"Not an MMO due to instances" yet it plays and feels identical to WoW.

MBirdy

1) I level up practically alone, seeing a handful of allies leveling, or being attacked by enemy factions - CHECK.

2) Group up for a few elite quests/instances while leveling - CHECK.

3) Can engage in multiplayer PvP at any time - CHECK.

4) Reach max level and do the above things, because just like WoW they are the only things worth doing... and guess what, they are instanced! - CHECK

5) Only go into the world to tradeskill or greif players... or be a 12 year old and climb a mountain and suicide, because exploration is cool. - CHECK

6) Sit around in main faction hub waiting for isntanced content - CHECK.

Oh right, despite the artificial borders ... and the "lack of players while level" though I get loads... I get an identical experiance to WoW - CHECK.

Ahhh... no matter how a theme park MMO is designed, its all the same crap in the end. all instanced linear content. you either like it or you dont, if your bored of it. DO SOME BLOODY PRODUCT RESEARCH BEFORE WASTING YOUR MONEY.

I think the issue some have is that SWTOR is way more instanced than games like WOW. WOW definitely has instances but there are no where near as much load screens in WOW as there are in TOR. The other thing is that the world in other MMOs like WOW feels more expansive and open.

I think the issue some have is that SWTOR is way more instanced than games like WOW. WOW definitely has instances but there are no where near as much load screens in WOW as there are in TOR. The other thing is that the world in other MMOs like WOW feels more expansive and open.

The instancing doesn't affect gameplay versus things like WOW, that was the point the OP made.

I for one, never said this game was unlike WoW. My major problem with it is that is too lineair..

WoW was just as linear at launch. I expect that as the game grows, new planets will come about and you will see less linear gameplay.

You can do all this in a seven year old pseudo-fantasy world, or you can do all this in a new Star Wars based universe.

If all you look at is the mechanics, then most MMORGs will be the same experience.

If you look at the world you are in, then they are different.

One big difference--when WoW was released you saw lots and lots of other people running around in the zone. Weird to play an MMO but to only see people in the 1st two starter zones--then its a ghost town.

I'm not sure why linear gameplay is being knocked as a bad thing....

My only complaint with the game (well, OK, technically it's 2 complaints) is that the experience gained from questing is *SO* much greater than the experience gained from killing that people are left with no choice but to grind quests (and the correllary that gruoping quests are hard to find groups for <note that I have a tank and a healer, and still have issues grouping> because everyone is solo questing).

I'd really like to see more balance between mob farming xp and questing xp, so that those of us who play bloodthirsty killer types don't have to do 8x the work (or more) than those of you who like talking to NPCs.

One big difference--when WoW was released you saw lots and lots of other people running around in the zone. Weird to play an MMO but to only see people in the 1st two starter zones--then its a ghost town.

I see people running around all the time, and I group with them as much as I grouped with folks in WoW at launch - to do Flashpoints/Instances and for elite/2+ & 4+ quests.

Ahhh... no matter how a theme park MMO is designed, its all the same crap in the end. all instanced linear content. you either like it or you dont, if your bored of it. DO SOME BLOODY PRODUCT RESEARCH BEFORE WASTING YOUR MONEY.

On top of seeing this post 20 times today, what exactly do you want from an MMO?

WoW has more than a little EQ1 in it. All modern MMOs will have more than a little WoW in them. This isn't just "like WoW." It's the definition of a current-gen MMO. They're all like this. Nearly every MMO -- same concept, same UI, same everything. Why? Because it works and we keep paying.

You want innovation? Stop playing MMOs altogether. Enough people do it, they'll get the hint. If you don't want games to be "just like WoW," then MMOs as they are now aren't for you.