Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

Let's also not forget that the "Animation Delays" aren't even the same for Empire classes and their Republic Mirrors. Thus, mirrored classes aren't balanced due to the fact that one side or the other can use a mirrored ability much faster than the other, which just makes pvp even worse.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have looked through the dev tracker, and have not found any real response to this issue from bioware... Did i miss one, or has this issue not been acknowledged yet?

This isnt particularly gamebreaking for me, although it is annoying. It would be one thing if this was a problem across both factions, but as of now it seems that the republic side got the short end of the stick as far as this problem is concerned...

*cough* Here *cough*

Oh yeah. Let's leave the most gamebreaking issue out of the first content patch where we [bioware] try to get as many to keep playing - ergo, start a subscription.

All is indeed well..................

:/

Might not be in the notes because a fix is not ready.

I have looked through the dev tracker, and have not found any real response to this issue from bioware... Did i miss one, or has this issue not been acknowledged yet?

This isnt particularly gamebreaking for me, although it is annoying. It would be one thing if this was a problem across both factions, but as of now it seems that the republic side got the short end of the stick as far as this problem is concerned...

The first page of this thread has all the links.

Have you guys considered that there is supposed to be a delay?

You press a button, it sends a message to your avatar's brain. Your avatar then takes a small amount of time to perform that action, simulation inertia and a constant time continuum.

If you get the idea to pick up your can of soda, your hand doesn't suddenly teleport to holding the can of soda, it takes time for the action command from your brain to take place.

By the way, don't bother responding to this. I know you'll just say it's bad game design.

This was lame...

The avatar is supposed to be US.

We already had the delay from OUR OWN BRAIN to the actual keybinding... why would the avatar need TWO Brain delays?

This was lame...

The avatar is supposed to be US.

We already had the delay from OUR OWN BRAIN to the actual keybinding... why would the avatar need TWO Brain delays?

Good point. Was just a speculation after all, I'm no designer =).

This is what I want. Clear rebuttals. I'm more than happy to admit when I'm wrong if people can back it up with something that makes sense.

Meh is all i can say.

Me and the wife got to level 36 last night and we have not experienced any bugs or gamebreaking issues. I have hope that BW fixes any bugs of issues anyone else has, but for now, back to swtor for me. Onto quesh.

shocker

seems like just a handful of people actually posting and keeping this alive, while the great majority are like 'huh?'

epic troll, even convinced bioware there's a problem.

The handful of people posting are good players who are actually fast. The majority of players are slow, bad players. That's why there's the discrepancy.

I've been complaining about this since day one to a friend. He's the one that found this thread and gave me the link. It's a very real problem, and I'm not about to say I only noticed it because I'm a great player. Unless the sole criteria for that is binding your keys I'm not one. That said, I wish I had no clue how some people aren't noticing it. Honestly, these trolls (and the few sincere naysayers) are suffering from some massive cognitive dissonance. They're letting their fanboyism get in the way of honestly assessing the game.

As a single player experience I'm happy with the game. Once I get into a warzone I quickly become very unhappy. The responsiveness issue, which can be largely ignored in pve, is compounded in pvp by the fact that every other game feels like it's populated by illiterate children who can't understand what "inc west" means. Of course bad players are expected.

I'm not going to make some ultimatum concerning the status of my subscription AND some other mmo. I'm not playing any other mmo and haven't for more than half a year. I'm never playing wow again. That game is so incredibly bad. The only reason I stuck with it as long as I had was because the community was keeping me there. I have no intention of leaving tor to "go back", but I haven't played an mmo for a long stretch of time and if I want a single player experience there are plenty of good single player games out there. Hell, my external hdd has 1 tb of my games stored on it.

A side note: I couldn't even post on these forums using firefox. It wouldn't even recognize the fact that I had logged in (multiple times). I ultimately had to make my post using opera.

Edited by Kmita

Now that you mention it, I feel this problem too. Not as often as i've heard smugglers and agents feel it, but it is something that bothers me a bit. I understand that BW is working on it (I hope) and will have it fixed eventually (I hope).

wanna feel it? cast something and then try to do the sage PBAOE knockdown

Basically you gotta spam your keys to make anything work because if i just did it out of reaction it'd never go off.

Mounting is the clearest form of this, really why do we get dismounted right away?

During the development of Star Wars: The Old Republic, we’ve been paying a lot of attention to the game’s responsiveness. As pointed out by some people on the Forum, a very responsive experience is one of the factors that separate the best MMOs from the others. This is something we are fully aware of and take extremely seriously.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=141027

Where are all the "Hurrr everything is fine, you are talking about twitch gameplay" idiots now?

Im really looking forward to this.

the issue wont get fixed, its a problem with the engine, they would have to do a massive overhaul of the code

probably not worth the investment for them to fix it

thats what they get for using an old *** engine from like 2006

They started developing in 2006, were they meant to grab one from 2012 and somehow bring it back to 2006?

the issue wont get fixed, its a problem with the engine, they would have to do a massive overhaul of the code

Read through the original post, the problems with this game are not with the engine.

The engine has already been heavily modified to fit the game, do you really think they wouldn't be able to modify it anymore?

It'll get fixed if they want the game to succeed.

EVERYONE -- I HAVE PROOF THAT IT IS POSSIBLE TO FIX THIS ENTIRE ISSUE -- STAND BY

I am in the midst of creating a full breadth analysis in video form... I even re-subbed to WoW to do so... please stand by while I gather more gameplay footage, specifics and edit etc.

I am absolutely not exaggerating that I have proof of the potential to "absolutely" replicate WoW like Character Response... "it appears without damaging animations"...

Edit: I should note that the video also contains Top PvPers (2800+ Rating) as well as Top250 World PvErs...

Edited by Xcore

Thought I'd post this here to add to the videos listed on the front page.
Very frustrating as a Jugg, I hope they fix it soon... as in NOW soon.:mad:

Yes thank you, i experience this every single warzone... I will add it to OP...