Make TOR More Challenging & Rewarding

Waypoc

Do you really think that BW is going to wave a magic wand and suddenly the game is going to require months and months of grinding and heroics will require 500+ wipes before a boss is downed? Yeah, don't see that happening.

I just wanted to comment on this part.

There is a middle ground. Maybe BW can work on finding it. Because to me they gone the other way. No challenge.

I just wanted to comment on this part.

There is a middle ground. Maybe BW can work on finding it. Because to me they gone the other way. No challenge.

****, dude, the game has been out less than a month. It's going to take some time to tune the game up and down.

I am 100% positive that BW is running metrics on every single aspect of this game and as they get the data in over time they will tune the game as necessary. Heck, they've said in vblogs that they rely heavily on metrics with regards to player use of UI, locations and most everything about the game.

You guys freaking compare this game to other games that have been around for awhile and expect everything to be 100% complete. Software and games, especially ones like this one, don't work that way.

But again, if you don't like it, if it's too easy for you, there are ways to challenge yourself or you can go play a game that requires so much effort that it doesn't become enjoyable.

Edited by Aleeha

I hated the grind of any game, but I loved it as well. Why? Because I knew after the grind for whatever it was, I knew earned it. In TOR there is no sense of satisfaction. You will always win. You will always get that gear. You may just have to do it more than once. This is true in other games due to difficulty. In TOR it's just because you didn't get your loot turn. No worries you'll get it next time. You will always win.

I never understood how anyone can, with a straight face, say grinding constitutes difficulty. It doesn't. All it really means is you have too much time on your hands. Questing is already grindy enough, in any MMO, we don't need to make it more so. When it comes to completing quests, making them more challenging sounds really good in theory but when you count in the fact that you will be completing hundreds, sometimes many thousands of quests, before level capping, it starts to sound a whole lot less appealing.

Questing is inherently grindy and if you make quests harder you risk simply burning your players out when every step of leveling is like sticking needles into your eyes.

I do agree that the game is a little easy. Especially if you do every quest in your path. If you do all the quests on each planet, including the heroics, you end up over leveling everything and quickly reach the point where even the heroics start to get a little easy (though may still require a small group, but not as large a group as the quest states).

It is also easy to make it harder. I skip content on purpose at this point in order to prevent myself from over leveling my next planet before I get there. At this point, I avoid cantina's like the plague because I don't want anymore rest XP. I'm getting too much XP already. :eek: I personally wish there was an XP toggle that I could use to turn off XP accumulation so I could prevent myself from over leveling the next planet without having to skip content.

Edited by KlintusFang

I totally agree. Sadly, we will never see swtor become that kind of game. They would never make this game harder.

We can fight to try to convince them to not dumb down the game any more. We can even fight for some type of sandbox features, which they said they would try to implement. There is room for both in one game.

I find that if I do the solo quests only (no PvP, no space, no FPS and no 2+/4+ heroic missions), I level on pace (including doing the grinding bonus mission tackons). If I do those other aspects, I outlevel. I think it is designed this way to avoid people from being forced to group to level.

The game is too easy huh? Well try doing things without a companion and come back and tell us how that worked out for you. When you use a companion you're using 2 people, so basically you're cheating your way to the top.

Think you're elite? Think you've got some skills to play a video game? Do it without a healer and then show us how good you are.

The game isn't nor has it every been billed to tailor to the HARDCORE MMO gamer. The game is just fine as it is and if you want a challenge it's there.

Seriously, these posts just seem like bored people who enjoy being rude to the people who've brought you this game. If you don't like it, if you're offended by the skill level necessary to complete the game, then just go away. Why post about it?

Do you really think that BW is going to wave a magic wand and suddenly the game is going to require months and months of grinding and heroics will require 500+ wipes before a boss is downed? Yeah, don't see that happening.

Just when you think the last dumb post you read was the dumbest.....

I do agree that the game is a little easy. Especially if you do every quest in your path. If you do all the quests on each planet, including the heroics, you end up over leveling everything and quickly reach the point where even the heroics start to get a little easy (though may still require a small group, but not as large a group as the quest states).

It is also easy to make it harder. I skip content on purpose at this point in order to prevent myself from over leveling my next planet before I get there. At this point, I avoid cantina's like the plague because I don't want anymore rest XP. I'm getting too much XP already. :eek: I personally wish there was an XP toggle that I could use to turn off XP accumulation so I could prevent myself from over leveling the next planet without having to skip content.

Here's what's funny & interesting about this. I have skipped ALL of the heroics and flashpoints except for Esseles, a couple on Alderaan and a +4 Heroic on Balmorra I did accidentally, yes accidentally, solo. No I'm not kidding. I was doing the bonus quest there and it put me in a heroic area and I saw clickies so I clicked. One thing led to another and I finished a +4 Heroic solo!!! I died a total of 3x doing it but I did it. SOLO.

And I should add that doing all of this, I still hit planets at the top end of their range all the time. I had to skip half of Taris because of it.

No the game is not too easy.

Edited by Waypoc

****, dude, the game has been out less than a month. It's going to take some time to tune the game up and down.

I am 100% positive that BW is running metrics on every single aspect of this game and as they get the data in over time they will tune the game as necessary. Heck, they've said in vblogs that they rely heavily on metrics with regards to player use of UI, locations and most everything about the game.

You guys freaking compare this game to other games that have been around for awhile and expect everything to be 100% complete. Software and games, especially ones like this one, don't work that way.

But again, if you don't like it, if it's too easy for you, there are ways to challenge yourself or you can go play a game that requires so much effort that it doesn't become enjoyable.

I want to move on. I do. But it's Star Wars. And there are times when I can have fun. But it's rare.

I find that if I do the solo quests only (no PvP, no space, no FPS and no 2+/4+ heroic missions), I level on pace (including doing the grinding bonus mission tackons). If I do those other aspects, I outlevel. I think it is designed this way to avoid people from being forced to group to level.

Yeah exactly right. It's almost like they're doing some sort of communist social experiment on us. lol

I think that, flat out, too much gear drops in MMOs nowadays.

I had level 20ish pants on a level 52 druid in EQ for a while. That's roughly equivalent to my Tier 10 Shaman in WoW wearing something from Stratholme. This just doesn't happen any more.

IMO gear disparity needs to increase drastically within a level with rares trumping your average drops 10-12 levels above them no problem, and epics being even better (unique effects, slots that aren't normally available at that level, etc). Do this and bring in XP loss/debt on death (but not level loss, problematic with level-restricted gear) and you just fixed your leveling economy as well.

Honestly these things are easy fixes, but for some reason companies balk at adding ANY difficulty to games nowadays.

Go play a korean MMO they're full of challenging and rewarding.

Want to hit level 50? Okay start grinding on mobs and maybe you'll hit it in a month if you play 8 hours a day.

I'm not here for challenging. I have a job, and life is stressful. I'm here to relax and enjoy the game.

+1

This game is as challenging as you want to make it. For example, try leveling without your companion. Thats what I do for a challenge and it works well.

Edited by Uhuru

Yeah exactly right. It's almost like they're doing some sort of communist social experiment on us. lol

what I was thinking is that it is almost like they calculated out how much xp you need to be the right level you need for the next planet and then made sure that is the amount of XP a casual player will get if they just do the base non-heroic quests on the previous planets and no FPs. :p

That said, I do feel they give too much XP for the quests. I want to do more than the basics, because it is the heroics and the FPs that are most challenging, and therefore, fun. But I don't want to out level the challenging content either and end up making it too easy as well.

At this point, as I said before, I skip a lot of content, on purpose, just to keep my level on par with the level of the encounters.

what I was thinking is that it is almost like they calculated out how much xp you need to be the right level you need for the next planet and then made sure that is the amount of XP a casual player will get if they just do the base non-heroic quests on the previous planets and no FPs. :p

That said, I do feel they give too much XP for the quests. I want to do more than the basics, because it is the heroics and the FPs that are most challenging, and therefore, fun. But I don't want to out level the challenging content either and end up making it too easy as well.

At this point, as I said before, I skip a lot of content, on purpose, just to keep my level on par with the level of the encounters.

I think that's what they did.

An easy fix for this would be the ability to turn off XP for a certain period of time -- that way the casuals can still level per the plan, but people who want to play all the content while it is still somewhat challenging can do so without outleveling the next content.

An easy fix for this would be the ability to turn off XP for a certain period of time -- that way the casuals can still level per the plan, but people who want to play all the content while it is still somewhat challenging can do so without outleveling the next content.

I agree. I said the same thing in my other reply. I would love to be able to turn off XP progression while I finish up the loose ends on one planet before moving on. Instead, I just skip them. But I do remember what I skipped, and when my alt goes through, he'll do the things that my first toon didn't do and skip the others. ;)

Wanting to play every quest has nothing to do with casual/hardcore. I want difficulty in my games, but I have no interest in completing every quest. I'm the kind of guy that'll grind mobs for scavenging, pvp while he quests, etc. I typically do planet main/story main and side quests if they seem neat.

This also helps with subsequent playthroughs as I can experience "new" content on alts.

It started with WOW. WOW was mind numbingly boring and I couldn't take it for more than a couple of weeks.

EQ was the last real challenge in an MMO.

SWG's PVP and DAOC's RvR were the best PVP challenges (nothing like building bases and attacking others' in SWG).