Separatists Stronghold is too hard

occamsnailfile

So these missions are not marked as heroic, but they seem to be balanced against group damage output--this might be a companion, but I was not offered a chance to get a companion before attempting these quests. There are several mobs inside who are simply too difficult to fight despite being even-leveled, the Imperial Officers in particular. There is no way to do this quest without help, or a companion that I don't have. It needs tuning.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no way to do this quest without help, or a companion that I don't have.

Really? Then explain why a million troopers have already done it

No, it doesn't need a nerf. It's not that hard and it's good to give you some kind of challenge in the starter world.

Best case scenario: Sticky grenade, ion pulse/mortar volley, whatever you have at that level, use a medpac if necessary, take the whole group down in one shot. I've done this many a time.

Worst case: Sticky grenade, ion pulse, blow up the two people aiding the officer, then die and use a medical probe to rez you and annihilate the officer while he's by himself.

You only need to fight one group, you can avoid the other two with officers. If you mess up and aggro them, just die and medical probe, then use the stealth to position yourself near the only essential group.

Now go forth, and start getting better rather than requesting a nerf any time a group of mobs kills you.

I think i did solo it with my companion. May be u use the wrong companion? Try get the tank or the healer one?

He's talking about the last quest on Ord Mantell, when you're by yourself

Edited by Duradel

The mission is assigned to you before the first Companion becomes available, and it is quite difficult. I spent the better part of a weekend attempting it without success.

Find a Smuggler PC of roughly equal level to you, ask him or her for help. Form a group and tackle it together (especially as they have already gotten their first Companion). You'll complete your story mission, the smuggler will get some good XP, and you'll both net some above average gear. Win-win.

This is what that second 'M' in MMO is all about.

The mission is assigned to you before the first Companion becomes available, and it is quite difficult. I spent the better part of a weekend attempting it without success.

Find a Smuggler PC of roughly equal level to you, ask him or her for help. Form a group and tackle it together (especially as they have already gotten their first Companion). You'll complete your story mission, the smuggler will get some good XP, and you'll both net some above average gear. Win-win.

This is what that second 'M' in MMO is all about.

No, don't take the easy route when a great opportunity to make you better at the class is at your fingertips. Just do it on your own like (almost) everybody else

No, don't take the easy route when a great opportunity to make you better at the class is at your fingertips. Just do it on your own like (almost) everybody else

Agreed the place is piss easy nerfing it would be laughable learn to play the class

There is only 1 "challenging" room. the one with a raiaed part (with 1 officer + add) and 2 officers flanking it. The officers below are Gunslingers and can dish out lots of damage, but you have to kill only 1 of the below ones, to get t the final (who is a lot easier, than the 2 "Gunslinger" officers).

Frankly i liked the challenge, and if you clear up the room, you have a few places to break LOS. Died once but got them without Adds. At worst. aggo, run up platform die on 1 side, Mediprobe, rebuff, and kill the one on the platform, then run out.

So these missions are not marked as heroic, but they seem to be balanced against group damage output--this might be a companion, but I was not offered a chance to get a companion before attempting these quests. There are several mobs inside who are simply too difficult to fight despite being even-leveled, the Imperial Officers in particular. There is no way to do this quest without help, or a companion that I don't have. It needs tuning.

Um I went through them like a freight train by my self?

A dented and F'ed up one at the end but, it was not hard.

I did level quickly thoe. What level did you try this one at?

Um I went through them like a freight train by my self?

A dented and F'ed up one at the end but, it was not hard.

I did level quickly thoe. What level did you try this one at?

This is what I was wondering...

You just need to learn to play, really. I bet you're even burning your ammo down until you're empty aren't you? The Sep Stronghold is incredibly easy, just take some time to read your codex and learn your class, then you'll be fine.

I just did the stronghold this morning on my 2nd Trooper. Mowed everything but the Imperial Officers down with relative ease. I wasn't ready for the damage the Imp Officers did so I died once because I didn't use a Medpack. After that, an Imp Officer and 2 adds were tough but totally doable. Use all of your abilities on cooldown and don't forget consumables. Medpacks and stims can be your friends! :)

I found it hard to entering it so I popped a level first and went back and it was doable. You need these challenges to face to really learn your class capabilities.

If it's not working for you, try another class and you may find easier too.

This is incorrect, as people have been noting.

I went through the Imperial section at level 8 without trouble. The key, and it is always the key is using hard cover.

Sticky grenade. Explosive round. Duck behind a corner while the officer uses Unload. If the sticky doesn't do in the officer's companions, they'll come round soon. Pulse em. Then just pop out, snap a grenade or Explosive at the officer, duck back in if you need to. They wear down quick. Heal up, repeat with next trio.

It's easy enough to deal with the Commando-equivalents too. Again- hit em with sticky, get behind cover while they try to debuff your armor with a barrage, pop out and zap em again- if he comes in close around cover, you just pulse/Stockstrike him into the ground.

And worst case, you hit level 10, get Mortar Barrage and proceed to melt everything's faces as it'll pretty much obliterate everything in the area. Then get your companion and go have fun soloing the Heroic repeatables, getting the Datacron at the top of the hill, and learning how to solo for random blues and loving life.

I've put two troopers through Ord Mantell and had no problems. Possibly your situation is:

--Bad gear (get better gear with Aim on it).

--Don't have or not using all your abilities correctly (make sure you're trained up on everything and you know how it works).

--Blowing all your cells in the first few seconds and your in-combat recharge and having nothing left (intersperse Hammer Shot with your bigger abilities so your cells last longer).

--Not using stims and medpacks (use Fortitude stims for extra endurance, at low levels it's better than having more Aim from reflex stims).

--You're too low-level. I did the stronghold at level 8. You can easily wait until you're another level higher before you do these quests. Plenty of other things to do.

--Pulse is your bestest friend in the whole wide world at this point. :)

I thought that it was a lot harder in beta. I basically breezed through it this round with my trooper. My thought are that they actually made that part easier. In beta I died probably 5-7 times trying . Wasn't even really was a challenge this time around.

I have soloed every class through the end of the first world. The Trooper is the hardest class to solo, by far, and all because of this one room. My thanks go to those proposing real solutions: use of hard cover, hit-and hide tactics, avoiding all but essential targets. Still, the number of people who suggest you can't get out of this room without dying once or twice is staggering: nowhere else in the game is a class quest phase that lethal. I have never finished this room without using the L10 Mortar Volley power, though it's quite easy to be ready to enter before reaching L10.

Those of you with the breezy response "learn to play the class!" should consider: many people won't bother; they'll play something else with a more solo-able class quest chain, and there will be fewer Troopers in the world. Good for those who like Troopers, I suppose, but when the rest of us decide the game doesn't NEED Troopers, you won't be in much demand. If the devs decide there aren't enough Troopers compared to other classes, something is likely to change.

I have soloed every class through the end of the first world. The Trooper is the hardest class to solo, by far, and all because of this one room. My thanks go to those proposing real solutions: use of hard cover, hit-and hide tactics, avoiding all but essential targets. Still, the number of people who suggest you can't get out of this room without dying once or twice is staggering: nowhere else in the game is a class quest phase that lethal. I have never finished this room without using the L10 Mortar Volley power, though it's quite easy to be ready to enter before reaching L10.

Those of you with the breezy response "learn to play the class!" should consider: many people won't bother; they'll play something else with a more solo-able class quest chain, and there will be fewer Troopers in the world. Good for those who like Troopers, I suppose, but when the rest of us decide the game doesn't NEED Troopers, you won't be in much demand. If the devs decide there aren't enough Troopers compared to other classes, something is likely to change.

Oh boy...

First off, nobody said you NEED to die two or even one times to finish this. It was said that if you still suck at the class, or even the game in general, you will have to suck it up and take a couple deaths. Most of us didn't die in this room, and those who did used it to improve, and didn't demand it be noted as a heroic or nerfed.

Second, if a death or two on the starter planet causes anyone such anguish that they quit the class entirely, good riddance. We don't need those people sullying our class's integrity.

Third, your train of thought completely baffles me. You think people won't want troopers anymore because their starter planet is difficult? Think about that for a minute and hopefully it will resonate with you how idiotic that assumption is.

I agree that, out of the 4 or so classes i've leveled, the trooper is the most difficult at the beginning. I like it that way. Does that mean there are less troopers? Probably not, but if there are, we will be MORE in demand, not less.

If you want to play this class, suck it up (at least for the first 10 measly levels) or go away. This post is bad and you should feel bad. That is all.

Edited by Duradel

I did the area solo, but I am inclined to agree with the OP that one section of that area is very very difficult.

As a 50 Commando I was running a friend through that area last night when we got to a 1 Trooper only zone, which is when I laughed at him over vent and said, "Yeah, good luck with that one. That was 41 levels ago and I still remember how hard that room is."

It took a stim, a medpac, and some RNG luck and I managed to get the guy down with ~5% health remaining myself. I told my friend to just skip it if it wasn't class, and then watched his life bar to zero multiple times as he tried it. I would blame it on poor playskills, but I know that for both he and I to have so much trouble with one encounter that it's a doozy.

Posts in this thread are garbage. I'm as elitist as anyone but that's the NEWBIE zone. If I can be an experienced trooper and still potentially die (and if you get unlucky you can die no matter how good you are at appropriate level), something is wrong with it. It should not be standard operating procedure to abuse the nearby phase line to complete the room.

Posts in this thread are garbage. I'm as elitist as anyone but that's the NEWBIE zone. If I can be an experienced trooper and still potentially die (and if you get unlucky you can die no matter how good you are at appropriate level), something is wrong with it. It should not be standard operating procedure to abuse the nearby phase line to complete the room.

I absolutely agree. I breezed through the rest of the fortress, and then came to this area. I got discouraged, so I decided to level to 10 before trying it again. Very discouraging for a noob zone, even if it is one of the final quests. One weird thing I noticed was that, unlike other story areas, the mobs seem to respawn, and fast. I killed the first three, and was starting on the second, when I'm getting fired on from behind. The Imperial Guard I had just killed respawned and was hitting me hard. I managed to escape through the green door, but I think it was too challenging, especially for a quest you have to do. The rest of the fortress was great though, and good difficulty for the level.

It can be tough, I did it at level 9 tonight and that was with 4 blue pieces (comm bp and heroic wrist/pants/boot).

The problem mobs were those two Strong Imperial Duelists (I think is what they're called?) with the dual pistols, gunslingers like someone else said. If you're not paying attention they can drop 75% of your health in 4-5 seconds, and that's not counting the extra damage the Standard Imperial Officer mobs can do (they also have more health than others).

I survived both fights against those duelist guys, but yes, they're a hell of a lot more difficult than ANY other mob you face in that place; they put out more damage than even the Elite savrips.

So while it's not impossible by any means, you can't blame people for finding the difficulty discrepancy a bit offputting.

You are so bad it makes my eyes hurt. I mean people are actually complaining about this? I did it without Mortar Volley, at about level 8 - Ion Pulse just wrecks everything. Make sure you have med kits with you (save em up, you won't need em before this) and perhaps an endurance stim. Then just do it. Don't get into the second tier of ammo regen (so weave Hammer Shot), focus fire on specific targets (weak -> normal -> strong, lots of normal / weak mobs damage can add up very fast) and just play intelligently.

Are you seriously suggesting that this quest is going to affect the size of the Trooper population as a whole?

Notsureiftrolling.. orjustreallystupid.jpg