The Sniper's Handbook

Karaokelove

Also wanted to throw out my own two cents about Instant Snipes and energy management. Maybe things change at 50 and you're suddenly always in energy debt, but at least for me from 20-43 I haven't had any trouble with energy. I'm using Sniper's Nest, but not Energy Tanks, and both the Instant Snipe and 1.5s Ambush on a crit abilities.

In most PvE fights I don't need to worry at all, but in longer ones I'll hit Adrenaline Probe once I've bottomed out. If absurdly long fights Advanced Recon will be used to recharge Adrenaline Probe immediately, but that's a rare circumstance.

In PvP I've found things to be the opposite--Fights don't last long enough to run out of energy. When six dudes are wailing on you, it doesn't really matter what your energy level is :p But more realistically, if you're staying out of harm's way then people are going to break LoS, get out of range, or otherwise fizzle your casted abilities, which winds up refunding the energy.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with both guides and why I found myself disagreeing with skills for both website builds is that they seem to be tunnel visioned on marksman tree or single dps.

I can't disagree with the great abilities of the marksman but all skills seem to be based on that. Now I know the OP is speced at engineer and he's saying its also a single dps machine as well as some aoe.

Don' troll me because I think this is a great guide that took a lot of time and simply unfinished and I could talk about builds all day. So to put my hand in the fire and get angry feedback, let me tell you what im rolling.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400bZruMboRbZGbMkrbhz.1

A couple of key things. This is my mobile bombardier class (A hybrid). One of my main abilities is Frag grenade and the engineers toolbelt (which is one of my problems with the OP build)

Frag grenade is one of my bread and butter abilities which replaces SNIPE. Here's why-

- Nearly spammable instant attack, totally mobile

- +8% damage with targeted demolitions

- +30% critical damage with experimental explosion

- +6% crit lethality

- knockdown for PVE

- Large AOE for players, bindpoints

My build is based on Frag, corrosive grenade, interagation probe and toxic dart mixed with Cull.

My guess is that single target, i do less damage than a marksmen and especially burst damage BUT this build is meant to move and stay at the 30 m range popping in to drop dots and keeping your distance.

Its easy to drop your dots, cull and then take off with them having -60% run speed snare on them with the bombs.

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the constructive feedback! I'm glad some of you are finding my guide useful.

As far as the alacrity and instant-snipe issues go, I have a feeling it will be a matter of debate among Snipers for a long time to come. If you're using instant-snipes and cooldown-reduction skills and it's working for you, then by all means don't change a thing. What I have posted is simply based on research that I've done as well as personal experience, but there will always be exceptions. I definitely don't think taking such skills is necessarily going to hurt your character build, I just think there are other skills more worthy of point investment. Again, though, thank you for the intelligent feedback. I probably need to take another look at such skills.

@Easelman: That really does look like an interesting build. I look forward to hearing how it pans out. From my research I've been unable to find any information validating hybrid builds, so please let us know if it works out. I will say that yours is the most focused hybrid I've seen, so far. I think the focus on guerrilla tactics is an awesome idea, and I hope it turns out to be a viable build.

The only real issue I personally have with mobility builds is they fact that they try to get around the cover mechanic, which is basically the backbone of the class. It would be like a Sith Sorcerer trying to focus on lightsaber combat over using his Force powers. I just don't understand why anyone looking for mobility would be drawn to the Sniper class in the first place. There are plenty of other great dps classes out there that are naturally mobile, so trying to force mobility into a class that wasn't designed for it just seems kind of odd to me.

Edited by Karaokelove

It does both.

----------

Excellent guide, but you might want to tell people how to actually Crouch In Place, since the game seems to want to hide that info from you. By default, it's Shift+F, but I kind of recommend binding it to F and binding the combat-roll Crouch to Shift+F so that you don't do silly things in combat (like rolling into a pack of mobs, rolling into cover and facing the wrong direction so you don't get cover, etc).

You'll still get cover and its associated benefits, but you have to Crouch In Place directly on top of a green arrow to do so. You'll know you're doing it right if the mobs/players in your frontal cone have a green shield above their head--that means you've got full cover.

Oh ok. That's good to know just in general then. I saw him mention it affecting GCD but not casting time and thought maybe he just went dyslexic when he was typing it up. Of course I'm only running on 3 hours of sleep, pretty much every night this week, and might of just read it wrong. Which is also why I said if I'm wrong just tell me to sit back and shut up. Been one of those weeks :(

Mr. Love,

May I call you Mr. Love?

The only real issue I personally have with mobility builds is they fact that they try to get around the cover mechanic, which is basically the backbone of the class.

I was thinking about this comment and thinking what is the backbone of the hybrid build and when do i use cover.

Its funny because in pve, usually they will have a mix of melee and ranged, so I charge the ranged so the melee follows me then just drop AOE bombs on our location and if theres an elite then focus the cull and probe on them.

when you can spam an aoe knockdown that is doing 1k damage crits on a normal basis, you dont get hit much. pve this build is amazing, less so with individual pvp because of the burst damage of the marksman tree but I believe you will actually be the most hated player to play against.

Imagine someone spamming two -30% run speed bombs, one thats 18 seconds and one AOE that is 6 seconds. Not to mention do your dibilitate and get an extra 30% run speed. How do you think melee fighters (under 10m guys) feel about fighting against you.

My experience in pvp is that you can drop 4 AOE or dots on the battlefield so everyone is injured for the markmen to take out.

You have 3 get-aways also

Coverpulse works well with the slows or could be combined with legshot

Flashgrenade which doesnt work with the dots

debilitate (with a fast reg and run speed boost)

Now all you want to do is get to that 30m range and drop more slows on them.

On a side note, I have cybertech with additional grenades

Do you know how frustrating it is when some melee guy (who always charge guys with long rifles) is running at you at -60% run speed and feel like a sitting duck, then they finnally get to you and you've stacked your dots, you dibilitate and run away at +30 run speed.

expect a few tells because everything they learned to fight a markmen is turned on its head.

Now one last thing... I wear a medium armor dress (sith-like) on my type 4 fat frame which is confusing to the attacker.

A guy in a dress, tossing bombs is the sniper...pure fun.

@Easelman You most certainly can call me Mr. Love...

Anyway, that does sound like a very interesting build in theory, though I'd like to hear how it pans out in actual combat situations. Assuming that it works exactly as you've described under optimal conditions, it would seem to be unbeatable. However, once you figure in every class's ability to break free from movement-impairing affects, and most melee class's abilities to instantly pounce upon their targets, things will start to get tricky.

As I've said, though, I'm currently lacking both experience and information on the Lethality build in general. And though my research tells me that hybrid builds are not as effective as pure builds, I have no personal experience with hybrids to back up such statements. Your build definitely makes me want to take another look at viable hybrid builds. Thanks again for your informative posts!

P.S.

A guy in a dress, tossing bombs is the sniper...pure fun.

You sound like a Batman villain...

Edited by Karaokelove

Also, if anyone has an idea for a chapter they would like to see in the guide, please post your opinions. I am trying to cram as much information in as I possibly can, so if you think of anything new, or think any of the current information is lacking or could be made clearer, please post your opinions, comments, ideas, and criticisms and I will take each and every one into consideration. Thanks!

Mr. Love,

I would like to see a guide that gives enhancements to each ability. For example - what possible bonuses could you get for area effect abilities. What qualifies for a "poison effect" for cull, vectors AOE poison, dot grenades?

So basically a list of attacks then talents you can pick up to enhance them.

Anyway, that does sound like a very interesting build in theory, though I'd like to hear how it pans out in actual combat situations. Assuming that it works exactly as you've described under optimal conditions, it would seem to be unbeatable.

Yea its so easy when the opponent does exactly what you want in your brain. In fact, I have won every battle composed in my head no matter what the build.

Mr. Love,

I would like to see a guide that gives enhancements to each ability. For example - what possible bonuses could you get for area effect abilities. What qualifies for a "poison effect" for cull, vectors AOE poison, dot grenades?

So basically a list of attacks then talents you can pick up to enhance them.

I think that's a great idea, and I'll try to get something like that added as soon as possible. Currently, with the game being so new, it's difficult to get hard numbers on a lot of abilities, but I supposes I could start with percentages and add in the hard numbers as they become available.

great guide!! Thanks for the time and effort :). I'll definitely be coming back frequently, had NO idea about binding cover in place...wow that makes things so much easier. Thought I had to back off if I see a green figure just to cover in place and not roll towards somewhere possibly very disadvantageous.

Question - I chose to go with Cybertech before reading up on how useful BioChems are to IAs (even before reading your post), my Cybertech is now at 180 and it's a decent source of income for me right now...would you recommend I ditch it, get my reusables, and go back to Cybertech later? Seems to make sense that if I plan to get reusables via BioChem, I should do it now before leveling Cybertech too much right? Also - do reusables really bind on pickup? I can't get it from a friend going biochem?

Edited by Xtrema

great guide!! Thanks for the time and effort :). I'll definitely be coming back frequently, had NO idea about binding cover in place...wow that makes things so much easier. Thought I had to back off if I see a green figure just to cover in place and not roll towards somewhere possibly very disadvantageous.

Question - I chose to go with Cybertech before reading up on how useful BioChems are to IAs (even before reading your post), my Cybertech is now at 180 and it's a decent source of income for me right now...would you recommend I ditch it, get my reusables, and go back to Cybertech later? Seems to make sense that if I plan to get reusables via BioChem, I should do it now before leveling Cybertech too much right? Also - do reusables really bind on pickup? I can't get it from a friend going biochem?

I hate to say it, but yeah, you are probably better off dropping Cybertech and any related gathering skills in order to pick up Biochem and Bioanalysis at least until you've crafted all of the resuables you'll need. I had to do the same thing (with the same skill, no less!). It sucks, but it would appear that to remain competitive at higher levels, most characters are going to be forced to go that route.

Edited by Karaokelove

I hate to say it, but yeah, you are probably better off dropping Cybertech and any related gathering skills in order to pick up Biochem and Bioanalysis at least until you've crafted all of the resuables you'll need. I had to do the same thing (with the same skill, no less!). It sucks, but it would appear that to remain competitive at higher levels, most characters are going to be forced to go that route.

wow that sucks, alright that's probably what I'm going to do, all that crafting! But if all the useful stuff - reusables - are BoP, how are we supposed to make money in Biochem?

wow that sucks, alright that's probably what I'm going to do, all that crafting! But if all the useful stuff - reusables - are BoP, how are we supposed to make money in Biochem?

Some of the Biochem stuff you should be able to sell, if I remember correctly. I know I've seen some lower-level reusables being sold in the AH. It's just the most sought-after items that are BoP. Even still, don't expect to make a ton of money with Biochem. Just know that the payoff will be ten-fold when you gain access to those insanely powerful stims, adrenals, medpacks, and implants. Those items are, quite literally, priceless.

That said, you can still make some good money selling off your excess Biochem ingredients in the AH. Since Biochem is such a popular choice, its crafting materials are always hot sellers. And odds are your Bioanalysis skill is going to outlevel your Biochem skill by quite a bit, meaning you should have access to high-level ingredients long before you need them. I've been saving mine, but if you ever get in a pinch you can easily sell them on the AH for a tidy profit.

The only problem with that is the reusables (medkits...etc) have a minimum Biochem requirement to use them also. So you have to have a high enough skill to make them AND to use them.

The only problem with that is the reusables (medkits...etc) have a minimum Biochem requirement to use them also. So you have to have a high enough skill to make them AND to use them.

Hmm, I wasn't aware of that. If that's the case, I'll definitely edit my post, but I was under the impression that once created, they were yours to do with as you please. I know most have level requirements, but I didn't think any usable in the game was based on crew skill.

I'm currently in the same situation as above. I have cybertech at a high'ish level 230ish but thinking of dropping it to get biochem.

My only worry is that BW with nerf biochem or buff cybertech by the time I get it leveled up again. With the amount of small patches and how many things they are fixing/adjusting atm it is very possible that this could happen. Especially if all high level deeps go for bio over other crafting proffs.

I think i may stick it out while i'm leveling (33atm) and have another look once 50.

I'm currently in the same situation as above. I have cybertech at a high'ish level 230ish but thinking of dropping it to get biochem.

My only worry is that BW with nerf biochem or buff cybertech by the time I get it leveled up again. With the amount of small patches and how many things they are fixing/adjusting atm it is very possible that this could happen. Especially if all high level deeps go for bio over other crafting proffs.

I think i may stick it out while i'm leveling (33atm) and have another look once 50.

That is a very valid concern. I got hit by the Slicing nerf pretty hard, and am now wishing I had taken Underworld Trading. I should probably edit my post to say something like "In it's current state, Biochem is the skill to take".

I do have to say that currently there is absolutely no reason to take any other skill over Biochem, but that also means there there are probably either some nerfs, buffs, or both in the works.

My gosh Karaokelove thank you for this guide. I loved your dps, dpe, and skill tree section great information. I would love to show your my skilltree on marksman i switched it up a little for a reason. (tor head linking looking for).

Sure thing, just post the link and some explanations for your choices and I'd love to take a look. The Marksman build I have posted is just kind of a vanilla setup, with no regard for pve or pvp leanings. Engineer is my current focus, so any new info or feedback I can get on Marksman builds would be a great help. Thanks!

Also, if anyone has any opinions that differ from/contradict anything I have posted, please post them. I think it is important to have intelligent opposing points presented in this thread. It makes it easier for readers to draw their own conclusions and results in less people taking my posted opinions as facts. Just please remember to post logical arguments to back up your ideas, and all should be well. Thanks in advance!

-Woody

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been able to update the guide in a day or two. I've been trying to level my Sniper so that I can inject a lot more personal experience into the guide, rather than basing most of it on research. Finally got to 37 today, and I must say Lokin has changed the entire experience. I can now solo Heroic 2's that are 2 to 3 levels above me! But anyway, I'm going to try to at least finish the companion chapter tomorrow, and try to figure out where to go from there. Remember, any suggestions you have about how I could improve on the guide would be a huge help. And as always, thanks for reading!

-Woody