What is the role of a Sentinal?

XeroJin

Us sentinels lack in everything. We just are meant to truck a single target, and we have moderately good interrupts, but no stuns really. I just look for a healing sorcerer in a wz and just stay on him to give him a good work out.

You have to love what WoW did to players -- every class now has to be special, unique snowflake at something.

Sents fit the DPS role, something every group needs. They do a good job at it. Welcome to TOR.

All I'm saying is that we should be good at something. If we're all equal, that's perfectly fine with me too.

Just trying to figure out what kind of role I should be taking.

For example, troopers can't interrupt bosses at all, but we kill trash like no body's business.

Also I haven't played WoW in like, 5 years.

Edited by XeroJin

Sentinel's are almost exclusively damage, as a secondary role, there really isn't anything that pops to the forefront.

Force Kick is a cheap, low cooldown interrupt (even lower CD if you're Watchman). Force Stasis can also interrupt as well as lifting/stunning most enemies but has a considerably longer cooldown.

As far as CC, that's a weak point. We get Stun Droid, which can take a droid enemy out of the fight for up to 60 seconds, I believe, but that's about it.

As far as threat management, the Sentinel doesn't have any skills to build threat (which is good because we can be somewhat flimsy) and has Force Camouflage later than can be used to shed some threat.

AOE damage also isn't that spectacular. Force Sweep does OK damage and can stun weaker enemies, while Force Sweep can hit enemies in a cone in front of you, albeit for less damage than Slash on a single target.

As a Watchman you can get a small group heal through use of Zen with Juyo form, although it's not to be relied upon to support a team - it really helps as a small boost in extended fights.

So really, it's damage. Pick a target and pound the crap out of it. I think somewhere else described it as a stealth-less rogue and that's probably a fair assessment. Pick a single guy and wear him down.

In PvP: Good interrupts, great at killing healers, solid all around damage class.

In PvE: good dps but overall its worse than ranged classes because bioware decided to give each boss 8 mechanics to screw melee over and decided to make it so that our only gap closer doesn't work half the time on the final phase of soa...

OUR ONLY USE in raids is inspiration, theres no other logical reason to have us in a raid group, but luckily inspiration is enough sometimes.

Before release and Beta, when I thought of a Sentinel class (dual lightsabers), I think of a melee combat jedi with very high awareness able to do damage to multiple enemies quickly. I think of a jedi reflecting/deflecting blasters fire with both sabers more effectively and fighting off two other jedi at the same time.

Now, I know gameplay mechanics prevent this to some extent, but I was disappointed to find yet another single-target dps class with little to no natural defenses. Gunslingers (the only other pure dps class) have a single target dps tree, aoe tree, and mobile tree. They are very versatile in their play styles depending on the skill trees. But with sentinel, I feel like there is a DoT single target tree, direct damage single target tree and a pvp-oriented tree. I haven't tried focus, so it might have a bit more aoe, but I don't think they get any additional aoe abilities.

I like the potential, animations and class stories, but I just think the overall design for the class is not much different than a dps guardian.

then would you guys suggest a guardian or sentinel?

Guardian. Can't really think of anything that favours Sent over Guardian other than ascetics and fact that you'll never be mistaken for a tank if all you want to do is dps.

Sentinel's are almost exclusively damage, as a secondary role, there really isn't anything that pops to the forefront.

Force Kick is a cheap, low cooldown interrupt (even lower CD if you're Watchman). Force Stasis can also interrupt as well as lifting/stunning most enemies but has a considerably longer cooldown.

As far as CC, that's a weak point. We get Stun Droid, which can take a droid enemy out of the fight for up to 60 seconds, I believe, but that's about it.

As far as threat management, the Sentinel doesn't have any skills to build threat (which is good because we can be somewhat flimsy) and has Force Camouflage later than can be used to shed some threat.

AOE damage also isn't that spectacular. Force Sweep does OK damage and can stun weaker enemies, while Force Sweep can hit enemies in a cone in front of you, albeit for less damage than Slash on a single target.

As a Watchman you can get a small group heal through use of Zen with Juyo form, although it's not to be relied upon to support a team - it really helps as a small boost in extended fights.

So really, it's damage. Pick a target and pound the crap out of it. I think somewhere else described it as a stealth-less rogue and that's probably a fair assessment. Pick a single guy and wear him down.

We get Awe 6 second stun