Rage of the Day

AtusesDorne

Okay do u know how hard it is to sit down and go through a billion lines of coding and fix the problem..... FOR EVER. And if you fix that something else is bound to go wrong because changing the coding sequence changes everything. For example if i change one tiny bit of ur DNA it changes ur whole structure and things are bound to go wrong. So dont whine about the patch being small it takes forever to iron these things out. If u can do it faster by all means go ahead. But if u cant then be quite enjoy what u have. The bigger and more complex the game the bug prone it is. Also bigger bugs take more time so be patient as Yoda would say all good things come to those who wait.

I love the generic "I am a programmer - did you know it is hard to program stuff, true story" type posts.

How about you come back when you ship a business level software project to a client in this sort of state, then come back and say that this is fine. I'd be rewriting my CV.

Okay do u know how hard it is to sit down and go through a billion lines of coding and fix the problem..... FOR EVER. And if you fix that something else is bound to go wrong because changing the coding sequence changes everything. For example if i change one tiny bit of ur DNA it changes ur whole structure and things are bound to go wrong. So dont whine about the patch being small it takes forever to iron these things out. If u can do it faster by all means go ahead. But if u cant then be quite enjoy what u have. The bigger and more complex the game the bug prone it is. Also bigger bugs take more time so be patient as Yoda would say all good things come to those who wait.

As a programmer, do you know of any sort of way to find bugs like this? Is there some sort of testing phase or something that you can go through or do you just have to cross your fingers and hope everything works out?

As a programmer, do you know of any sort of way to find bugs like this? Is there some sort of testing phase or something that you can go through or do you just have to cross your fingers and hope everything works out?

Do you mean ..Alpha/beta testing? wow now there's agreat idea;)

I believe they call that Alpha, Beta and stress testing.

I'm not sure if SWtor did any of those though as their programmers must be going through billions of lines of code right now huh.

That must be hard!

As a programmer: do you know that if you make something idiot proof then the world will just design a better idiot!

Testing will find a lot/most of the bugs, but there is nothing like customers to find the real nasty stuff.

Yoda would not say "all good things come to those who wait", it would be more like "to those who wait, all good things, come they will".

Some bugs are just so bad, they are talking about releasing a new flashpoint and expanding the hutta boss. The operations they have dont even work right. We fought garhj or however you spell him today, a 1 shot the week before, but this week he decided to not do anything except jump up and down and never change platforms, we shrugged it off and went back for another go, this time he spawned new platforms, but one decided to completely disappear as we got to it. Finally on our 3rd go he decided to cooperate and do the fight properly. An easy boss with almost no mechanics, yet we wiped twice because he decided to bug out.

Im getting off topic here, but I dont even know how much I want to raid considering Bioware is completely unimaginative with bosses, and the raid loot makes my sorc look like a *** member. Soa was ok, but the rest of the bosses were just tank and spank fights or free loot (LOL PUZZLE/the 8 guys after it).

I'm not certain you understand programming code or DNA...

FYI we all have varied alleles and despite all this we're structurally homogenous.

I love the generic "I am a programmer - did you know it is hard to program stuff, true story" type posts.

How about you come back when you ship a business level software project to a client in this sort of state, then come back and say that this is fine. I'd be rewriting my CV.

Oh come on. Most enterprise level software ships blatantly incomplete and with a list of 'acceptable' bugs. This game works, I can play from 1 to 50 with only minor irritations.

What people forget is that bug free code is virtually impossible, and quality control suffers from massive diminishing returns in terms of man-hours. Frankly this came compares favourably to any MMO launch I can recall offhand.

It's actually very difficult. Mind you, I'm not making any excuses for Bioware releasing buggy software, there are companies that continuously produce bug-free code but they are a rare exception.

The problem we have when writing programs is that we don't have any rigorous formal background to fall back to. If you compare writing a program to building a bridge for instance. When we build bridges we have teams of engineers that do lots of calculations on all sorts of things. Sure there is best-practice involved here as well, but there are also plenty of mathematical models to calculate how much weight the bridge will support before collapsing. Once the bridge is complete, we are reasonably confident that it won't collapse under its own weight, or when we send the first train across it.

We have been building bridges for thousands of years.

We have very few such methods available for software. Software correctness is usually 'verified' by testing, testing and yet more testing. For complex systems it quickly becomes impossible to think of all the test-cases and things invariably fall between the cracks, and bugs are introduced. We don't have many mathematical models to fall back on. There are several being researched, but the average programmer today is scared ******** of mathematics and goes into a tantrum when he sees a greek letter. Programmers are typically not engineers -- they are much more like painters or sculptors and they heavily resort to best-practice and testing to ensure that their code is correct. They don't really have many other options.

We have been writing programs for a few decades.

Once again, this does not excuse any company for releasing buggy software, but skilled programmers are hard to come by and they are necessary in order to keep the complexity manageable as the size of the project increases.

yes i know.

in my opinion, its the java generations fault.

introducing the brackets not to surround a function starts all the ungrown new ideas of coding.

function(moo)

{

startbracket(is,allone);

}

that was the classical, honestly page eating codestyle but they wanted to shorten it by

function(muh) {

startbracket(is, behind, function);

}

The history went on and we grow from spaghetti code over the functional OOP to the curent classes system.

So its a difference, to be a developer, or a coder.

Coders nowadays do only the monkey job, thats why they called codemonkeys.

In the grey past, the developers had no big IDE for clicky-colors, the bash is our best friend since forever.

Todays developers using cooperations, in our case here with http://www.heroengine.com .

The game can only be that good, as the Herocloud is.

Yoda would not say "all good things come to those who wait", it would be more like "to those who wait, all good things, come they will".

are we talking original trilogy or the prequals? because even as a raving 900 year old lunatic he still spoke fairly properly in ESB and ROTJ. they turned him into a complete moron in the prequals.

yes i know.

in my opinion, its the java generations fault.

introducing the brackets not to surround a function starts all the ungrown new ideas of coding.

function(moo)

{

startbracket(is,allone);

}

that was the classical, honestly page eating codestyle but they wanted to shorten it by

function(muh) {

startbracket(is, behind, function);

}

The history went on and we grow from spaghetti code over the functional OOP to the curent classes system.

So its a difference, to be a developer, or a coder.

Coders nowadays do only the monkey job, thats why they called codemonkeys.

In the grey past, the developers had no big IDE for clicky-colors, the bash is our best friend since forever.

Todays developers using cooperations, in our case here with http://www.heroengine.com .

The game can only be that good, as the Herocloud is.

I cried a little when I read this post. Finally, someone who knows what their talking about!