Hero Engine: why?

Tokeee

As I read the complaints about game performance I wonder why I have not experienced the same things:

Athlon 3.00 ghz x2 250

Win 7 64 bit

Dual core

5 gigs ram

HIS Radeon HD 6950 w/2 gig GDDR5

I get consistently 50 to 90 ms latency to the server and my FPS is between 70 and 110 depending on the area I am in. The game runs Very smooth for me.

As far as memory leaks go I am sure Bioware will fix that soon. In the mean time I run a 3rd party program that keeps that in check. Have not had a memory leak problem since installing it.

At what resolution?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, maybe you can help me improve my FPS then. ;)

Looking at your sig I have to ask are you running TOR through bootcamp? if not PM me your DXDIAG and your Process list one quick thing I can tell you to do is start the game alt tab out and look at where the priority of TOR is (you can find it by right clicking the SWTOR exe line under processes) If it is on low priority set it to high,

And I'll take a look and see whats up if I get those files.

AMEN I have a good gaming pc

and everything is slow loading, major lag if you play for long time due to memory leak

I play a lot, being disabled it allows it haha, but after 3 hours of gameplay the game is eating over 2 gigs of ram and slows to a crawl.

I don't have these problems on a late 09 27" iMac. Most games ( mmos anyways ) take way over 2gbs of ram.

Champions Online uses the engine, I dont see anything wrong with it.

I don't know where you got that from, but it's completely untrue. Cryptic wrote their OWN game engine for Champions Online, and used it again in Star Trek Online. They use the HERO PnP ruleset for CO's game rules, but that's nothing at all to do with the engine.

My resolution is 1920 X 1080 which is fine for this game and as I said I hardly have a beast of a machine.

Look again, I didn't quote you.

Edit: great performance though, on your end. Have you been to the CS subforum threads about these issues? I'll take a look now. You'd probably do wonders there.

Edited by nblitz

My specs

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 2.8 Ghz Dual core

4 GB of DDR

Nvidia 9600 GT 1gb

Not a rocket-ship...hell not even a baseline PC these days yet I run SWTOR on max settings and get 55-65 FPS.

Why?

I understand my PC processes I know what takes your processing power; yes I know these kids with the quad cores and Dual GTX 580's are all computer engineers and advanced machine programmers....but the hard truth is 90% of issues that people are having with TOR is between the seat and Keyboard. I have helped out several so called PC experts to improve the performance of TOR in every case the issue was on their end no proper driver upgrade running things like an adult film torrent in the background or a BF2 Server :rolleyes:.....that isn't to say there isn't things that need to be addressed.

Now as far as the Hero Engine goes I have never seen such ignorance in one thread. I have worked with the Hero engine before it is very robust and very stable but Bioware isn't using the stock hero engine in fact when Bioware was done with it there was very little similarity with what is commercially available...mostly just back end stuff. I do however want to keep some of these whines for latter when the engine will be known for it's stability and expansion capability.

Also lets stop throwing around credentials especially enhanced ones...it makes you look silly. :rolleyes:

This post might deceive the more gullible members here, but for those of us who actually know how to tune a computer (of whom you are obviously not one) this post is so filled with ignorance as to almost laughable. No one who knows anything about computers is buying what you wrote above. You expect us to believe that you ran into a member running a dedicated FPS server on the same system he was trying to play the game on, but he was too stupid to figure out that he probably shouldn't try to play an MMO on a machine being used as a dedicated server? Not buying it.

Many of us know exactly what we're doing when it comes to tuning our rigs and the problem isn't with the rigs, it's with the client. I know exactly how much of my processor is being utilized, exactly how much of my RAM, and exactly how much of my graphics card. I know exactly how much of my bandwidth is being used up and exactly what my HDD transfer speeds are. I know exactly what processes are running in the background and exactly what applications are on or off at any time.

And I call BS on your 55-65 FPS constant claim on the highest settings claim.

With that rig, you are not running highest settings. You definitely do not have shadows to High and get that kind of performance. The fact you think any of us would believe that considering how shadows KILL the performance of this game is laughable.

Edited by Mannic

Also seeing folks scream about a Memory leak.....

I went to my friends house who just has this major mojo expensive PC it's water cooled Dual Nvidia 580's and twice the RAM he actually needs.

And he is just ranting on and on "Oh it's crap Oh It's a Memory leak!!!" I did a bit of checking and said:

Larry you're right it is a memory leak....and the leak is coming from the 450 GB Pr0n server that your'e running.

You also have forty two programs in your start up menu that are always constantly connected.

After a bit of time in msconfig and shutting down his servU torrent he was able to play the game on max settings very smoothly.

:rolleyes:

This post might deceive the more gullible members here, but for those of us who actually know how to tune a computer (of whom you are obviously not one) this post is so filled with ignorance as to almost laughable. No one who knows anything about computers is buying what you wrote above. You expect us to believe that you ran into a member running a dedicated FPS server on the same system he was trying to play the game on, but he was too stupid to figure out that he probably shouldn't try to play an MMO on a machine being used as a dedicated server? Not buying it.

Many of us know exactly what we're doing when it comes to tuning our rigs and the problem isn't with the rigs, it's with the client. I know exactly how much of my processor is being utilized, exactly how much of my RAM, and exactly how much of my graphics card. I know exactly how much of my bandwidth is being used up and exactly what my HDD transfer speeds are. I know exactly what processes are running in the background and exactly what applications are on or off at any time.

And I call BS on your 55-65 FPS constant claim on the highest settings claim.

With that rig, you are not running highest settings. You definitely do not have shadows to High and get that kind of performance. The fact you think any of us would believe that considering how shadows KILL the performance of this game is laughable.

Nice insults

So... we are doomed regarding the character responsiveness ?

If yes, I don't think I'll stay long time...

sadly we are doomed regarding many things because the Hero crap .... a million $ game runing over a free wysiwig world building engine .... i know they bought a license, but its exactly same version you can use for free.

Looking at your sig I have to ask are you running TOR through bootcamp? if not PM me your DXDIAG and your Process list one quick thing I can tell you to do is start the game alt tab out and look at where the priority of TOR is (you can find it by right clicking the SWTOR exe line under processes) If it is on low priority set it to high,

And I'll take a look and see whats up if I get those files.

I started that thread so people playing TOR on Apple hardware could have a place to discuss it.

I appreciate the offer, but I am using a Mac. Windows 7 is installed directly, on a separate drive, bypassing the Boot Camp utility altogether and using no Apple drivers. I understand for even the most savvy PC users that situation creates a mental block where suddenly they don't understand how Windows or computer hardware works anymore. ;)

RE-posting my specs:

8-core 2.8 GHz Xeon

12GB 800MHz DDR2

HD 6970 2GB GDDR5

I'm getting decent performance with max settings at 1920x1200 plus 4XAA in Catalyst 11.10, but I feel I should be getting better even though this machine is 4+ years old (except for the GPU of course), considering the high res textures are not in yet. I'm getting similar performance to what I get in the Witcher 2 maxed, which seems crazy to me.

If you're still interested I'll send you my DXdiag. I'll understand if you decline.

Edited by daemian

sadly we are doomed regarding many things because the Hero crap .... a million $ game runing over a free wysiwig world building engine .... i know they bought a license, but its exactly same version you can use for free.

No, it is not the same version, it's Bioware's own modified version. Bioware has all the access to develop and extend the engine. You have to be really stupid to believe a $300 million project is limited to the developers of a certain game engine.

Edited by Chikai

So... we are doomed regarding the character responsiveness ?

If yes, I don't think I'll stay long time...

this is so true if there is no sign that they will fix it after my 1st camecard run out im gone for sure. i love the story and the game itself but this make it unplayable for a competative thinking guy.

That isn't even close to be factual....the engine is a very modified version of what is available commercially. If you want to get more information on that join Georg Zollers Google circle he gives a lot of tech info and what was modified.

I started that thread so people playing TOR on Apple hardware could have a place to discuss it.

I appreciate the offer, but I am using a Mac. Windows 7 is installed directly, on a separate drive, bypassing the Boot Camp utility altogether and using no Apple drivers. I understand for even the most savvy PC users that situation creates a mental block where suddenly they don't understand how Windows or the hardware works anymore. ;)

RE-posting my specs:

8-core 2.8 GHz Xeon

12GB 800MHz DDR2

HD 6970 2GB GDDR5

I'm getting decent performance with max settings at 1920x1200 plus 4XAA in Catalyst 11.10, but I feel I should be getting better even though this machine is 4+ years old (except for the GPU of course), considering the high res textures are not in yet. I'm getting similar performance to what I get in the Witcher 2 maxed, which seems crazy to me.

If you're still interested I'll send you my DXdiag. I'll understand if you decline.

No it's cool feel free. :)

Hero's Journey was a running joke in the 90s among fans of Simutronic's games, I was amazed the day I learned they managed to get Bioware to license the engine.

I don't mean to suggest there is anything wrong with the engine -- who knows. It's just surprising given Simu's resources/"staff"

Edited by sangreal

I agree, the Hero Engine may not have been the best choice. It is graphically lacking, but you would think a game that is so graphically lacking would actually run good...it doesnt.

It's not "graphically lacking" (what do you even mean by that?), it's all up to the developers. What do you know about HeroEngine other than what you've read others claim?

You used it?

Edited by Chikai

No it's cool feel free. :)

Alright thanks, I have to run now but I'll send it some time tomorrow. Any advice is welcome.

By the way, I did check my priority for both swtor.exe processes and they're both set to high.

cheers :)

Edited by daemian

Hero's Journey was a running joke in the 90s among fans of Simutronic's games, I was amazed the day I learned they managed to get Bioware to license the engine.

That's funny considering that Heroes Journey wasn't widely even mentioned until 2000 and the Hero Engine was not even considered for Licensing until late 2003.

Edited by Jett-Rinn

That's funny considering that Heroes Journey wasn't widely even mentioned until 2000 and the Hero Engine was not even considered for Licensing until late 2003.

Hero's Journey was in development for a loooooong time, so long that it became vaporware along the lines of Duke Nukem 3D. Did you miss the part where he said it was a joke among "fans of Simutronics?"

Please stop embarassing yourself on these threads. Change TOR to higher priority in task manager? Lol!

I'm sorry about your reading comprehension :(

Enjoy some screenshots from 1999: http://www.play.net/simucon/memory/1999/saturday10.htm

As the poster above mentioned, I said among fans of Simutronics. It's not as big of a community as you might think (even back then).

Edited by sangreal

As a game developer myself, I find the ignorance on this thread quite depressing :(

Features like multi-core processing do not necessarily increase your framerate in games. There are a number of different factors that play into a games performance. realtime rendered applications are either CPU bound or GPU bound, and in a widely accessible MMO, this is often a moving target.

Instead of complaining about things you don't know about, I recommend that some research be done before you speak.

Here is a link to a wonderful book on Video Game optimization from my dear friend Ben Garney, a game industry veteran. This book uncovers some of the mysteries behind performance in games.

http://www.amazon.com/Video-Game-Optimization-Eric-Preisz/dp/1598634356

To the OP.

EA's Money > Activision's Money

I never made a statement in regards to monetary value of each company. This also reaffirms my point they should've spent more on an actual custom engine made to suit their game. Not sure what your point was here.