Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Hero Engine: why?

Tokeee

The hero engine is a disaster, huge memory leaking, extreme loading, poor performance even on rigs with 4gb ram (never needed before in a MMORPG) and a geforce 570gtx and on top of that lame graphics for such required power.

lmao. Yeah, your an expert on the Hero engine, right.

I understand that you and some others need a villan to project your anger on. I get that.

But it does not make you right, or credible on the subject of the engine.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hero Engine is one of the oldest, out of date pieces of crap on the market today. It is meant for creating instanced games, ergo why everyone here on the board is QQ'ing about removing the instances everywhere - they can't, the game is built off of this garbage engine that creates instances. Furthermore, this engine is really meant for amateurs or college kids in gaming programs to begin creating their own online games. THIS IS NOT MEANT FOR LARGE SCALE USAGE! Please people, EVERYONE KNOWS you use INHOUSE whenever you create something of this magnitude.

BW?! Where did the $3mil go - to all voice overs??? You had the potential of creating a great game that could have riveled and possibly beaten WoW but instead you created a big turd that you can only see if you're in the correct phase...

Go back to making single player games - at least there, you really can't fck it up that badly

Citation needed.

The best research I have done on the hero engine states that its an MMO creation tool. The rest of the engine is BW models, code, etc.

The hero engine is a tool for scripting and coding MMO "space". You can pull that right from their site. The rest of the engine is BW specific.

Unless you built/worked on the hero engine OR work for Bioware, you have no professional opinion in this area.

Edited by Arkerus

---------------------> Anger Management Classes

And your IT Master's degree (if you even actually have one).... means nothing. Sorry, a piece of paper does not make a genius, much less a game critic.

Your degree ?

You know so much it seem ...

lmao. Yeah, your an expert on the Hero engine, right.

I understand that you and some others need a villan to project your anger on. I get that.

But it does not make you right, or credible on the subject of the engine.

Ok again you are only a funboy or you know something ... if so explain it to us..

You are almost go on the heroengine site and read his specs ?!

this means nothing but just to laught ..

from Heroengine :p

Download the platform today

* Get the HeroEngine FREE! Build any type of online game (RPG, FPS, RTS and more).

* Publish your game as a stand-alone client, stream it to players or let them play it on the web.

* We handle & pay for all your servers, hosting, bandwidth & 3rd party technology.

* You get 70% of sales revenue. There is no cost to you, unless your game makes money.

Edited by Isgarot

Citation needed.

The best research I have done on the hero engine states that its an MMO creation tool. The rest of the engine is BW models, code, etc.

The hero engine is a tool for scripting and coding MMO "space". You can pull that right from their site. The rest of the engine is BW specific.

Unless you built/worked on the hero engine OR work for Bioware, you have no professional opinion in this area.

Quoted for truth.

Finally, a sensible statement regarding what the engine is, particularly in the context of how Bioware applied it for their game.

Edited by Andryah

Quoted for truth.

Finally, a sensible statement regariding what the engine is, particularly in the context of how Bioware applied it for their game.

The engine its not only a tool to create a game ... even if you know only the ABC you know this ....

The engine its the architecture of the game ...you add the 3d models, sound, music, effect,ecc..

But its the backbone of the game...

they give to you the tool to help you to use the engine more easilly but at the end its the engine that means..

Edited by Isgarot

I have a masters in IT (mentioning so you understand that I understand the whole Hero engine disaster from an IT point of view) and I love star wars - dmmit! I was looking forward to this game for so long and here they go and make a farce out of it. Stupidity, especially on this magnitude, really pisses me off. If this was my project team, they would have been all fired and replaced a VERY long time ago.

they are so on my shtlist now.

i have an it IT masters degree in game development which surely means i can judge all of bw's actions or choices right? actually no, not at all.

and let me tell you that your paper(if you actually have it) has absolutely no meaning in making your view credible at all without knowing any specifics. i also wonder why you need to bring your degree up everytime you try to make a point...

Most of what I've researched about the HeroEngine has had gold reviews, plus they plan to release a multi threading version/update, which sounds as though it'd improve swtor significantly.

( I know nothing of gaming engines and what threading actually does, just what I've read on sites )

The hero engine is planning to release a multi-threaded engine.. And tbh its been viewed as one of the best mmo engines ( though thay was 2 years ago )

Didnt win anything ...just , finalist for "Best Engine" from Game Developer Magazine 2006

Edited by Isgarot

The hero engine is planning to release a multi-threaded engine.. And tbh its been viewed as one of the best mmo engines ( though thay was 2 years ago )

The best engine that's never made a successful mmo.

Is this like the best piece of cake ever? (that you never ate)

BMW's are the best car's ever. (though I've never driven one)

It's not really the "Hero Engine" anymore. They took an extremely early version (4 years ago) and have modified it extensively since then. There are 3 or 4 people behind Hero Engine but there are 100 engineers in Bioware, many of who modify and customize the engine specific to SWTOR. Basically, it's the SWTOR engine now. There are other companies who are using the current version of Hero Engine. It did save about a year or two in development time not having to code the basics of an MMO from scratch however.

Something I read, so basically maybe it wouldnt be a problem to upgrade the engine for less sharding/better resolution

yes coming from one who is a Plebeian, I am not insulted :)

You win nerd-rage, hyper-ventilation of the year. Everyone knew this was KoTOR with a monthly fee and whatever engine they dropped it in hardly matters. So don't cry now because you were too stupid to figure it out and you dropped $60.

It's not really the "Hero Engine" anymore. They took an extremely early version (4 years ago) and have modified it extensively since then. There are 3 or 4 people behind Hero Engine but there are 100 engineers in Bioware, many of who modify and customize the engine specific to SWTOR. Basically, it's the SWTOR engine now. There are other companies who are using the current version of Hero Engine. It did save about a year or two in development time not having to code the basics of an MMO from scratch however.

Something I read, so basically maybe it wouldnt be a problem to upgrade the engine for less sharding/better resolution

where you heard this ? can link pls ?

They took an extremely early version (4 years ago) ? the engine was out over 6 years ago .....extremely early O.o

Edited by Isgarot

where you heard this ? can link pls ?

It's been covered at length by Bioware in various devblogging and other commentary over the last 18 months.

Google is your friend, use it. No reason he should have to spoon feed you.

If you really think they are using the stock Hero engine, you need to go back to basics on gathering and understanding facts.

HeroEngine made it so this game could be out anytime in the next several years; as people above me said, they modified the engine into their own, but it still is the HeroEngine, they receive updates and everything from it I'm sure. This is the first major release to see the HeroEngine and it's not gonna be the last by any means, tons of companies have licensed it for their upcoming games, it will probably be one of the most seen ones over the next several years. The game is gorgeous using this engine, the anti-aliasing is gonna make a big difference tomorrow, the resolutions of the environment and characters are very high compared to most any MMO I've played; the glaring issue seems to be with some of the armor sets. Give it some time and we'll see improvements in that, and as for performance SW:TOR doesn't have official driver support from either nVidia or ATI yet, once they do you'll probably see a significant boost in performance.

Both companies have responded to people on their forums about this issue if you go look! They're moving really slow with their drivers in their latest series'.

why did you choose an engine that wasn't developed to your exact specifications? I mean, ea and bw make enough, you could have outsourced your engine development and made the engine fit your game.

Instead, you chose the lazy way and are trying to make a game fit an engine. Not only that, you picked a terrible single-threaded engine that can't even process commands before animations finish, hence all of the ability delay rage you're seeing.

Seriously. Blizzard built an engine to fit their game, they're billions (trillions yet?) richer. You didn't, and you're missing out on billions in part due to this decision.

Why?

10/10

I don't think anyone who is not part of the development team can answer if the problem is with the heroengine or not, but from my admittedly limited understanding, this is what we know:

bioware used an early alpha version of the heroengine

bioware customized the engine for there needs

many players for swtor complain about combat mechanics

flaxion build with the heroengine was known to have issues with combat.

It is assumed by many that the heroengine is at the heart there issues with combat.

It's been covered at length by Bioware in various devblogging and other commentary over the last 18 months.

Google is your friend, use it. No reason he should have to spoon feed you.

If you really think they are using the stock Hero engine, you need to go back to basics on gathering and understanding facts.

i dont think they use the stock ( thats even free!!!!) engine ... but i dont think that they really take an alpha (the engine its out at 2006) of the engine and create a new engine from this like that dude said ...

That they modified it its just sure .... but the backbone cannot be modified .. if you want to deeply modified an engine its takes more time that do another one ex novo

Edited by Isgarot

AMEN I have a good gaming pc

and everything is slow loading, major lag if you play for long time due to memory leak

I play a lot, being disabled it allows it haha, but after 3 hours of gameplay the game is eating over 2 gigs of ram and slows to a crawl.

oh and don't log out using quit button in game it takes FOREVER for the game client to quit.

what I do is alt tab, open task manager and end task on swtor.exe then the game instantly exits.

then i relog for another 3 hours of gameplay before the memory leak monster eats it all up again.

and this is on a SSD hard drive.

i HAVE a good gaming pc! if you need to do all this stuff, then obviously you still think your computer is great while it isnt, cause your problems you seem to have, i didnt had ever! i quit or log off and am back to windows in 1-2-3.

Edited by Kozzmozz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12_WbBLIAus&feature=player_embedded#!

just look at this ...tell me what you see

look even at the type of bodies ...

Hmmmm, look, even a pre-alpha version includes combat log. What a concept!

---

OT: Does it really matter if it's stock or heavily modified? Does it matter if it was the best or worst engine of 2006? The fact of the matter is, and I don't think anyone can realistically disagree, that the SW:TOR engine [whatever you want to call it] is problematic. It has errors, lags, and honestly, I remember the Quake II game engine from 1998 looked better than this game in many ways.

Seriously, the technical details and semantics are fine and dandy, but none of that matters if the game looks and plays like crap. Everyone agrees on that small point at least, right? Bioware really dropped the ball on this issue (not to mention all the other issues that this thread does not talk about).