Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Every group is full of greedy ninja companion looters.

haluo

Why is there such loot drama over weapons anyway? Everyone gets a free ORANGE "welcome to level 10" weapon. If you're arguing over your weapon slot, you are arguing over nothing.

Now orange gear in other slots? Level 50 Heroic + = Players first, PERIOD, end of story. That's where the serious progression begins. Pre 50? Gear should go player first, if and only if, they don't already have orange in that slot. Then, companions who do not have orange gear in that slot. Then Players who do, but want cosmetics or to break out the mods. Then people with companions they want vanity or to raid the mods for.

That is what would be fair, but I would never suspect anyone I play with to agree with that. Now the ninja in me says, I can need ALL gear with mods in it, because I can strip mods and send them to alts.

Lot of ways for me to justify being a ninja.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't be able to Need for companions at all. It makes no sense that a companion should get that gear before a PC whatsoever. Those of you that think that you need to go into flashpoints to farm for companions are not thinking logically. I have easily gained plenty of blues for Corso through quests, random drops in game, and Greeding during flashpoints.

If you are questing so much that your companions are a "vital part" to your gaming experience, then what are you doing with all the extra commendations you earn? Anyone that quests enough would definitely earn enough to have an excess. So, here's what you do: spend them on companion gear.

There are plenty of ways to earn gear for your companions besides creating drama with other players in flashpoints. Anyone that says otherwise are either lying or are simply ignorant. Companions do not need top tier gear at all times. I would argue that they rarely need top gear at all. If you play your role right, then you shouldn't have to lean on your companion that heavily.

I'm sorry, but I personally will not play with players that think this way. I don't care if the gear does not have a class or alignment. If it's an upgrade for another player there is no reason for a companion to get that gear before them. There is no Needing for companions. Not when there are plenty of other ways to get gear for them outside of rolls.

The issue with your post here is you're making assumptions that aren't necessarily present, and you're attempting to set up rules for other players that they may not agree to, and you have no effective means of enforcing. Little is less-respectable than a wannabe Caesar who can't actually actualize a threat of force as a deterrent for a particular kind of behavior.

Yes, there are multiple methods of acquiring gear, both for yourself and your companions. Simple numbers indicate that refusing to avail yourself of all available options lessens your chances of reaching your goal, which in this case is a well-geared set of companions. If, in fact, your goal is to keep your companions geared appropriate to the level of content you're facing while you're questing, you should thus improve your odds of reaching that goal by using all available avenues of upgrading, including companion-usable drops from group content.

I'm always polite in instances, I always work hard to do my job, I point out my own mistakes and apologize, etc. I'll likely never be labeled a "ninja", or put on ignore lists as a result of my behavior. But understand something: you say that no companion should ever get gear before a player. I say you need to realize that companions are part of the player. If it's how you have to work it in your mind to understand it, just think of the companion as an extra set of slots requiring level-appropriate filling in order for you to function properly.

If you're never out questing, you don't need your companion. If you level through PvP and Flashpoints, you don't need your companion. I propose, however, that those two paths of reaching the level cap are unusual, and definitely not the norm. As a result, the majority of players who are using their companions require those companions to be well-geared.

And they'll do that through purchasing stuff from vendors, using commendations, using the Galactic Trade Network...

... and by using drops from instances.

Eldren, your selfishness doesn't cease to amaze me.

You can try to hide behind walls of text all you want but the fact remains, and let me reiterate it in case you forgot:

You are rolling need for your companion, while your companion will be able to do everything that you intend it to do wearing greens from drops and quests.

You are rolling need for your companion, while your companion did nothing to benefit the Flashpoint.

I don't care what type of fallacies I stated and I don't care what fallacies I will state.

If you're able to see anything past yourself then you would know how pathetic YOUR argument is.

The argument that your companion is part of your character is true, but the person you're taking that piece of gear away from IS a character, not a part, not an extension.

I'm done with this thread and leaving you to grovel in your own thoughts, I do hope you have fun with the horrible reputation you will have on your server.

when you run an instance 100000 times trying to get that one drop and someone takes it for their "companion"

I ran a dungeon pre BC in WoW like the 100000 times and everytime I am denied to roll on an item, a crit blade (and i ran the dungeon for that item alone), because someone does not have that item already and the item is consider more suitable for him.

Everything can be reverse...

but as there is no LFG, this cant be happening.....

you know that "community" which results from chat spam grouping where everyone gets along, becomes best friends in groups and nothing like this can possibly happen....

oh yeah, and LOL.

What were BW saying about the players should create the community again? hmmm?

Thanx for your input Dec 2011.

Eldren, your selfishness doesn't cease to amaze me.

You can try to hide behind walls of text all you want but the fact remains, and let me reiterate it in case you forgot:

You are rolling need for your companion, while your companion will be able to do everything that you intend it to do wearing greens from drops and quests.

You are rolling need for your companion, while your companion did nothing to benefit the Flashpoint.

I don't care what type of fallacies I stated and I don't care what fallacies I will state.

If you're able to see anything past yourself then you would know how pathetic YOUR argument is.

The argument that your companion is part of your character is true, but the person you're taking that piece of gear away from IS a character, not a part, not an extension.

I'm done with this thread and leaving you to grovel in your own thoughts, I do hope you have fun with the horrible reputation you will have on your server.

If you could actually disprove anything I've stated, or actively refute it, I'd be willing to continue the dialogue with you. But you're hiding behind nonsense phrases like "wall of text", and indicating that there's nothing I can say that will convince you to change your perspective.

If you already knew that you weren't going to change your mind, why have you participated in this discussion past your initial post?

Yes, a companion is "part of" a character. As a result, they are a "part" of the character requiring maintenance, in this case, gear upgrades. It doesn't matter if they were in the Flashpoint or not. I was. They're part of my character, and their performance is necessary for my character's continued success outside of Flashpoints. As a result, if an upgrade for them drops that they can actually use, I'm going to roll Need on it.

Most of the time I'm going to be considerate and ask first. But you need to understand that asking isn't required. Other players' approval for anything you, I, or anyone else does with their character is never necessary. It's a concession on our part.

That person I'm "taking the gear away from" is a character who likewise has companions who require gear. It's not my concern if they choose to prioritize those companions differently than I do.

Trust me, I'll never have a bad reputation on my server. My attitude and behavior (including in Flashpoints) has already garnered me a larger friends list than I can realistically manage.

And in every single one of those instances where I was with a now-friend for the first time in group content, I was rolling Need on upgrades for my companions.

Guess that sort of just shoots your argument entirely out of the water, doesn't it?

Edited by Eldren

I have no problem with people needing for their companion characters.

If YOU don't like people rolling need for their companions then do not group with them.

I mean loot bags would be really cool. Where everyone got loot for participating and then could choose if they wanted an upgrad for their chracter or companion.

But then again you couldn't come here and QQ about other players 'ninja'ing loot.

The loot system is what the loot system is.

The loot system is what the loot system is.

The loot system is Need before greed but it seems everyone is trying to super impose their definition of need onto other people.

As for those who said people will roll on everything if they allow people to roll need for companion. Its not hard to tell if someone is really rolling for companion or if he is rolling everything and use companion as an excuse. I know everybody have campanion of any type but I don't believe he will use every companion at all. Most player will use at most 3 companion while questing. How often you see player switching companion while questing? I've seen non.

Edited by ryancwn

If you need it, need it. Even if its for your companion who cares ? its a fair system and you have just as much of a chance to win it as others.. Moaning about losing a toss is childish.

It may be annoying when you lose a roll to someone that needs it for a companion but deal with it.. its better than some idiot needing just to sell it.

Look, here's the bottom line: if a piece drops that's an upgrade for my companion but not for me, I'm going to roll Need on it.

Hell, I'll even roll Need on it if it's four players in the group. My companion needs to keep their gear updated just like I do, so their output is acceptable while I'm out questing on my own. I spend the majority of my time questing on my own. I'm in a Flashpoint for 30 minutes tops.

Companions are extensions of the player characters. It isn't going to change. I'm not going to roll Need on an item that requires a specific class and alignment unless I'm both of those things. But if a piece drops for, say, Jaesa (light armor with Endurance and Willpower), and it doesn't put a class or alignment requirement on it, and it's an upgrade from what she currently has in that slot, I'm going to roll Need on it.

I was in there, I helped down the boss, I have as much right to a piece of gear as any of the other players. It's no one else's business what I do with that gear.

Wow, you are a horrible person, and care about no one but yourself and are why mmo community's are total trash

Look, here's the bottom line: if a piece drops that's an upgrade for my companion but not for me, I'm going to roll Need on it.

Hell, I'll even roll Need on it if it's four players in the group. My companion needs to keep their gear updated just like I do, so their output is acceptable while I'm out questing on my own. I spend the majority of my time questing on my own. I'm in a Flashpoint for 30 minutes tops.

Companions are extensions of the player characters. It isn't going to change. I'm not going to roll Need on an item that requires a specific class and alignment unless I'm both of those things. But if a piece drops for, say, Jaesa (light armor with Endurance and Willpower), and it doesn't put a class or alignment requirement on it, and it's an upgrade from what she currently has in that slot, I'm going to roll Need on it.

I was in there, I helped down the boss, I have as much right to a piece of gear as any of the other players. It's no one else's business what I do with that gear.

So rolling should just be done away with and all gear randomly assigned to a party member regardless off class ect etc? cause by the time we get to 50 pretty much everyone will be entitled to roll on anything when we have all our companions?

Stupid. Player chars first companions second. your just selfish. Ill never roll on a peice of gear if a player needs it for their main char. They should make a rolling system that allows need/greed/disasemble/companion or something similar.

Wow, you are a horrible person, and care about no one but yourself and are why mmo community's are total trash

I care about helping everyone down the boss in question so we all have a shot at loot that we want. It doesn't matter to me if that want is based in our character or one of our companions.

Once the boss is downed, we roll on the loot. All those who roll have an equal shot of getting the item in question. Nothing could be more fair.

I'm not going to put another player ahead of myself. I'm not going to intentionally choose not to improve my game just so someone else can.

I'm likewise not going to roll Need on items I don't actually need. I won't be rolling on pistols that require a class, or lightsabers that require the Light Side, or heavy armor that requires a class or alignment different than mine.

But I'm going to consider an item a Need if I can use it to upgrade either myself or my companion.

I think that as a player participating in the Flashpoint or Heroic, you have a right to roll "need" for your companion.

The Flashpoints and Heroics were made to be repeated, and if someone decides to "Need" an object, another person can also "need" that object, therefore rolling for the object and a fair winner is decided by the outcome. If you lost, you can re-run the Flashpoint or Heroic, problem solved.

To say that only players deserve the said gear is ridiculous, when every participant of the Flashpoint and Heroic has worked hard to achieve the final goal of having that gear they deserve the right to win that gear for their companion to benefit themselves.

I find it absurd how players can be so selfish when they forget the rolling system is based on who gets the higher number, so you cannot technically steal the item from the other.

You WIN the item by the rules. If someone cares enough to cry over an item that has no value in the real world, they are a loss cause. I vote for companion needs as well.

If it's such a big issue, maximize your level (50) and solo the Flashpoint with your companion and get the loot that way, instead of harrassing and insulting a player for wanting to gear their companion.

The planets after level 40 are rather tough when solo'd so proper companion gear is essential.

I care about helping everyone down the boss in question so we all have a shot at loot that we want. It doesn't matter to me if that want is based in our character or one of our companions.

Once the boss is downed, we roll on the loot. All those who roll have an equal shot of getting the item in question. Nothing could be more fair.

I'm not going to put another player ahead of myself. I'm not going to intentionally choose not to improve my game just so someone else can.

I'm likewise not going to roll Need on items I don't actually need. I won't be rolling on pistols that require a class, or lightsabers that require the Light Side, or heavy armor that requires a class or alignment different than mine.

But I'm going to consider an item a Need if I can use it to upgrade either myself or my companion.

Arent you the noble one.....

So rolling should just be done away with and all gear randomly assigned to a party member regardless off class ect etc? cause by the time we get to 50 pretty much everyone will be entitled to roll on anything when we have all our companions?

Stupid. Player chars first companions second. your just selfish. Ill never roll on a peice of gear if a player needs it for their main char. They should make a rolling system that allows need/greed/disasemble/companion or something similar.

To be perfectly honest, I think the existence of companions in this game makes Need Before Greed a suboptimal system of loot distribution. Since companions are part of our characters that require upgrades just the same as our main characters, and since they often require upgrades of a type that our main character might not be able to use, it makes much more sense to have loot distribution in groups be on a Roll/Pass system. Either you want it or you don't. It doesn't matter if you need it for an upgrade or want to give it to a companion.

And heck, if it's BoE, make it bound once you roll for it. There: you can't do anything with it other than use it, give it to a companion, or vendor it for a very low number of credits.

Bottom line: what any player does with a piece of gear is no other player's business. If someone rolls Need, the other players can't do anything but assume they need it. Past that, it doesn't matter.

And if a particular item is so important to you that you'd be willing to stall an entire group while you attempt to argue about its ultimate disposition, just run the Flashpoint again until it drops, and take your shot at it.

You're never guaranteed loot in group content. You're only guaranteed a chance at loot.

One solution is to state the loot rules up front. If someone doesn't agree, they can choose to leave the group. If they agree to the rules and then break said rules then the 'ninja' label is somewhat more applicable. These people's reps get out there on their server and they eventually pay the price.

So your playing the game to give gear away that you could use and need to others huh ? wow, what a wonderfull person.. just mail me any good gear from now on please.

If you could use it and its an upgrade then need it, simple. You did the work int he group just everyone else, you have a fair shot at the loot, again simple.

I can understand why people get disappointed in missing out on something.. but getting y panties in a twist over a virtual game item that someone else won fairly is crazy..

Seek help :)

I myself have never been much of a companion upgrade guy. (i keep them good with crafts and hand me downs on some)

The one thing I have run into a few times, is when your on a flashpoint i.e. esseles or hammer. And theres a guy who joins your group that is a few lvls higher than the flashpoint.

EX. A lvl 16 smuggler I ran with on essesles when I was lvl 10.

The first thing I usually think is sweet this guys gonna make this a fairly easy run. And it dose just that. Until an orange smuggler gear piece drops from the boss. So you think o.k. theres only one smuggler in the group and hes way higher lvl than this so ill roll for my companion. But then you get it. And they end up flaming you about "thats for smugglers you dont need that i do" or "did you even look at the stats you have no use for cunning you noob, trade it back to me or ill leave"

thats the example of loot drama i have, feel free to comment

The issue with your post here is you're making assumptions that aren't necessarily present, and you're attempting to set up rules for other players that they may not agree to, and you have no effective means of enforcing. Little is less-respectable than a wannabe Caesar who can't actually actualize a threat of force as a deterrent for a particular kind of behavior.

Yes, there are multiple methods of acquiring gear, both for yourself and your companions. Simple numbers indicate that refusing to avail yourself of all available options lessens your chances of reaching your goal, which in this case is a well-geared set of companions. If, in fact, your goal is to keep your companions geared appropriate to the level of content you're facing while you're questing, you should thus improve your odds of reaching that goal by using all available avenues of upgrading, including companion-usable drops from group content.

I'm always polite in instances, I always work hard to do my job, I point out my own mistakes and apologize, etc. I'll likely never be labeled a "ninja", or put on ignore lists as a result of my behavior. But understand something: you say that no companion should ever get gear before a player. I say you need to realize that companions are part of the player. If it's how you have to work it in your mind to understand it, just think of the companion as an extra set of slots requiring level-appropriate filling in order for you to function properly.

If you're never out questing, you don't need your companion. If you level through PvP and Flashpoints, you don't need your companion. I propose, however, that those two paths of reaching the level cap are unusual, and definitely not the norm. As a result, the majority of players who are using their companions require those companions to be well-geared.

And they'll do that through purchasing stuff from vendors, using commendations, using the Galactic Trade Network...

... and by using drops from instances.

Yet, here's the pot calling the kettle black. I don't level through PvP or flashpoints. I spend 99.99% of my time questing. I do every single quest in sight, so I know exactly what is needed for a companion to be relevant in any situation. What "rules" are you referring to that I supposedly made up? The fact of the matter is, you don't like that I'm pointing out obvious, not to mention numerous, avenues to upgrade companions. There is never any need to Need for companions. Ever.

It's flat out wrong to say that at any point in the questing experience, that farming flashpoints is necessary for companions. Companions don't need top level gear, not even tanks or healers. Heck, the other examples I provided will often give you gear that is on your level. I gave avenues to obtain gear without spending resources. That is what you want, isn't it? I know that the companion is necessary for the player experience, I don't understand your repetitive desire to bring up this argument that no one has yet presented. You act as though the companion is absolutely vital for you to get anywhere. I ask, what happens to you when your companion dies? Do you go down with them immediately? You are the player character, you are the one that's supposed to be the most deadly out of the both of you, no matter what role your companion plays. Companions are meant to assist you, they do not need to match you at any point in the questing experience.

Fact is, Needing for companions is illogical. They do not play a viable roll in group content 99% of the time. Group content is for PCs not companions. Whether people agree or not isn't an issue because of the sheer amount of other ways to obtain upgraded gear without spending any resources.

You get 5 companions. All of them could need something.

You didn't bring any of those companions to the Flashpoint.

They don't Deserve to need any of the gear. Case closed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.