etc, then thats great, but people should be able to get the basic color crystal they desire on their character without jumping through hoops. Edited by Vandyan

All basic colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple) should be common and easy to come by. If they want to make super rare crystals with special effects like different color cores, auras, lightning, etc, then thats great, but people should be able to get the basic color crystal they desire on their character without jumping through hoops.

I agree 100%

All basic colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple) should be common and easy to come by. If they want to make super rare crystals with special effects like different color cores, auras, lightning, etc, then thats great, but people should be able to get the basic color crystal they desire on their character without jumping through hoops.

+1

I was shocked when i heard purple is rare crystal. I understand there has to be something rare for endgame loot table, but there are so many varieties already that can be ingame.

White example or silver. I just recieved cyan lightsaber and that i agree should need soem work to get. Magneta also is not very common and not in movies.

What is most depressing is that when i leveled up i saw every second sith npc mob or boss i fought wielding purple lightsaber.

IF purple crystal should be rare then dont put that on every second/third or elite mob hands..... like hey its common for npc but not for you. Not nice move from Bioware.

Edited by Divona

I thought the purple ones were more 'freak' from the creation process? At least that's what I read on the bio for Mace Windu.

Sith red is used because of the crystals being artificially created rather than harvested like the blue, green, yellow and the less common orange.

Not true: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hurrikaine_crystal

Sith crystals are indeed mostly synthetic in nature, but synthetic crystals can be made in any color. Red is simply the easiest to make: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Synthetic_lightsaber_crystal

Well the book I bought from B&N, for my kids, had false info in it than. I shall return and deman a refund. :mad:

If I had been in charge of designing Colour Crystal Recipies, I would have done it somewhat differently from the current way.

How it works now:

Currently, gathering colour crystals (I'll use the term capitalized for the Saber/Weapon part and uncapped for the crafting material) through Archeology yields three colours: Red, Green and Blue. Red is Darksided, Green and Blue are Lightsided. Yellow and Orange colour crystals can be gotten from Treasure Hunting missions. Yellow is Neutral (the only craftable Neutral colour) and Orange is Darksided.

When crafting colour crystals into Colour Crystals, each grade/tier has six (two per colour for +End and +Crit) Premium and two/four (same deal) Prototype recipes. Red, Green and Blue for Premiums, Yellow for Prototypes at the lower tiers and Yellow and Orange for the higher tiers.

Other Colour Crystals cannot be crafted, only found.

The end result is that there are two Darksided colours, two Lightsided colours and one neutral colour.

Of the Lightsided colours, both recipes are Premium, while of the Darksided colours one is Premium and the other Prototype. The Neutral recipe is Prototype.

Artificers who want to craft Colour Crystals for Darksided characters will find that 2/3 of the colour crystals they find through Archeology are unusable to them. They can use both of the colour crystals gotten through Treasure Hunting, but they won't be able to get any Orange Colour Crystal recipes they can use until fairly late.

Artificers who want to craft Colour Crystals for Lightsided characters will find that 1/3 of the colour crystals they find through Archeology are unusable to them and 1 of the colour crystals gotten through Trasure Hunting will be too.

How I would have done it:

I would have made Red, Blue and Yellow the three gatherable colour crystals, one Darksided, one Lightsided and one Neutral.

There would be no colour crystals gathered through Treasure Hunting, since Treasure Hunting is not a Gathering skill anyway.

Each grade/tier of Artifice recipes would have three Premium (-RE> Prototype -RE> Artifact) Colour Crystal recipes: Red (Darksided), Blue (Lightsided) and Yellow (Neutral) and three Prototype (-RE> Artifact) Colour Crystal recipes, Orange (Darksided), Green (Lightsided) and Purple (Neutral).

Red Colour Crystal recipes would be made with red colour crystals.

Blue Colour Crystal recipes would be made with blue colour crystals.

Yellow Colour Crystal recipes would be made with yellow colour crystals.

Orange Colour Crystal recipes would be made with red and yellow colour crystals.

Green Colour Crystal recipes would be made with blue and yellow colour crystals.

Purple Colour Crystal recipes would be made with red and blue colour crystals.

This would:

1. Give both Force aligments an equal number of usable colours (four).
  2. Spread those colours over an equal number of Premium and Protoype recipes per grade (two per colour per grade for both qualities).
  3. Ensure that Artificers would be able to use all colour crystals they gather regardless of Force Alignment.
  4. And thus keep the GTN from being flooded with crystals of one alignment or the other like it is now (on my server at least).

Other colours would still be drop only (but adding more colours to the recipies later would be easier).

That colour mixing isn't how it works in the lore, but then again in the lore they also don't put lightsaber crystals in Blasters, Vibroswords and heavy weapons and it takes weeks or months to attune to a single saber crystal rather than the current 'swap and swing' method.

Bumping for voteage.

Seems like the purple crystals are getting more common, in that I've actually seen a few. Maybe we can start getting some solid feedback on how available they actually are, though I doubt it will satisfy most of the Pro-Common crowd.