The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Forced to change my character name?

Spankyjnco

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have a character named Çhewbacca think anyone will notice on my RP server?

And for that matter, do special ALT+Numerical Characters count as the same letter they "seem" to be?

of course

That may be so, but the email I got said that it was because the name WAS vulgar.

And there are so many non RP (im not on a rp server anyway) names it is unreal.

EvilJimbo

Supermann

ToeJam

Harley

The list goes on... and on...

named my SI achoo

still have not got a force change

There's also an NPC named Toybox in, IIRC, Balmorra.

Really, Bioware's moderation policy has always been "if someone reports it we infract it." They don't bother to care if it's actually a just infraction or not.

Not true. I've reported a name that resulted in the ticket saying that the name was not deemed offensive. Oh yes, I'm a snitch.

I saw someone with the legacy name "Ballsack" on the Mind Trick server.... and they're not forced to change THEIR legacy name? ***?

Did you report it!?! The GM's have plenty to do, I don't think they go thru the names in their spare time.

I'd honestly even ROLEPLAYE with someone called

Spanky.

Sounds like a name for a young snarky little smuggler.

But yes if BW wants to enforce naming rules..

Do consider people like womensrights.

I even had someone with a Do'urden legacy name

and some legacy name Nannybooboo...

And a player named Fus'Roh'Dah! <-- But this one makes me laugh.

Women can have all the rights they want when they are obligated to sign up for the draft like men are.

Just kidding. I believe women should have rights regardless of that. But seriously? Our govt is obviously hypocritical. Uhh... wait what was this topic about?

Oh ya, Spanky... the people who actually see how that could be offensive would not be offended by it, they would find it funny.

Edited by Bantic

Honestly, I'm on an RP server and I see absolutely nothing wrong with this name

On my server we have "Womensrights" and "Derptastic" and crap like this that hasn't been changed. Hell, Womensrights is probably nearly 50 now. It's not like he was some newly created level 5.

If they're going to crack down on names, then they better damn well do it properly. Asking someone to change 'Spanky' but not "Womensrights" on a RP server is ridiculous

I wouldnt hold my breath

Was a big issue in the RolePlay foprum but they got out voiced by the "any name is ok on a RP server" posters.

At this point the only way Bioware can even claim to have RP servers is if they make new ones where naming will be enforced (as you cant start changing 10,000+ bad ones at this late date).

But on a non RP server I see nothing wrong with Spanky either.

Literally 70 names on my ignore list from the two servers I play on that id change before Spanky

I will not be voiced out about names. Sure, even on an RP server, some off names are a non issue. They may not be 'Star Warsy'ish" but if they don't offend or risk a copyright issue, then I decided case by case.

But as far as 'any name I want" goes..Star wars was and still is a family friendly setting. No one has ever had a messy disembowlment. You don't see mass graves. Quentin Tarantino didn't direct Darth Maul getting sliced in half. The violence is suggestive. And the dialog is never offensive to anyone in the audiance, including names. I sometimes put the game on the TV at the same time, or have my 5yo son help me play (he has Down Syndrome and doing stuff on the comp helps with learning). I don't care if you pay 15$ or not, but these are names I have seen or read about here (PC and Guild), and I ticketed them without a second thought (I will censor myself).

"I hate n*****s"

"analmakesmesmile"

"jediTicklemyb***s"

"wizardfaggot"

"JediareF*****s"

And I am sure I forgot some. These types of names are not just stupid. They are offensive, and in some cases harrasing to real world people. players of these PC's shouldn't be asked for a name change. Their accounts should be banned.

And shame on Bioware for NOT taking names like this seroius if/when they come up, and for not just having a ToS and saying it apllies to ALL servers To say otherwise is a lie. Let me make a PC on a "we don't enforce name rules here server" named "JamesOhlen(add offense of choice here) and see how long it last. I am sure it's closer to say that on some servers they pay more attentoin, others they let the community self regulate. (BTW I have never met James Ohlen but I am sure he's a great guy and don't plan on really making said PC).

Some issues with the game are obnoxious at best, annoying at worst, to me. but this topic really gets to me. You pay 15$ to "rent" space on their servers. And the other "renters" expect the community to be resepctful. And just like in real life, you can choose to break a rule (who doesn't) but don't be surprised or upset when you are offensive, and get that email that you're banned for being stupid.