Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

SWTOR More Active Players than WoW!

Tiriensoul

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use to run that Wow Addon about 5 years ago. You have to go into a Zone and type /who. Move to next zone and repeat process. After an evening of that crap you had to go to the website and upload your results. This was added to the numbers form other players doing the same thing.

At best it was a snapshot of a blurred period of time...

As far as Wow subscriptions totals if you were to ever read the details when Blizzard releases these numbers they make a point to confirm it is ONLY THOSE PAID account. Does not include trial accounts , free months or accounts that do not require a monthly fee. Take a minute to look one up and you will see for yourself.

World Of Warcraft:

World of Warcraft has total of 266435 players weekly average logged on peak hours in US and EU regions combined.

Link: http://www.warcraftrealms.com/weeklyfactionactivity.php

Star Wars The Old Republic:

The firm estimates that TOR has approximately 350,000 peak concurrent users spread across 215 servers.

Link: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/03/research-firm-swtor-has-350-000-peak-concurrent-users/

Source: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1057141-SWTOR-has-more-active-players-than-WOW-atm-in-US-and-EU-regions

Just found it, take it for what it is. But kinda neat anyway, if it's true ofcourse.

I don't care about either, as long as BioWare gets enough money to give us expansions and me a new car, boat & house.

:)

You mean a game that had a $100 million marketing campaign is edging out a seven year old game!? MY GOD!

Let's see where SWTOR is in three months. Hint - F2P.

I use to run that Wow Addon about 5 years ago. You have to go into a Zone and type /who. Move to next zone and repeat process. After an evening of that crap you had to go to the website and upload your results. This was added to the numbers form other players doing the same thing.

As far as Wow subscriptions totals if you were to ever read the details when Blizzard releases these numbers they make a point to confirm it is ONLY THOSE PAID account. Does not include trial accounts , free months or accounts that do not require a monthly fee. Take a minute to look one up and you will see for yourself.

Stop posting sense in these forums. The locals dont take to well to sense.

Fanbois walk in a single file to hide there numbers.

You mean a game that had a $100 million marketing campaign is edging out a seven year old game!? MY GOD!

Let's see where SWTOR is in three months. Hint - F2P.

you are joking right? Have you not seen WoW pumping out the new rounds of commericials? I bet WoW has spent far more these past months on their marketing campaign then SWTOR

you are joking right? Have you not seen WoW pumping out the new rounds of commericials? I bet WoW has spent far more these past months on their marketing campaign then SWTOR

This game is *********** terrible, and it's really sad that some people sincerely believe it's going to succeed. Does this honestly strike you as a $300 million product? Seriously?

And for ****s sake, stop comparing it to a game that came out seven years ago. This game cost more than *********** Avatar to make. It's sad. It's trash. And worst of all? I paid for a Deluxe Edition because I thought it would be fun and groundbreaking like they had suggested.

Sure, a handful of mediocre players will stick around and endure anything because Star Wars, and that's their choice, but this game is just horrendous. Admit it. Nothing works properly, nothing is balanced and they clearly learned nada from well over a decade of other MMOs.

Feb 1 will be interesting. EA's earnings are out and I am sure in the webcast analysts will be all over them for sub numbers.

They can't really comment now due to legal issues prior to earnings release which is why you haven't seen anything from them. They can't comment. They are in what is referred to as the 'quiet period'.

They however, don't distinguish between unique accounts and subscribers with multiple accounts, unique individual players account for a lot less than the numbers they are so quick to boast about.

They however, don't distinguish between unique accounts and subscribers with multiple accounts, unique individual players account for a lot less than the numbers they are so quick to boast about.

That's because from a financial standpoint it's irrelevant. They are all PAYING accounts.

This game is *********** terrible, and it's really sad that some people sincerely believe it's going to succeed. Does this honestly strike you as a $300 million product? Seriously?

And for ****s sake, stop comparing it to a game that came out seven years ago. This game cost more than *********** Avatar to make. It's sad. It's trash. And worst of all? I paid for a Deluxe Edition because I thought it would be fun and groundbreaking like they had suggested.

This game didn't cost 300 million to make, the 300 million was part of the acquisition of BioWare from EA, not sole production costs for the game, learn to read.

He's also plain wrong. Everyone who knows how to use google already knows Blizz pads their numbers with Asians paying by the minute.

That's because from a financial standpoint it's irrelevant. They are all PAYING accounts.

Except that isn't the point they are trying to make when they boast about the numbers.

"5 Million paying players and over 5 Million paying gold spammers!" doesn't sound quite as good oddly enough. It's very relevant when you look at the point they're trying to make.

Edited by Osster

Except that isn't the point they are trying to make when they boast about the numbers.

"5 Million paying players and over 5 Million paying gold spammers!" doesn't sound quite as good oddly enough. It's very relevant when you look at the point they're trying to make.

5 million gold spammers? Really? Five? Million?

Read this crap before you post it. If there were one thousand bots to human farmer, that would be half a million jobs and be featured in the Economist, NPR, etc. etc.

Why does this post keep getting bumped? It adds zero to gameplay discussion and is basically a troll.

That said, can someone explain to me how being the 14th best selling game in December constitutes having 'more active' players than WOW. The reason some analysts lowered estimates is due to the fact that only 600,000 boxes sold in Dec. That doesn't include digital but even digital would have to be massive for some of the analyst estimates to be hit.

Can we just stop with the wow obsession and focus on TOR?

well yeah its a new game also(hint people like to try out new games)

and its very CPU demanding game (hint: people tends to not have good enough hardware to run it yet, and more players will be coming all the time, whenever they upgrade PCs)

He's also plain wrong. Everyone who knows how to use google already knows Blizz pads their numbers with Asians paying by the minute.

You know, this is just my personal opinion, however, I do think that both EA and BW would be jumping up and down in joy untill they displaced the axis of the earth if they were able to pad their subscriber numbers with asians paying by the minute.

A paying customer is still a paying customer.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.