The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why go Vanguard?

Hyfy

Not a knock on Vanguards, truth be told I haven't tried one yet. I'm just not sure why I should go Vanguard over Commando. They both wear heavy armor and both have respectable HP pools. But the Commando gets heals, and I believe, a higher damage weapon. So what reason is there to go Vanguard over Commando? I've got a trooper I barely started, and tried Commando during BETA, and just wondering where I want to go with him.

Not a knock on Vanguards, truth be told I haven't tried one yet. I'm just not sure why I should go Vanguard over Commando. They both wear heavy armor and both have respectable HP pools. But the Commando gets heals, and I believe, a higher damage weapon. So what reason is there to go Vanguard over Commando? I've got a trooper I barely started, and tried Commando during BETA, and just wondering where I want to go with him.

Not a knock on Oranges, truth be told I haven't tried one yet. I'm just not sure why I should go Oranges over Apple. They both are fruits and both taste sweet. But the Apple is red, and I believe, has more vitamine c. So what reason is there to go Orange over Apple? I've got a fruit I barely started, and tried Apple during BREAKFAST, and just wondering where I want to go with him.

Perhaps some like oranges...

It's all about how you want to play. Vanguard is a Tank, while Commando is a healer or DPS.

If you want to hang back and pew pew, go commando, if you want to get up close and personal and smash someones face in with the butt of your gun go vanguard.

It's all about how you want to play. Vanguard is a Tank, while Commando is a healer or DPS.

If you want to hang back and pew pew, go commando, if you want to get up close and personal and smash someones face in with the butt of your gun go vanguard.

Wrong. Vanguard is tank or dps, Commando is heals or dps.

Not a knock on Oranges, truth be told I haven't tried one yet. I'm just not sure why I should go Oranges over Apple. They both are fruits and both taste sweet. But the Apple is red, and I believe, has more vitamine c. So what reason is there to go Orange over Apple? I've got a fruit I barely started, and tried Apple during BREAKFAST, and just wondering where I want to go with him.

Perhaps some like oranges...

Well that didn't take long to find. Almost immediately with a rather benign question I immediately draw the ire of a forum troll. Instead the correct response is "hey X, X, and X are what the vanguard does differently or better/worse and they have X skill and Y ability....etc". Instead I get a rather mundane post from someone who THINKS they are clever.

Well I can see I'm in a good mood today.

I played both commando and vanguard. commando doing a lot of damage but often are a stationary damage dealer. Then I switched to Vanguard and immediately fell in love with it (so far! i'm only lvl 20) I love running around smashing ppl face in. I would begin my battle with mortar volley or full auto, ion pulse as i get closer and then stock strike in CQB.

A lot of fun imo.

I played both commando and vanguard. commando doing a lot of damage but often are a stationary damage dealer. Then I switched to Vanguard and immediately fell in love with it (so far! i'm only lvl 20) I love running around smashing ppl face in. I would begin my battle with mortar volley or full auto, ion pulse as i get closer and then stock strike in CQB.

A lot of fun imo.

Thank you, this was kind of response I was hoping for.

Well that didn't take long to find. Almost immediately with a rather benign question I immediately draw the ire of a forum troll. Instead the correct response is "hey X, X, and X are what the vanguard does differently or better/worse and they have X skill and Y ability....etc". Instead I get a rather mundane post from someone who THINKS they are clever.

You asked a question, on a forum, you are subject to trolling no matter how good or relevant your question is, ***** about it.

Secondly, go watch some videos and look at skill trees and ability lists on torhead. Just do something on your *********** own.

While they're still both relatively low level (in their late teens) I've got both a Vanguard and a Commando. I absolutely loved the Trooper class right up until I specced Commando at which point the class lost all luster to me. After restarting and choosing Vanguard I fell back in love with the class and am cooking with gas.

The big difference for me was the playstyle. While the Commando can absolutely ream mobs in jaw-dropping fashion for me it just wasn't as fun as Vanguard. I'd just run in, hit Hail of Bolts (AoE blaster fire) two or three times and drop a group of mobs then move on. It was super simple and the main thing I was disliking was I lost the dynamic of mixing the ranged with the melee. I originally chose Commando because as stated in the OP they have heals, high dps and heavy armor, but what I've noticed, heard and read is that the heavy armor doesn't really account for much defense. I did enjoy the healing aspect and would prefer to heal over tank for a secondary role, but again actually playing the character was far less fun.

The Vanguard on the other hand is a blast. You still have a healthy assortment of ranged attacks but you follow them up with smashing your opponent in the face with the butt of your gun, frying him with an ion/electrical blast and gutting him with your knife. The combination of ranged and melee is just more interesting to me than sitting back turret-firing.

You asked a question, on a forum, you are subject to trolling no matter how good or relevant your question is, ***** about it.

Secondly, go watch some videos and look at skill trees and ability lists on torhead. Just do something on your *********** own.

I do do my own homework, I just wanted people's opinions on what they liked or disliked about the AC. Wanted to hear people's arguments as to why I should give it a try or not. Not to have someone turn around and act like a dooshcanoe with no provocation. So I would say learn to read instead of sitting on your soapbox preaching about an irrelevant point.

Are my intentions clear enough now?

As I said in another thread, from a PvP perspective: You're just like a wee normal soldier going up against lighting shooting, glow-stick wielding magicians, and you get to smack them in the face with the butt of your rifle and show them how a real man fights. Its doubly amusing if they've made their Sith character look like a drag queen, in bad makeup, on halloween.

How could you not want to do this? :D

Edited by Tindahbawx

U saw the troll? next time dont immediantly start crying but look behind the mirror. u will see the message behind it:

u are comparing two completly different things like saying (another example cause u dont seem to like fruits):

blablabla have played warrior, has nice big axe. Mage has not, so why should i play it??blablabla

And as a poster said before:

"Go watch some videos and look at skill trees and ability lists on torhead. Just do something on your *********** own!"

U call me troll? Sure...fight fire with fire!!!!

/kiss

Its doubly amusing if they've made their Sith character look like a drag queen, in bad makeup, on halloween.

How could you not want to do this? :D

This guy gets it. What could be more satisfying than slamming the butt of your rifle into some emo's face?

I find it quite satisfying both IRL and in game.

- I really like tanking.

- I find a blaster more Special Forces like than a cannon.

- I prefer up close and personal over long range and it feels cool to run at your target shooting, closer you get, the cooler your skills become, including punching the dude in the face with your gun.

I can think of a couple more, but above are mostly relevant for me. I simply fell in love with the Vanguard class.

U saw the troll? next time dont immediantly start crying but look behind the mirror. u will see the message behind it:

u are comparing two completly different things like saying (another example cause u dont seem to like fruits):

blablabla have played warrior, has nice big axe. Mage has not, so why should i play it??blablabla

And as a poster said before:

"Go watch some videos and look at skill trees and ability lists on torhead. Just do something on your *********** own!"

U call me troll? Sure...fight fire with fire!!!!

/kiss

Well then you missed the point of what I was getting at, and still have failed to read what I said. I already said I do do my own homework but wanted to be othe people opinions that have rolled a Vanguard. Someones opinion, something you dont get from a video that simply shows gameplay. Hence me saying I've tried one side but not the othe so what is ya'lls opinion on the AC I haven't tried. It's really simple to understand really.

To those who got it and posted your opinions, thank you it is appreciated.

Well then you missed the point of what I was getting at, and still have failed to read what I said. I already said I do do my own homework but wanted to be othe people opinions that have rolled a Vanguard. Someones opinion, something you dont get from a video that simply shows gameplay. Hence me saying I've tried one side but not the othe so what is ya'lls opinion on the AC I haven't tried. It's really simple to understand really.

To those who got it and posted your opinions, thank you it is appreciated.

Hyfy, I kindly advice to ignore guys like that, for it will make your experience with the game/forums etc more fun. :)

Ontopic, Vanguards are awesome, as I've describes two posts before.

Mobility, mobility and mobility. Tanking, getting close and "personal". And one more time mobility. I love being able to move without losing potential dps. Almost all attacks are instant cast. Thats why I'm Vanguard. :)

I play a Vanguard tank, and I love tanking, love the mix of ranged aoe, followed by some hard hitting mid-ranged shot from my blaster rifle (which seems more SpecForce-ish to me), concluded with a nice slam from the butt of my gun.

Havn't tried the commado, but if I'd roll one, I'd probably go for the healing, not the dps

(healers have a fairly better chance of getting into flashpoints, compared to dps'ers)

Mobility, mobility and mobility. Tanking, getting close and "personal". And one more time mobility. I love being able to move without losing potential dps. Almost all attacks are instant cast. Thats why I'm Vanguard. :)

This.

Same reason here.

There is a reason why SI and Operatives are QQing about vanguards, not commandos, lol.

Mobility and instacast is king in pvp, and is useful in pve too against mobs that has a lot of channelling attacks.