We need something like Gearscore.

Gehoornde

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gearscore tells me that even if he is good, the person can't do the much dps. He is simply limited by his gear. And I know it's a jerk thing to do but when I want a clean fast run, I take the people who will do the most. As to the other person, if you read my post carefully, I say that I don't know if he is skilled or not. But at least if he is, he can do much more than the person in greens.

And to the person who says that the guy in greens is "doing his part", that may be so but his part isn't equal to the other people's "parts". Why should I let him in my raid when he will do less than other people and end up being carried. How will these other people who did more than him feel when he wins a piece of gear he didn't deserve as much as them?

judging by what you seem to be looking for i believe a damage meter would be the better solution then gearscore, then you could simply ask people what their dps/hps is and go by that. a damage meter i can get behind since more of a measure of skill then gearscore will ever or could ever be.

Gearscore tells me that even if he is good, the person can't do the much dps. He is simply limited by his gear

Again false. Skill limits dps even more than gear. You can have all the greates gear but you still dont know what de-buffs to apply, what dot's to use, when it is time for aoe and when for direct 1 mob damage. You dont know when to move from enemys aoe or how to use crowd control to aid your team. You may not be able to heal or tank and save the group if emergency situation comes. Majority of things that make player a real good player cannot be measured by computer but only by observing how someone plays and that as well is not as simple as it sounds.

Bioware,

Please allow us to have a gearscore-alike addon. I don't care if it's 3rd party or not.

Right now there is simply NO way to know if another player has skill or not. Adding a simple gearscore sort of thing would fix alot of issues with grouping and I'm not even 50 yet.

What's gonna happen once I enter end-game content? Wipe over and over until I found a good bunch of skilled players? That would take ages.

So please, allow us to have Gearscore or something, to fasten the process to detect skilled players. It's not even a matter of EZ-mode, just saves time. And in the long run, it will save you from a mass exodus of people unsubbing.

Thank you.

EDIT: I'm sorry if I sound elitist, but if you take gaming serious and want to be best of the best in every game you need a minimum of skilltesting without wasting time on talking/grouping/inspecting. I'm sorry if so many if you are offended. I like it pro. Deal with it.

your a ******* what does gear score say nothing about how anyone plays there little panda

LOL gearscore does not equal Skillscore. It was only the unskilled, uneducated players of WOW(not ALL WOW players just the unskilled uneducated ones) who thought that was true. Gearscore was the worst addon ever created for the simple reasons of people like you OP who thought it meant skill. "LFG 25 man naxx, MUST HAVE 5k GS". I am willing to beat you wore pieces that where not for your class/lower stats on them just because they had a high GS. Edited by Yuichix

Sorry OP but you got that one wrong ;)

Gearscore has nothing to do with "skill" and never had.

The most common thing people use GS for, is to determine if a player has the gear (read: dps, mana for heals etc.) to be able to down a boss.

That has nothing to do with "skill" but rather "time" invested in a game.

HF & GL.

But gear means absolutely NOTHING. I can go "gear" an alt @ 50 for EASILY less than 100k credits. That doesn't mean I know jack **** about playing it though.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in china ?

If two strangers to me are sending tells and they both want in a pug.. the best gear gets picked PURELY based on the fact that his higher level gear "CAN" output far more damage based on the NUMBERS...

If he gets in and he stinks... you boot him and try someone else.

People are looking for the best case scenario to succeed in random pugs, and in an MMO gear is the deciding factor.

Skill can not be used to decide because at that point it TIME no one knows! Rather than blindly letting just anyone in a pug - people ask to see achievements and check gear to minimize fail groups.

I am not disputing alts with crap gear being played by fully capable mains being skilled players or any of the other garbage people keep puking out...

Urban myth here ^. There is no company paying somebody to down a boss in a video game. If you believe that a company actually would, I have a real fully functional light saber that I will sell ya for a million dollars. It was used only twice and both times to kill Darth Vader.

You would be horrible at advertising a company then. Let's see, a small insignificant (to the company) bonus for getting on the front page of news site, with a tagline "____ world first kill! sponsored by ____"... does not seem unreasonable.

By this logic, noone is paying people to win in FPS / RTS games (modern warfare, starcraft). Hell, some koreans have an entire career and fanbase solely from starcraft gaming.

I am not disputing alts with crap gear being played by fully capable mains being skilled players or any of the other garbage people keep puking out...

but your dismissing it as collateral damage and nothing more with all the garbage you keep puking out....

Elite players dont need gearscore my friend.

Elite players dont PuG on new content.

Elite players rarely PuG on any content unless they overgear it themselves and can carry lower geared or lesser skilled players.

Elite players are invited to Elite guilds and therefore do not need to see unknown players gearscore.

An Elite player would know this.

Ergo: you are a pompous self important nobody looking for skilled players to carry you, or, you are a troll.

I agree 100% with this, but unfortunately this would take alot of time since you can't know from 1 run. If you're an elite player like me, you can't waste time on testing people just to find out they're scrubs. So Gearscore would fasten that process alot.

If your an elite player why are you running with pugs ?

You should know how skilled your guild and friends are.... if your pugging, well sorry your just looking for easy mode with over geared people for content thus wanting gear score to aid you in your crusade to be carried through content (so you can parade in your drops and claim to be skilled).

What does that have to do with the price of tea in china ?

If two strangers to me are sending tells and they both want in a pug.. the best gear gets picked PURELY based on the fact that his higher level gear "CAN" output far more damage based on the NUMBERS...

If he gets in and he stinks... you boot him and try someone else.

People are looking for the best case scenario to succeed in random pugs, and in an MMO gear is the deciding factor.

Skill can not be used to decide because at that point it TIME no one knows! Rather than blindly letting just anyone in a pug - people ask to see achievements and check gear to minimize fail groups.

That WAS my point. You guys are saying that gearscore == skillscore, and you just refuted your own argument by saying "if he gets in and sucks, I boot him"...well duh, it's kind of obvious that gearscore means nothing then.

I agree with you that there is a CHANCE the higher geared person is more "skilled", because they either "bought" it or spent the time getting it; but that doesn't mean there is a correlation between the two.

And even then, you should be asking them more than just "gearscore? achiev?". Any nitwit can answer those and waste your time in the "pug".

I left WoW when gearscore "abuse" was getting rampant. There are other ways to find out how skilled someone is, the chief being (and favored by many in the WoW community): having some form of training dummy that you have to reach a certain DPS/heals/threat level against to be accepted into harder dungeons/raids/etc.

Edited by LeSamourai

I like OP because he managed to get 25 pages out of this thread and that's a pretty impressive troll. The second I read it I was thinking 8, maybe 9/10. Look at the highlights here. He equates gear to skill, that's awesome. He calls himself elitist, which is another good move, imo. And mentioning that it should be native but if it's not he wants a 3rd party addon for it? That is just icing on the cake for some people.

Take note, those who would start pointless threads for the purpose of making people argue on the internet: this man is your new king. "We need LF-FP" is so last week. "I'm quitting SWTOR and going back to WoW" is just not going to cut it anymore. This man has raised the bar. Step your game up.

Edited by Lokiliesmith

Bioware,

Please allow us to have a gearscore-alike addon. I don't care if it's 3rd party or not.

Right now there is simply NO way to know if another player has skill or not. Adding a simple gearscore sort of thing would fix alot of issues with grouping and I'm not even 50 yet.

What's gonna happen once I enter end-game content? Wipe over and over until I found a good bunch of skilled players? That would take ages.

So please, allow us to have Gearscore or something, to fasten the process to detect skilled players. It's not even a matter of EZ-mode, just saves time. And in the long run, it will save you from a mass exodus of people unsubbing.

Thank you.

EDIT: I'm sorry if I sound elitist, but if you take gaming serious and want to be best of the best in every game you need a minimum of skilltesting without wasting time on talking/grouping/inspecting. I'm sorry if so many if you are offended. I like it pro. Deal with it.

its people like you that ruin games.

Elite players dont need gearscore my friend.

Elite players dont PuG on new content.

Elite players rarely PuG on any content unless they overgear it themselves and can carry lower geared or lesser skilled players.

Elite players are invited to Elite guilds and therefore do not need to see unknown players gearscore.

An Elite player would know this.

Ergo: you are a pompous self important nobody looking for skilled players to carry you, or, you are a troll.

^ This. Anyone who is in a truly bleeding edge elite progression guild, definitely isn't going to be bringing in pugs to clear raids.

Bioware,

Thank you.

I dont care if youre joking, being sarcastic or serious ... please burn in hell. That is all.

Again false. Skill limits dps even more than gear. You can have all the greates gear but you still dont know what de-buffs to apply, what dot's to use, when it is time for aoe and when for direct 1 mob damage. You dont know when to move from enemys aoe or how to use crowd control to aid your team. You may not be able to heal or tank and save the group if emergency situation comes. Majority of things that make player a real good player cannot be measured by computer but only by observing how someone plays and that as well is not as simple as it sounds.

Blah blah blah.. ok, so riddle me this:

I'm in a pug looking for some stranger to fill a spot - what method would you have me use, excluding gear and remembering that there is NO measure of a players skill prior to seeing them in action.

Just let any random person in? LOL

Edited by Knyghtprowler

Bioware,

Thank you.

This … this just HAS to be a new record of how long it takes for a community to turn toxic. And for those saying s/he’s just a troll, even if that is the case, the mentality is still very much present, and that’s a bad thing.

We need Gearscore? Really?

Frankly, it’s people with your mindset that have made the playerbase (not the game, I stress) so unlikable in WoW. Heaven forbid you take a few moments to play with someone before deciding they’re simply not good enough to group with you. No, you want an arbitrary number you can use to judge people.

I can only wonder how long it will be until cries of ‘LFG for Black Talon, must have title to prove you completed the instance to join’ become commonplace, just as they have in WoW for dungeons and heroics and raids.

I admit, it took awhile in WoW before the playerbase, initially relieved to get away from the ‘Raid or Die’ mentality of Everquest (or having never played EQ, not even knowing about being elitist, and only roped in by WoW lore), started down this path. I guess we’re just seeing the natural evolution of the generic MMO community follow the same route. Wow. Only fifteen days, barely over two weeks, and we’re seeing the same thing here.

I really am sorry to say this, because it isn’t nice to say to anyone, but you (the OP) and your mindset are what’s wrong with online gaming today. Imagine this mindset in Little League, or any non-professional sports, that if you weren’t able to constantly hit home runs you shouldn’t be allowed to play. Does this strike you as fair? Is it how you grew up? Because if it isn’t, if you weren’t among the best (or if you weren’t, then you didn’t play sports, right?), you’re awfully hypocritical now, aren’t you? Do you live the rest of your life this way? Do you not play this game … well, as a GAME? Is it so serious, so important, that everyone has to live up to your standards of gear (and presumably skill, despite it being obvious from EQ and WoW that top-level gear does not and never did automatically equate to top-level skill)?

The arrogance is overwhelming. People complain about “welfare epics,” about how the games are being watered down to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Well, it pretty much is just the other side of the arrogance coin we’re seeing here. You’ve never run the instance before? You don’t have peak gear? You’re a scrub, a noob, fill in the blank with your favorite insult, and you don’t deserve to play with those who have crowned themselves the best of the best.

Anyone old enough to remember the old commercials … “how can I get a job with no experience? And how can I get experience without a job?” Welcome to the Catch-22 of MMORPGs and the clash between the people who think they are the best, and those who by definition can never GET there because of said elitists. “Oh, you never went through Black Talon? Tough luck, noob! Find another group, I’m not slowing my game-play to babysit you!” Never mind that the people with that mindset had a first time, too. Unless they checked something like a youtube walkthrough, weren’t they in the same position once? But no, these people believe, rightly or wrongly, that they are simply better than other players.

Here’s a suggestion to those who feel as the OP does: Don’t group with anyone who isn’t a friend or guildmate. Then you don’t have to suffer the great unwashed playerbase. Sure, you’ll severely limit your source of potential groupmates, but at least you won’t have to suffer another “baddie,” right?

I’m sorry, but from what I can see, not only is this a game NOT intended for the hardcore raiders, but unless you were constantly at the top, never needing, asking for, or accepting help, you really don’t have the right to make the comments you have. Not and be intellectually honest or consistent, anyway.

I am so very grateful I do not consider myself an elite player who can’t be bothered to play with anyone who doesn’t meet my exacting specifications, especially in this game … no, I actually play to have fun.

Man, fifteen days. Congratulations for giving an awful impression of the playerbase to this brand, spanking-new game.

Take it and run,

I'm in a pug looking for some stranger to fill a spot - what method would you have me use, excluding gear and remembering that there is NO measure of a players skill prior to seeing them in action.

I just let the first one to whisper me in, if he turns out bad, I'll replace him.

Simple as that.

I just get the first ones that ask. Usually they do well and if not i tell them how it is supposed to be done or how to better themselves. If they dont want to listen/improve we boot em. Simple as that.

Still even i require some sort of decent gear with right stats/spec and armor type but that can simply be seen by inspecting people. I also preferr folks that dont use dual spec since they are usually dedicated to their class/role and know very well how to play it well and even do things outside their role if required.

Bioware,

Thank you.

Fail troll is Fail...

If you're as good as you claim it wouldn't matter who you filled the spot with.

If you judge gear by how good a player is i think its you that might be the so called 'scrub' gear has no common ground with skill in the slightest.

For example:

Player A in blues

Player B in Purples (both players are DPS)

'Player A' moves out of the AoE, knows the tactics, can pump out high DPS but has not had the same opportunity as 'Player B' who has been spoon fed at every stage of the game slow to react to AoE/incoming damage, has terrible DPS and doesn't know what side of the bread to butter when it comes to tactics. But because this player has been carried in HC's/Raids by 15 other players they have the gear.

So what your saying is because 'Player B' has PURPLES YAY \o/ this player MUST be the better player ...................... you my friend is what's wrong with the whole MMO community. You assess people with no knowledge of who they are or what they have done previously in gaming. I think ive just found the major flaw on your theory ................... ;)

This was on page 5 of the topic. It wins this thread. Why did it even continue?