The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Servers Up Very Early! But Why...

Alohen

I'm kind of Bothered that they want to fix Emotes for Mounts before Player's Starships Galaxy Map bugging in Groups.. or Warzone Premade Groups disbanding when they Enter and then being Solo when Exiting.. These are the little things that are actively impacting more people than.. I want to be able to /wave In my speeder.

( Just an Example, Dont assume thats all I think they did )

One thing everyone should understand is that there are multiple people doing multiple things. Of course they're going to pop in as many quick and easy fixes as they can in each patch, along with any big stuff they have planned.

Dev 1: "Hey, I have 10 small fixes ready, sent through QA and tested."

Dev 2: "Nah, lets wait to fix these small ones and instead all focus on one thing and get nothing else done."

I would unsub in a heart-beat if this were the case...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

you can't possibly be this dense. just because an issue isn't fixed doesn't mean they aren't working on it (especially when they've specifically stated that they are working on it). issues like that aren't simple and it's ludicrous to assume they could fix it in this short of a time frame :rolleyes:

Oh no no no, dont get me wrong I do know that things don't get fixed overnight most of the time, but Certain problems happened in Beta that haven't been fixed and some things happened in Launch that are now huge and I do know that they are being worked on, but its just the fact it seems they aren't paying that much attention to it. Maybe its just me, I dont know.

One thing everyone should understand is that there are multiple people doing multiple things. Of course they're going to pop in as many quick and easy fixes as they can in each patch, along with any big stuff they have planned.

Dev 2: "Nah, lets wait to fix these small ones and instead all focus on one thing and get nothing else done."

I would unsub in a heart-beat if this were the case...

Yeah I agree with that, fair enough. But i See it as;

Head of Dev Team: "Ok nice, Where are we with the huge bugs with Clients that stop some people from playing?"

Dev 1 & 2: "oooohh right those... Ok we will get back to that now.."

Head of Dev Team: "Alright, well give them Emotes for Speeders while you are at it, that'll keep them happy"

I know I sound absolutely Mental but Im just being Honest, thats how it seems to me

Are you serious?

I quote you the line again, please read carefully:

My graphics settings are on "high", I still get "medium" textures.

Therefore, my settings are not consistent with actual settings in use.

just a brief question; can someone care to explain, if my actual settings in-game are set to high, where can i see that they are actually medium? Whats the file that stores this settings called and what's the location of it?

Ty

Edited by ncore

I'm kind of Bothered that they want to fix Emotes for Mounts before Player's Starships Galaxy Map bugging in Groups.. or Warzone Premade Groups disbanding when they Enter and then being Solo when Exiting.. These are the little things that are actively impacting more people than.. I want to be able to /wave In my speeder.

( Just an Example, Dont assume thats all I think they did )

its not that they want to do that before, its just that it got done first. The interns fixed the easy one line coding bug before the real programmers could fix the big issue. Nothing special here.

Head of Dev Team: "Ok nice, Where are we with the huge bugs with Clients that stop some people from playing?"

Head of Dev Team: "Alright, well give them Emotes for Speeders while you are at it, that'll keep them happy"

I know I sound absolutely Mental but Im just being Honest, thats how it seems to me

in reality its more like this:

new Dev 1: Hey, I have 10 small fixes ready, sent through QA and tested

Head of the Dev Team: "Okay nice, hey Team alpha, how's it coming with the Ability lag?"

Head of team Alpha: "Not to good sir, We've isolated the cause but squashing it without breaking 20 other things is just not happening right now. We need some more time."

head of the Dev Team: alright, keep me posted. New Dev 1, you're new task is to *insert easy fix here*

New Dev 1: Yessir!

Edited by Mormack

nobody cares cuz it doesn't work.

If you actually read this thread and patch notes but MORE IMPORTANTLY understood them then you will know that the patch never promised to correct high resolution textures.

its not that they want to do that before, its just that it got done first. The interns fixed the easy one line coding bug before the real programmers could fix the big issue. Nothing special here.

Yeah I suppose, but you'd think Many are doing it so that more than 30 things got fixed per week.. I'd expect they do about 20 things per day if they were doing there job.. then again I dont know how Hard their jobs are... I just hope they keep the fixes coming , I dont care if they took the game down for 24 hours, as long as they put in good fixes that were useful, but dont take the game down for 2-8 hours if you are going to barely fix anything in the first place, which others on other threads seem to think has been done.

If you actually read this thread and patch notes but MORE IMPORTANTLY understood them then you will know that the patch never promised to correct high resolution textures.

lol IF you READ any of MY posts you would know I agree with you.... Also the post you QUOTED only mentioned the WORKAROUND. God learn to *********** read.

Is Anyone else Suspicious About this? I know I am, I'm at work and I've seen that the servers came up at 10:30 thismorning and I'm under the impression they didnt get what they estimated as 8 hours of maintenance in 2.5 hours.. Anyone else feel the same? Correct me if Im wrong please.

Disclaimer for the Fanatics as It Seems I wasnt Clear:

This is Not Complaining about the Length of Downtime

Are you really complaining?

Oh dear god. Too long - bad.

Too short - bad.

Can anyone please these people?

they applied a patch. if everything went smoothly in the process yes it will get done early. if the patch took 2hrs or if took 70hrs. no more or less is getting done.

this patch was approved to be applied. just because the servers are down doesnt mean the code monkeys are writing new code to be put in right away, they have to test it first. gosh darn. seriously 30days up yet? and are only active accounts allowed to post?

Edited by Mrshush

It is kind of funny in a bad way. They have a 6 hours maintenance that goes over last week, and people scream at them. So this week, they are cautious with their estimate and overestimate by roughly 4 and a half hours, and people are creating conspiracy theories. I am starting to believe that blizzard hires employees to go onto other game's forums at launch and bash the games.

Are you kidding me? In the world we live in today? You can COUNT on it. This world could not be more corrupt.

are you ppl that stupid? they applied a patch. if everything went smoothly in the process yes it will get done early. if the patch took 2hrs or if took 70hrs. no more or less is getting done.

this patch was approved to be applied. just because the servers are down doesnt mean the code monkeys are writing new code to be put in right away, they have to test it first. gosh darn. seriously 30days up yet? and are only active accounts allowed to post?

lol learn2read then learn2post.

they applied a patch. if everything went smoothly in the process yes it will get done early. if the patch took 2hrs or if took 70hrs. no more or less is getting done.

Yes but the whole point of this thread is, I'd rather Wait 8 Hours than 2.5 hours for more fixes, they can't only have sorted the ones they have "fixed" today, and I hear more and more bugs have popped up since todays patch, not a lot seems to be being done.

LOL it looks like some people think that they actually fix things DURING the maintenance. Hilarious. They work on bug and fixes on test servers, the maintenance is only necessary for the deployment of the new version of the game, to restart servers and stuff like that. They don't do any coding during the maintenance, lol.

If there servers were unstable or if the current game version didn't match with the patch notes, you could blame the short maintenance, but it is not the case here.

Edited by elarahis

I develop software for a living. No way that any company that has more than a single developer works the way you described above. You have teams, generally teams of teams meaning that you have a team of designers, developers, product manager, and testers dedicated to certain systems. Then you have to have the team that works on the game engine itself, the team that works on the network stuff, etc.

And just because you are a developer doesn't mean that you can work on anything. I have not done a ton of work with networking, so putting someone like me on those tasks would only waste time because I would be asking more questions than getting work done.

With any large product that is in maintenance mode (post release) you have long running tasks and short ones. They get prioritized based on impact or known impact. Some bugs are real difficult to track down to specific causes, so in internal builds you may put out a couple of proposed fixes that just don't entirely work.

Lastly, if all anyone was doing was working on long running tasks, you might not see a patch for a month or more. And that is the last thing you want to do once in maintenance. You need to keep a scheduled patch day and time for your sake and the customer's sake so your customers know you are working on stuff and so you can prevent super builds that will bust your maintenence window. Plus, sometimes you have small fixes that are pre-requisites to larger ones that can go into a build. Also, the patch notes are probably not the complete changeset because your customers don't give a damn about fixes that they cannot see.

Shrug, maybe patch notes should be have a link to the list of files changed, database changes made, network changes made, etc. Maybe then people would get an idea of the scope of a patch.

Yes but the whole point of this thread is, I'd rather Wait 8 Hours than 2.5 hours for more fixes, they can't only have sorted the ones they have "fixed" today, and I hear more and more bugs have popped up since todays patch, not a lot seems to be being done.

So you propose they keep the servers down for 5.5 more hours and code some fixes? Maintenance and patch cycles don't work that way.

LOL it looks like some people think that they actually fix things DURING the maintenance. Hilarious. They work on bug and fixes on test servers, the maintenance is only necessary for the deployment of the new version of the game, to restart servers and stuff like that. They don't do any coding during the maintenance, lol.

If there servers were unstable or if the current game version didn't match with the patch notes, you could blame the short maintenance, but it is not the case here.

Well I didnt think they just start to work on these when the servers go down, :p

I thought they'd be trying fixed all the time, and then used maintenance to apply it and test if it is actually fixed? Or am I wrong. If so feel free to correct me.

Edited by Alohen

Having played a lot of MMOs over the years, this is really kinda awesome, so thanks for making me smile. :o

Without enough historical behavior to base it on, it's hard to say, but it might be an indication that in the future they will post really long down times, 'just in case' it takes that long, but it may never really take that long?

The alternative would be to say "downtime will take 2 hours", and it takes 4-5, and then you have some 'really' angry people.